Gransnet forums

Chat

scammed out of £525.000

(170 Posts)
lemsip Tue 10-May-22 12:07:29

On Rip off Britain earlier to day available on Bbc iplayer.
A lady received a phone call telling her of fraudulent staff at her bank...She was persuaded to 'move 525 thousand pounds...

Teacheranne Tue 10-May-22 23:23:06

Judging by the number of “ charities” that phoned my mum to ask for money via a direct debit, my mum was definitely on a suckers list. When we became aware of these calls, mum had early Alzheimer’s and believed everything she was told on the phone.

We had to put in several layers of protection to stop these evil people.

MissAdventure Tue 10-May-22 23:25:08

I had to have very serious words with the salvation army and tell them to leave my mum alone.
She had made a one off donation, then they were virtually hounding her.

busybeejay Tue 10-May-22 23:52:48

I was scammed a couple of months ago.A “police officer” did the blurb ….I did not believe him and asked for his number and his senior.They put me through to a”police “ station and confirmed they were genuine.NOT.All part of the scam.I nearly lost £20.000 .I am not gullible and intelligent but nearly fell for this.Beware.Don’t trust anyone asking for money.
Barbarax

MissAdventure Tue 10-May-22 23:56:11

I asked on here once if I had been nearly scammed.

I used to pay my mobile bill using the ee app, which was always buffering and didnt always work the first time.
Immediately after paying, I got a text from ee saying that my payment hadnt gone through and asking me to re enter my details.

I very nearly did it.

acornlady Tue 10-May-22 23:58:07

I recently had a phone call from a very well-spoken gentleman going by the name of Lewis. He said that he was from Barclays fraud department and asked me questions about payments that had been made using my debit card, none of which I had made. Eventually, he told me that this could easily be sorted out by me using my banking app. He would run me through what to do. At this point, I refused and told him that I would ring the bank's fraud department. He then tried to tell me that I would only end up speaking to him. When I spoke to the bank's fraud department (using a different phone) it was confirmed to be a con. Unbelievably a week later he phoned again, my response wasn't very ladylike.

Shinamae Wed 11-May-22 00:07:21

Serendipity22

I had a WhatsApp message which began Hi mum, I dropped my old phone in water and now it doesnt work ( or words to that effect ) I have an invoice to pay, can you lend me the money -, blah blah blah. So considering I have 2 AC, it could have been from either, BUT my radar was on red alert by the wording on the message.

I knew my DD hadn't changed her number, so that left my DS, like i say, the wording set my radar off.

Anyway, to cut long story short, they didn't get a penny from me, but some poor, unsuspecting person would have fallen for the cock 'n' bull message....

Makes my blood boil angryangryangry

I had exactly the same scam about three months ago and I was getting sucked into it but then after a little bit I’ve got suspicious and I said tell me the names of your two brothers, (scammer was purporting to be my daughter) obviously he/she couldn’t tell me got very annoyed and hung up…?

MissAdventure Wed 11-May-22 00:11:19

I had a call from a "solicitor" just after my girl died, telling me they had been hired to recoup money owed by her to the water company. angry
Somebody them told me that these people can look up death notices and scam relatives into paying off "debts".

Shinamae Wed 11-May-22 00:12:51

MissAdventure

I had a call from a "solicitor" just after my girl died, telling me they had been hired to recoup money owed by her to the water company. angry
Somebody them told me that these people can look up death notices and scam relatives into paying off "debts".

That is absolutely abhorrent. So sorry you had to go through that????

biglouis Wed 11-May-22 00:16:58

This happened to me with a man who was one of the customers of my online business. He presented himself as a celebrity hairdresser and stylist and purchased a few items. Not unusual as I work with a lot of film and theatre people in the USA. We gradually got chatting and found we had a lot in common. It was not a romantic relationship - more an online friendship. We chatted about books, travel, music and so on.

After a couple of months of on and off chat Don (as he called himself) told me his mom was ill and needed an operation. However his business was in trouble.... This immediately threw up a red flag with me and I tried to edge away from the subject. I was about to close my shops for 4 weeks vacation when he came out and asked me to lend him $50,000. I told him I will need to see my accountant. You cant just transfer that amount international or the bank will investigate.

My nephew showed me how to do a reverse image search and we found a scam site with pictures of "Don". Only he had many names and occupations including pilot, surgeon, and army officer. He had conned several women out of thousands of dollars. Needless to say I broke off all communication immediately and blocked his emails at deep server level and his phone number. I still accept international calls by arrangement only.

I consider myself hard and sharp in business but can understand how easy it is for a person to be beguiled into a relationahip where you trust the other implicitly.

People dont get trust from me. They earn it - over yers.

MissAdventure Wed 11-May-22 00:17:44

It really upset me to think people would sink that low, but it shows that if they catch someone at the right time, then just maybe they might strike lucky.

It's only because I'm such an old skinflint that I didn't just pay.

MissAdventure Wed 11-May-22 00:23:11

I often used to find my mum in the middle of a chat with some phone person.
They would be asking after the family by name, and telling her they had been praying for my daughter.
All info she had given, but she was lonely and spent hours alone.
She welcomed someone to show some interest.

biglouis Wed 11-May-22 00:28:47

I bank with Santander and routinely have to transfer money abroad to pay for auctions and purchases for my business. I now have to go through several layers which require me to state what the money is for (a good or service) and where the money is coming from.

