Gransnet forums

Chat

How often do you change your bedlinen?

(103 Posts)
JaneJudge Fri 06-May-22 09:11:37

www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-61259074

I am obviously a typical female as I change ours weekly/fortnightly (at most) I feel slightly disturbed that people do not change it for 4 months or more grin even though it isn't any of my business smile

Smileless2012 Sat 07-May-22 11:25:40

Once a week and shower every day.

Juliet27 Sat 07-May-22 11:25:33

With the cost of energy going up so much perhaps we should use our machines less often…or take our washing down to the river!!

Shinamae Sat 07-May-22 11:15:10

Franbern

Notice how many people on here say that they bath or shower every day.

Thought this was now not a good idea - for several reasons

Bad for the planet - too much water Bad for our own energy bills.

Bad for our own bodies, natural oils being washed away by daily soaking in this way.

I am sure that I have read somewhere that a shower or bath once about every three days , unless, of course, you are in a very dirty job (a miner for example).

I shower every other day and sometimes only twice a week just depends.. and only wash my hair once a week..

silverlining48 Sat 07-May-22 11:14:23

I shower 2 or maybe 3 times a week. Other days I wash at the sink. I do not use deodorant and do not smell. I have asked nearest and dearest smile and they would tell me for sure,
In the good old days it was a Bath ( ) often shared water) once a week with a change of underwear afterwards.

Franbern Sat 07-May-22 10:51:00

Notice how many people on here say that they bath or shower every day.

Thought this was now not a good idea - for several reasons

Bad for the planet - too much water Bad for our own energy bills.

Bad for our own bodies, natural oils being washed away by daily soaking in this way.

I am sure that I have read somewhere that a shower or bath once about every three days , unless, of course, you are in a very dirty job (a miner for example).

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 07-May-22 10:45:00

Good grief! I wouldn’t dream of not washing all the bed linen after a guest had stayed even if only for one night.

Mollygo Sat 07-May-22 10:41:59

Lizbethann55

Depends on the state of the bed after your previous guest. If it looks well slept in or smells of deodorant/perfume or anything else I’d change it. If not then who will know?
Mind, I always wash pillow cases after visitors, even if they only stay one night.

HowVeryDareYou Sat 07-May-22 09:44:50

Once a week in winter, and 2 or 3 times a week in summer.

Sago Sat 07-May-22 08:20:28

Great forecast today so mine will be blowing on the line soon.
My clean sheet day is largely determined by the weather, although I have plenty of sets in the spring and summer I like to wash, dry, iron and replace in a day.

BlueBalou Sat 07-May-22 07:19:33

I change mine every week, and I iron.
There’s nothing nicer than bed linen dried outdoors and ironed. I bathe or shower every night too.
Towels, bath mat get washed weekly.
It’s something I have done for the past 50 years so I’m not changing it now ?

argymargy Sat 07-May-22 06:40:45

Oldwoman70

This was discussed on local radio the other day and one man rang in to claim he hadn't changed his sheets in 4 years!!

Apparently sheets should be changed once a week (2 weeks at the most) as people sweat during the night and shed skin cells, this then "blocks" the sheet and can cause skin irritation and even bed bugs

I change sheets every Monday - love the feeling of getting into bed that night with lovely clean sheets (I even iron them!)

This is why these threads get annoying. I refuse to launder bed linen that frankly doesn’t need it and I’ve never had skin irritation or bed bugs. Sweeping statements like this are ridiculous and based on zero evidence. “Blocks” the sheet - what does that even mean?! On Mumsnet threads like this there’s always one who launders daily - perhaps the rising cost of such strange behaviour will make them think again.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 07-May-22 06:16:57

lizbethann as long as your guest showered before getting into your lovely clean bed, then, at a push, I think you will get away with it.

But if you went somewhere to a bed that someone else had already slept in would you be ok with that? Hmmm thought not.

