Gransnet forums

Chat

Lurpak butter

(45 Posts)
glammagran Mon 04-Apr-22 14:25:19

I have used Lurpak unsalted butter for many, many years. Waitrose have said there is no demand for this product and have discontinued selling it. When I enquired in store the person I spoke to said many people had been asking for unsalted Lurpak. I’m amazed as we are told to consume less salt and I really dislike salted butter. I just hope it’s only Waitrose that has stopped selling it.

crazyH Mon 04-Apr-22 17:35:04

Just bought Lurpak Unsalted x 2, from Tesco

muse Mon 04-Apr-22 18:25:53

We do love Lurpak but only buy salted version both block and soft.

Our Morrison's currently have Lurpak salted block on offer but my favourite is our local one, Trewithen Dairy Cornish Salted. It's always under £2 at our Morrisons.

muse Mon 04-Apr-22 18:28:53

+ Morrisons have the unsalted Lurpak block on offer too £1.77

Blossoming Mon 04-Apr-22 19:21:59

Maw we do the same with the big block.

giulia Mon 04-Apr-22 19:55:01

Lurpak easily found in most supermarkets here in Italy but more expensive than most Italian makes. I far prefer Italian butter anyway.

SueDonim Mon 04-Apr-22 22:02:19

I was just coming on to say that Morrison’s had plenty of unsalted Lurpak today. I don’t like Lurpak myself but this thread had made me take note.

Loulelady Tue 05-Apr-22 00:21:55

You are all wrong as Kerrygold is the King of all butters!

kittylester Tue 05-Apr-22 06:50:40

We used to love Kerrygold but this is currently our favourite.

Waitrose used to do a Cornish salted butter but stopped.

SpringyChicken Tue 05-Apr-22 07:41:03

I always buy British butter on principle.

PECS Tue 05-Apr-22 08:04:29

I aim to buy as 'local' as possible. I do eat meat but far less than in the past, both for ecological & health reasons, & our local butcher sources his stock from local farms..he also sells a local butter. ?

Scribbles Tue 05-Apr-22 08:18:06

I prefer Waitrose or M&S own brand unsalted butter to Lurpak which has always seemed a bit tasteless to me.

Nannee49 Tue 05-Apr-22 09:00:52

Loulelady, another kerrygold fan here! It's from grass fed cows as Nature intended.

Georgesgran Tue 05-Apr-22 09:06:19

I buy British on principle too. I’d also read somewhere that Danish animal welfare is nowhere near as good as ours which stopped me buying Lurpak years ago. I stand to be corrected on that.

25Avalon Tue 05-Apr-22 09:11:55

I stopped buying Anchor when it was no longer free range from New Zealand. Never liked Lurpak which is too white for my taste. Interestingly it was Commonwealth v EU products if you think about it. Now I buy Waitrose Duchy Originals organic butter which I know is from grass fed cows. There are plenty of salt free butters out there but most are more yellow so may not be to your taste if you prefer white.

I think however a lot of stores are still stocking and selling Lurpak so could just be a Waitrose thing and may only be particular to your store. I had this when they stopped selling Rodda’s clotted cream claiming there was no demand -in a West Country store?! I spoke to the manager. He explained about their stock holdings varying from store to store. As he was a Cornishman Rodda’s was reinstated and I learnt how to pronounce it!! So I suggest talk to manager.

Maggiemaybe Tue 05-Apr-22 09:25:27

Georgesgran

I buy British on principle too. I’d also read somewhere that Danish animal welfare is nowhere near as good as ours which stopped me buying Lurpak years ago. I stand to be corrected on that.

We must have read the same article, Georgesgran. smile I stopped buying Danish butter and bacon many years ago for the same reason.

Things may have changed, of course, but I buy British whenever I can now anyway.

Witzend Tue 05-Apr-22 09:34:46

Georgesgran

AFAIK our animal welfare laws are somewhat tighter than EU law. Given the vast amount of Danish bacon on our supermarket shelves, not to mention the comparatively rather cheaper (compared to U.K. source) Dutch and German pork and gammon I see in Asda, I would imagine that the amount of more extreme factory-farming that goes on within the EU is pretty staggering.

We don’t eat much bacon, pork or gammon any more at all, but when I do occasionally want any I buy it from a higher-welfare, U.K. source.
Asda does still stock U.K. bacon though.

I don’t suppose I was the only one who was appalled to read of the 17 million mink - presumably factory farmed - that had to be mass-slaughtered in Denmark, early on in the pandemic.
And most of the pelts, so I read, would have been destined for China, which is not noticeably bothered about animal welfare, either.

Pepper59 Tue 05-Apr-22 10:09:50

Due to health issues, we don't eat butter though had Anchor as a child. I did know some folks who wouldn't have anything but Lurpak and I liked it occasionally when I could eat butter. It's such a hit and miss with shopping now. I'm still trying to adapt with what I can and can't get.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 06-Apr-22 00:34:54

25Avalon Anchor butter is made in Wiltshire.

25Avalon Wed 06-Apr-22 07:52:08

Oopsadaisy1

25Avalon Anchor butter is made in Wiltshire.

Quite. It is no longer grass fed free range cows as per the old ad of the singing cows - remember that? It is no longer made from the milk of those lovely Jersey looking ladies. It is British milk yes but could be any cows. Hence my switch to Duchy Originals and very very expensive Ivy House butter from organic Jersey cows in Wiltshire, which is a deep yellow colour.