Gransnet forums

Chat

Calling parents but their first names….os it acceptable?

(113 Posts)
Sago Sun 01-May-22 14:11:55

My very lovely daughter in law calls her parents by their first names.

I have never asked her why.
They are a very traditional and loving family, no skeletons or weird stuff!

I would hate it if our children did the same, being Mum and Dad is so special and such a privilege.

Would it worry you?

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 03-May-22 13:52:51

I love being called Mum. When he’s being stern with me my son calls me Mother.?

Chardy Tue 03-May-22 15:14:39

People get to an amazing age when their siblings and friends are no more, and there is no-one left to use their name. I know one old lady, she's a real love, everyone calls her the family names mentioned above, even if they're not related. I couldn't call her Ma or Gran, so I asked her what her name is, and I call her that!

TheodoraP Tue 03-May-22 15:45:17

When my son was 2 for some reason he started calling his dad by his first name

I wasn't sure about that so I didn't allow it

But looking back now I don't know why bitchy an issue

NotSpaghetti Tue 03-May-22 16:20:07

Theodora, maybe you and others were calling him by his name - in which case it seems natural that your 2 year old might copy this.

Norah Tue 03-May-22 17:22:23

No. It would not worry me in the least, as it is my name.

TheodoraP Tue 03-May-22 20:30:13

I agree notspaghetti

Callistemon21 Tue 03-May-22 21:21:13

It wouldn't bother me but when DD called DH by his first name as a joke, her MIL was quite upset

Visgir1 Tue 03-May-22 23:36:36

My son around 2 yrs also called me by my First name for ages.
Years later his little daughter called him by his name as well.
My Dad we always know by his first name by myself, sister and all his Grandchildren.
Not unusual in my family.

MawtheMerrier Tue 03-May-22 23:37:33

But looking back now I don't know why bitchy an issue confusedconfused
Autocorrect has a lot to answer for sometimes! ??

JackyB Wed 04-May-22 10:03:32

Our parents (well mainly our father) were terrible snobs and aspirational social climbers so we always called them Mummy and Daddy. When she was well over 90 our DM asked us if we wanted to call her by her first name. My sister and I immediately said no - she had been Mummy for over 60 years - how could we change that?

My father always insisted from the birth of the first grandchild however that they should know him as Pat, which was his name, of course.

Luckygirl3 Wed 04-May-22 10:10:26

Is it "acceptable"? - of course - why might it nor be?

Beautful Sat 21-May-22 10:17:00

Personally I don't like it , my cousins children called them by their Christian names ... although when messing around being playful is completely different ... like the time my son called his dad Francis ... I said its Frank he was Christened Frank ... he said he wasn't Christened Dad but I have to call it him !!! Answer for everything ? ? ?