Gransnet forums

Chat

Seaside resorts, Day Trips!

(56 Posts)
Audi10 Sat 09-Apr-22 11:35:31

Which seaside place would you recommend visiting! No children with us just a group of 4 ladies! Wondering whether to visit Ramsgate, Margate, Yarmouth, Brighton, which one has the nicest beach! And the nicest bars , restaurants,etc

tanith Sat 09-Apr-22 12:01:36

Brighton has a steep/stepped pebbly beach but plenty of shops etc, the others are sandy but I’ve not been for a long time, I like Yarmouth beach best of the ones mentioned it was a bit run down last time I was there though.
I’m sure others will know more than me hope you have a good time.

Shandy57 Sat 09-Apr-22 12:05:23

I was house hunting and went to Kent, I wouldn't recommend any of their beaches.

Come to Northumberland, Bamburgh beach is the nicest.

Kate1949 Sat 09-Apr-22 12:10:04

I agree Shandy. We holidayed in Northumberland a few years ago. What a fabulous place.

MissAdventure Sat 09-Apr-22 12:14:16

For eclectic bars and restaurants, Btighton is lovely, albeit the pebbly beach.

How about Hastings? That seems to be a mix of the best places.

I love a day at the seaside! smile

GagaJo Sat 09-Apr-22 12:20:02

I second Northumberland beaches. Go to a less well known one and you may be the only one on it.

If it's just the beach you want, Blackpool has gorgeous beaches. I'm not keen on all the tackiness that goes with Blackpool tho.

And of course, Norfolk. Southwold, Aldbrough.

blue25 Sat 09-Apr-22 12:31:01

In Kent I’d go for Deal, Broadstairs or Whitstable.

eazybee Sat 09-Apr-22 12:35:18

Bournemouth and the surrounding coast has beautiful beaches and good cafes and restaurants, but the shops and parking are dreadful .

MissAdventure Sat 09-Apr-22 12:46:17

The parking is terrible in Brighton, too.

MissAdventure Sat 09-Apr-22 12:48:20

I have heard that Weymouth is lovely.
It all depends on where you're travelling from, and what you're planning to do at the seaside.

Callistemon21 Sat 09-Apr-22 12:49:39

If it's a day trip then it depends on your starting point.

Whitstable? known for its seafood
Brighton - trendy and the beach is pebbly but fine for walking
Bournemouth - disappointing last time I went

For something completely different how about Dungeness?

Fernbergien Sat 09-Apr-22 12:52:58

I like Sidmouth. Lovely walk along front. Plenty of places to sit down. Nice shops. Donkey sanctuary nearby.

Fernbergien Sat 09-Apr-22 12:53:43

Also lovely park at west end of sea front.

MissAdventure Sat 09-Apr-22 12:58:12

Someone ought to arrange a gransnet day out to the seaside. smile

Mildmanneredgran Sat 09-Apr-22 12:58:21

Hove? Notting Hill by the Sea.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-Apr-22 13:08:29

A second vote for Southwold and Aldbrough in Suffolk.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 09-Apr-22 13:08:49

Definitely not Yarmouth if you’re looking for a nice day out and some shopping. It’s a very poor place nowadays.

MissAdventure Sat 09-Apr-22 13:09:34

I've never heard of Notting Hill by the sea.
I'm intrigued, now.

TopsyIrene06 Sat 09-Apr-22 13:10:09

Bamburgh, Northumberland or West Runton, Norfolk although haven't been since the pandemic.

sodapop Sat 09-Apr-22 13:13:53

I agree with GSM Gt Yarmouth is quite a deprived area now, all the big name stores have pulled out and nothing to replace them.
Third vote for Southwold and Aldeburgh. The North Norfolk coast is lovely and Holt is good for shopping, or at least it was a few years ago.

aquagran Sat 09-Apr-22 13:20:41

Brighton is seedy now.

trisher Sat 09-Apr-22 13:21:45

Bamburgh is a lovely beach but a bit deserted. For more bars and restaurants come down the coast to Cullercoats or Tynemouth. Lovely market on Sat and Sun, seafront cafes, and Newcastle with its shops and theatres is only a short metro ride away. (I feel safe telling you this, because I suspect you are down south somewhere and this is too far)

Soozikinzi Sat 09-Apr-22 13:27:38

Anglesey is beautiful and has the coast path if its not too far ?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 09-Apr-22 13:43:48

Holt isn’t as good for shopping these days sodapop. Quite a few shops have closed. I live nearby and love North Norfolk. There are some lovely beaches such as Holkham and a trip on the Poppy Line steam railway from Holt or Sheringham is very enjoyable but I wouldn’t recommend the area to anyone wanting to combine a day trip with the beach and some shopping. For shopping you really have to go to Norwich which is a long way from the seaside so a weekend away is the better bet.

Cressida Sat 09-Apr-22 13:47:42

Have a look on You Tube for video's posted by Walk With Tim

He has visited many seaside resorts in summer and winter and his videos will give you an idea of what the resorts are like.

Here's 'Great Yarmouth in Winter' to get you started. youtu.be/FfZjd3b3YXM