Gransnet forums

Chat

Who was in the wrong here?

(43 Posts)
Vintagejazz Sun 01-May-22 17:16:41

I was in a local cafe earlier with a friend. The cafe has a large downstairs area and a smaller upstairs area which is adults only. I would normally sit there I admit because it's quiet and peaceful.

Today a family trooped up with 3 children aged about 2-6. The manager insisted they sit downstairs despite the couple arguing there was a nicer view upstairs and they were paying customers.

My friend thought she was being a dragon, I thought the couple were unfair as it was clearly signed that upstairs was over 18 only.

Wondering what other gnetters think?

Galaxy Mon 02-May-22 10:56:19

Not quite a lone voice. I would have followed the rules but I wouldnt return.

timetogo2016 Mon 02-May-22 10:50:04

Agree with the manager.

Daisend1 Mon 02-May-22 10:43:49

If mobility issues were not my problem I would willingly climb a few stairs to have my' after shopping' refreshments
That's life.

Smileless2012 Mon 02-May-22 10:41:35

Good for the manager, as has been said the family could take their business else where.

BlueSky Mon 02-May-22 10:24:58

Calendar I‘m simply stating that if I wasn’t happy I would leave. The manager could very well be right, I don’t dispute that, I wouldn’t argue, just take my custom elsewhere. By the way I don’t have any young DGC so I do like peace and quiet myself!

Calendargirl Mon 02-May-22 10:16:45

You appear to be a lone voice in the wilderness BlueSky.

H1954 Mon 02-May-22 10:11:27

I'm with the management on this. They had clearly taken the initiative to reserve an area for adults and to be held nest, how many children appreciate a good view whilst having a cuppa?

No, the family who insisted they go up stairs are are in the wrong.

As a grandparent to 4 youngsters I would never have insisted we go somewhere where management had deemed it inappropriate and unacceptable.

Vintagejazz Mon 02-May-22 10:01:40

Much as I love babies and toddlers it really is bliss to be able to have a coffee and a chat without having to listen to wailing, shrieking and tantrums.

AussieNanna Mon 02-May-22 09:46:38

Yes I think this rule is reasonable and cafe owner is right here.

Like adults only areas in resorts and suchlike.

Grammaretto Mon 02-May-22 01:07:44

Agree with the manager.
I had my lunch in a local café last week and at the next table was a cute looking infant whose noises made conversation impossible.
I have her down for a future town crier.

mokryna Mon 02-May-22 00:41:38

Agree with the manager and I would like to find a place to sit in peace also.

MissAdventure Mon 02-May-22 00:27:15

It makes sense not to have children going up and down the stairs.
Right or wrong, I know where I'd prefer to sit.

rafichagran Mon 02-May-22 00:23:36

Agree with the Manager, the customers were wrong, it clearly stated no children upstairs.

henetha Sun 01-May-22 23:34:01

Completely agree with the manager making them stick to the rules.

Ailsa43 Sun 01-May-22 23:08:38

Agree with the Manager !

Hetty58 Sun 01-May-22 20:32:28

Of course the rules must be followed. I do wish our local coffee shop had an 'adults only' area. It's more like an adventure playground for unruly brats (mums chatting or on their phones). If we can't find a table outside, we simply don't go in!

BlueSky Sun 01-May-22 20:22:44

Exactly Dickens if I don’t agree with a particular rule, I take my custom elsewhere.

AGAA4 Sun 01-May-22 19:51:33

I agree that the family were moved downstairs. People ignore rules all the time. In our Country Park it clearly states 'dogs must be kept on a lead'. How many are on a lead'? Hardly any. Also cycling not allowed on the pathways. Lots of cyclists on the paths.

Harris27 Sun 01-May-22 19:07:25

Agree with the manager.

nadateturbe Sun 01-May-22 19:01:31

Agree with manager.

Dickens Sun 01-May-22 19:00:19

BlueSky

I would have left if that was the rule and we preferred sitting upstairs.

... that's your choice.

The manager clearly stated his.

Sometimes adults want to sit quietly over a coffee - and frankly, it can be quite nerve-wracking when youngsters, because they are naturally exuberant, are running around, bumping into tables.

Perhaps if parents had better control of their offspring things might be different, but so many don't.

The management made the rule for a reason - probably having experienced the disruptive behaviour of some kids.

... and some adults might have energetic and noisy kids at home, why shouldn't they be allowed a space to relax for those - possibly rare - moments when they can unwind?

Charleygirl5 Sun 01-May-22 18:29:41

The manager every time.

I was out for lunch today and the 2 year old at the next table although quiet himself, gave a drummer boy a run for his money using cutlery and the table. The parents did not blink an eye although in fairness the man attended to his dietary needs and thankfully the child needed two hands to stuff food in his mouth.

Calendargirl Sun 01-May-22 18:26:00

Agree with the manager.

BlueSky Sun 01-May-22 18:20:19

I would have left if that was the rule and we preferred sitting upstairs.

Granmarderby10 Sun 01-May-22 18:04:12

poshpaws sticky, noisy, disruptive, yes ….but often smelly? Perhaps babies in nappies but not older surely