On one occasion I was transfering only 1000 euros to a German bank (we were still in the EU) and the intermediate bank (Barclays) sent me a series of questions I had to answer, I also had to send them a copy of the auction invoice for the goods.

I realise this is more about prevention of money laundering than possible scams but it makes me wonder how people get to be able to transfer really large sums internationally without one bank or another querying it.

MissAdventure Wed 11-May-22 00:47:57

Makes you wonder, doesnt it?

BlueBalou Wed 11-May-22 06:40:25

A friend of mine lost £20k when investing her mother’s money, despite both she and her husband doing phone checks etc. She said she couldn’t believe how clever and devious these scammers are. She and her husband were both completely taken in, I don’t know at what point they realised what had happened, they’d been investing money successfully for years.

FarNorth Wed 11-May-22 07:34:05

investing money successfully

A friend of mine invested a few thousand with a 'company' who phoned her and sent a brochure in the post.
She received a 'dividend' and happily invested some more money.
Fortunately she told family about it and they prevented it going any further.
This was several years ago, before banks made so many checks.

MissA that was a despicable thing for someone to do.

tickingbird Wed 11-May-22 09:03:58

Miss A. Sorry to hear that. Just despicable.

M0nica Wed 11-May-22 09:10:53

Most scams are well known and well publicised and, usually, pretty amateur. Those emails telling you someone you barely know is stranded in a some foreign country and had all their money and papers stolen and to send them money. it is perfectly clear that someone's contact list has been raided and you happen to be in it.

Emails from your children, saying they have lost their phones etc, when you know that if that happened they would be highly unlikely to contact you in the way these emails do.

My father lived into his mid-90s, sound in mind. In the months before his death he was inundated with letters saying he had won a lottery somewhere. Just send £1,000 for administration. He recognised them for what they were and just threw them away. He read a paper everyday and kept himself up to date and had read about these scams.

There is no good reason why so many of those people, who are mentally fully aware should fall so frequently for these popular and well known scams. It is usually driven by the idea of getting something for nothing, a windfall. But even if a windfall would change your life. Common sense should tell you that you get 'owt for nowt', a well known saying and they should check it out very carefully.

Obviously if someone devises a deep and complex scam and only does it infrequently enough for it not to be picked up and publicised by financial or consumer journalists then we areall at risk. But this isn't what happens. Scammers are lazy and are just looking for quick money, so use the same trick time and time again because there are enough culpably ignorant and foolish people around.

Protecting the cognitively vulnerable is a seperate issue

MissAdventure Wed 11-May-22 09:14:57

I disagree.
I think we are all vulnerable at some time or another, depending on cicumstances/state of mind.

Yammy Wed 11-May-22 09:23:24

Shinamae

MissAdventure

That is absolutely abhorrent. So sorry you had to go through that????

This is absolutely disgusting,when you are grieving you do not think straight.
My very elderly aunt went through a similar thing after she lost her DH. She kept getting "Messagges ''from the bank about their joint account.
She suspected a scam and when she ignored it she got lots of indecent phone calls. The police were involved. This turned out not to be someone abroad but a local who had a link to the funeral parlour and had treated other grieving relatives in the same way.flowers

MissAdventure Wed 11-May-22 09:27:32

Also, when somebody dies, there is a need to tie up all the loose ends, do the right thing, not to have their name smeared in any way.
I think perhaps that comes into play, somewhere along the line.

Newquay Wed 11-May-22 09:28:41

A lady I know-a bit of a simple soul(on Asperger’s/autism spectrum I suspect) highly intelligent.alone in the world. She thinks she can do things-and mostly can. She SO nearly got scammed out of £2k. She even went into local Lloyds-where she’s well known-to transfer £2k from an ISA. Finally someone asked if she was «in trouble» she said yes and the Police were involved. The person at Lloyd’s thought it odd but did nothing-grrrr! I’ve told her she’s now very vulnerable cos she nearly fell for it.
Our DD1 is a property solicitor and is well on the ball but she says the scammers are one step ahead all the time sadly

M0nica Wed 11-May-22 09:53:45

MissAdventure The majority of people fall for well known and long standing scams. No matter how we feel at anyone time, if we know something is a scam, we know it is a scam and have no reason to fall for it, no matter how we feel.

Obviously if someone comes up with a new scam, then all my sympathy is with those caught, and all of us are vulnerable.

Newquay mentions that her daughter is a property lawyer. A few years ago a new scam was used to tell people just before completion that their solicitor had changed their contact details and please send the money to complete the purchase to a different phoneumber/email address. A number of people did this with desperate results, but once this scam was recognised, it was in the news, in the paper discussed in radio money programmes etc, and solicitors now routinely warn clients about this, so there is no excuse now for anyone to fall for it. I haven't bought or sold a house for over 25 years, yet I know all about the scam.

MissAdventure Wed 11-May-22 10:07:23

There is little excuse for a whole host of behaviours that humans engage in.
Nevertheless, we do.

Callistemon21 Wed 11-May-22 10:53:47

I'm shock that someone had £525,000 in an ordinary, easily accessible bank account!

maddyone Wed 11-May-22 10:58:44

MissAdventure

What a horrible and disgusting thing to do. I’m so sorry you were targeted in this way. You had more than enough to deal with without having this kind of stuff to cope with.