Gransnet forums

Chat

So, today we are going to look at mattresses ?

(34 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Mon 18-Apr-22 09:08:53

Where do we start? We’ve already had a difference of opinion and we are still at home.
He seems to think the more expensive the better, I keep banging on about the Premier inn’s Hypnos which I have always found comfortable.
We have had a Tempur but would like a change. It has done well for years but is past it now.
My education was wasted , I should have done a degree in mattress suitability.

TOO MUCH CHOICE.

Grandmabatty Mon 18-Apr-22 09:10:38

Separate beds!!

Smileless2012 Mon 18-Apr-22 09:18:49

A zip and link mattress. Would need to be the same make but if you have different requirements regarding firmness for example, this enables you to have what you both prefer without the need for separate beds.

PamelaJ1 Mon 18-Apr-22 09:48:51

smileless We are happy with having an all in one.

It’s like buying a car I think. I have a feeling that we will come away from the transaction feeling that we haven’t really got what we want.
Imagine spending £5000 then being uncomfortable, he would never get a good nights sleep after that.
I would make sure of that?

geekesse Mon 18-Apr-22 11:42:50

I can’t recommend one, but I can warn you off. The Premier Inn one is fabulous to begin with. But after a couple of years, the topper breaks up and goes into ridges, especially a ridge down the middle of a shared double bed, and as it’s stitched in, you can’t remove or replace it. Remember that hotels change mattresses every year, so longevity isn’t important for them.

Oldbat1 Mon 18-Apr-22 11:48:44

Emma mattresses seem to be very popular. Husband was recommended Emma by his chemo nurse. Anyway he ordered one and is pleased with it - it is comfortable but I find it hot.

Saxifrage Mon 18-Apr-22 11:49:54

Go to the library and read the Which report. It shows that very reasonable priced mattresses can last just as long and be as comfortable as very expensive ones.

PamelaJ1 Mon 18-Apr-22 13:12:46

Saxefrage what a good idea. I didn’t know that the library would have Which. I keep toying with the idea of taking out a subscription now I won’t bother.

We have bought one now. Relyon with lots of wool and silk a other stuff in it, all very wholesome. Made in the U.K. too so what’s not to like! The assistant was very helpful and we decided we might not need one to last 30years so was very reasonably priced,

Sloegin Tue 19-Apr-22 03:14:18

I bought a Relyon bed with wool in the mattress. That was about 5 years ago and it still feels like new and very comfortable.

BigBertha1 Tue 19-Apr-22 06:51:18

Our Silent night Backcare is as good as they day we bought it four years ago. No till my together, can't feel it when other person gets up and down. £700.

BigBertha1 Tue 19-Apr-22 06:51:48

No rolling together!

shysal Tue 19-Apr-22 07:07:20

Next time I change my mattress I shall buy a Dormeo Octaspring. I have the topper and pillow at the moment which do a good job.

H1954 Tue 19-Apr-22 07:20:52

We went looking for a new mattress for our existing double bed. We ended up buying a kings size bed frame and two separate iGel mattresses. Absolute heaven! The mattresses cannot be turned over but we can top to tail them and we frequently swap OH mattress for mine to even out the wear - he's taller and heavier.
These smaller mattresses are so much easier to handle than a full size one, best purchase we've made in years.
We also change to single duvets, no tug of war on a cold night!

snowberryZ Tue 19-Apr-22 07:27:51

My only advice would be don't get a mattress that's too firm. Its almost as bad as having a mattress that's too soft.
A too soft mattress can give you a bad back but too firm can put pressure on shoulder joints.
Even some of the medium firm mattresses can be too hard.

MawtheMerrier Tue 19-Apr-22 07:29:26

geekesse

I can’t recommend one, but I can warn you off. The Premier Inn one is fabulous to begin with. But after a couple of years, the topper breaks up and goes into ridges, especially a ridge down the middle of a shared double bed, and as it’s stitched in, you can’t remove or replace it. Remember that hotels change mattresses every year, so longevity isn’t important for them.

Not my experience with my Hypnos as recommended by Premier Inn. I still love it and it must be at least 5 or 6 years old. Have to remember to twizzle it round every so often though.

YorkLady Tue 19-Apr-22 08:00:35

How on earth have I missed this thread. Spent all day yesterday looking at mattresses.. nearly bought a Relyon.
Ended up buying a wool and pocket sprung mattress, made by a British company called Millbrook.
It’s being delivered today ( I know, fantastic service) from a local company.
Hope I sleep well tonight.

Cabbie21 Tue 19-Apr-22 08:32:00

The last three mattresses we have had were made by Harrison, a British firm., but from John Lewis. They use all natural ingredients. The only drawback now is that we no longer have the strength to turn it. Being a king size it is very heavy. It has been really comfortable, yet supportive and with natural products does not feel hot. We have added a mattress topper for extra softness.

PamelaJ1 Tue 19-Apr-22 09:08:44

The very good thing about mattresses was that all the ones we looked at were British made.

JaneJudge Tue 19-Apr-22 09:10:30

We have a Sealy one which is lovely, it is the most expensive one they do I think. I long for a Harrison Spinks mattress though!

Witzend Tue 19-Apr-22 10:39:31

I do wonder about Tempur. Dd and SiL once found a king size one 2nd hand and relatively very cheap, from someone who’d had it only a short time.

Which should probably have been a warning. It was only a few months before dd and Sil sold it on - they found it far too hot. Mind you I think they’ve both got personal central heating - they hardly seem to feel the cold at all.

Katie59 Tue 19-Apr-22 13:23:33

We bought a new mattress last year it’s a pocket spring with an extra topper and firm springing, for us it’s the best mattress I’ve ever slept on, neither of us are lightweights so “firm” was right for us. It cost £1200 with all natural fillings, the equivalent with man made fillings was around half that.

Mention is made of Octaspring, it is very heavily advertised, obviously all plastic foam, what are they like after a few years use?.

MiniMoon Tue 19-Apr-22 13:40:46

I bought an emma mattress a couple of years ago. It is the best mattress I've ever slept on. I don't find it hot, even though I still suffer from hot flushes at night.

Soozikinzi Tue 19-Apr-22 14:18:52

We have Hypnos as recommended above . My husbands physio recommended them and as firm as you can stand for his bad back.Touch Wood he hasn't been troubled with it since. We have had relyon in the past which was also very good. We got free delivery from mynextmattress and a reasonable price- around £500

NotSpaghetti Tue 19-Apr-22 16:10:55

geekesse

The "premier inn" mattress is NOT the same as the ones on the hotel beds.
The hotel one has different specifications. I know this as I had (eventually) had the info from someone at the showroom in Castle Donington. They have a bed that is "made to a price pount" that "feels" like the Premier Inn bed.

NotSpaghetti Tue 19-Apr-22 16:11:29

Correction - *price point.