Tricia2 Sat 07-May-22 06:04:55

Usually every 10 days to 2 weeks. The comforter every 6 months.

Yammy Sat 07-May-22 00:04:37

Germanshepherdsmum

I don’t iron bedding either except for the spare bed, lest I be judged (ie outed as a slut). I must remember that ironing is bad for the environment. What an excellent excuse!!! Thanks!!!

Be with you in time for the September full moon Yammy and all other Vikings. Quite happy for my bed linen not to be whiter than white. Rather have it not smelling of wee. I do wonder about our ancestors sometimes, I suspect you might be better upwind of them …

I don't think the Vikings bothered about the smell either. If You've been to Yorvik.
I only iron guest bedding as well. I use an American method that gives you excuses for crease, you fold bottom and top sheet and three pillow cases all to fit into one pillow case then bung in the airing cupboard whilst damp.
Maybe the Vikings sat on them while rowing.
See you at the September full moon, for the feast of pork.

Shinamae Fri 06-May-22 23:13:14

Twice a year whether it needs it or not ?

Lizbethann55 Fri 06-May-22 23:04:25

Now here is a dilemma. We had a visitor last night. Bedroom thoroughly cleaned and bed changed before he came. He was only here for one night. Late this afternoon my brother phoned to say could he come to visit for a few days arriving on Sunday. I love him dearly and seldom see him. This trip has been planned and had to be cancelled a couple of times already. Dilemma. Today was DGD looking after day, leaves us exhausted. I am at work tomorrow morning and have a load of new plants which I am desperate to get in. Can I get away with not changing the bed again? Oh please say it will be ok!!

Libman Fri 06-May-22 21:35:25

Depends who’s changing the bed. If it’s Mr L then every Monday plus towels. He also irons the bedding before it goes back on. If it’s me…. Oh wait I don’t do it.?

Lyng17 Fri 06-May-22 19:35:27

Blossoming

Hasn’t this been asked before?

It’s still none of your business.

Don't answer then. No need to be rude.

MissAdventure Fri 06-May-22 19:02:53

We have an ongoing battle here regarding towels.
He puts them in the wash, I take them back out again.
I refuse to wash a bath towel after one use.
I like my moneys worth from the fruits of my labour.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 06-May-22 18:43:04

I don’t iron bedding either except for the spare bed, lest I be judged (ie outed as a slut). I must remember that ironing is bad for the environment. What an excellent excuse!!! Thanks!!!

Be with you in time for the September full moon Yammy and all other Vikings. Quite happy for my bed linen not to be whiter than white. Rather have it not smelling of wee. I do wonder about our ancestors sometimes, I suspect you might be better upwind of them …

Floradora9 Fri 06-May-22 18:42:47

Bottom sheet and pillowcases one week douvet cover and pillow cases the next. We have our own beds so just one person in a bed.

MissAdventure Fri 06-May-22 18:41:27

Me too.
When I worked some shifts in a hospital, I was better at the corners than the staff.
They needed my mum to train them I think!

Mollygo Fri 06-May-22 18:38:34

MissAdventure-we too were obliged to do hospital corners. I still do today when presented with flat sheets.

MissAdventure Fri 06-May-22 18:33:49

That reminds me of the dreaded saturday morning bed change of my childhood.
My mum checking for hospital corners, then pulling it all off and making me redo it. smile
"If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing well!"

Esspee Fri 06-May-22 18:32:39

We have a house rule that even before the stripped bedding is taken downstairs the bed has to be remade. There is nothing more dispiriting than going upstairs at night to find you have to make the bed. It is a job we do together, necessary as it’s a super king.

I only wash the actual duvet twice a year together with the pillows. Pillow and mattress protectors get washed every six weeks or so, sheets every week to 10 days and the duvet cover every two to three weeks. Towels rarely last a week and face cloths are changed daily.

Because I like to get my washing out on the line the routine is weather dependent and I never iron bedding. Not only is life too short but it is extremely bad for the environment.