Gransnet forums

Chat

Etiquette v The Highway Code

(80 Posts)
Serendipity22 Tue 10-May-22 16:25:43

What does everyone else think ......

Example - You're driving along when a road sign states give way to oncoming traffic, a sign that is stated in The Highway Code. So you do as you're instructed, you wait to let the incoming car pass.

Is it necessary for the driver of the car that has the right of way, to flash lights or raise a hand in thanks ( or both ) despite the fact you're not doing it out of kindness, you're doing it because its the rules of the road. No-one does it at traffic lights so why do some people feel the need to say thank you otherwise!

Personally, if I do as the road signs instructs me to do, I feel compelled to raise my hand in thanks then ask myself was that necessary ?

confusedconfusedconfused

Kim19 Wed 11-May-22 07:26:43

This always makes me smile as I had a very kind and thoughtful friend who used to say 'ok, don't thank me then' when a driver didn't acknowledge her act of kindness. When I asked her if that's why she made the gesture she would just growl. Salt of the earthy she was otherwise.. Happy days.......

Esspee Wed 11-May-22 07:33:43

I am often impressed at the manners and good common sense shown by drivers in this country.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 11-May-22 09:42:29

Lucca

In a Range Rover……

?

lixy Wed 11-May-22 09:54:45

I give a little wave to drivers who wait for me when I'm driving the car. I also thank those who stop to allow me cross a zebra crossing when I'm walking and those who wait until it's safe to pass me when I'm cycling.
Just a little acknowledgement - there's so much aggressive 'me first' driving that I'm truly grateful for good manners.

Lucca Thu 12-May-22 03:28:40

Germanshepherdsmum

Lucca

In a Range Rover……

?

Sorry but I live in a town with so many yummy mummies swanning around in unnecessary four wheel drives often parked badly etc…..

Kim19 Thu 12-May-22 05:05:59

Interestingly, just this evening, I allowed a police car in front of me and the driver waved in thanks. So much for the 'law'. Have to say, I liked it.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 12-May-22 08:17:00

At least out here in the sticks we can justify something that will act as a snow plough Lucca. Definitely not a fashion statement here! But I know just what you mean.

pascal30 Thu 12-May-22 11:27:18

It's just making brief friendly contact with another human being... so necessary nowdays

Dressagediva123 Thu 12-May-22 11:28:51

What’s not to like - doesn’t cost you anything and much appreciated by other road users ?

Aepgirl Thu 12-May-22 11:29:10

Good manners cost nothing. Always say or acknowledge thanks.

Janetashbolt Thu 12-May-22 11:36:45

I put a hand up in thanks, I NEVER flash my lights other drivers blind me at night and as someone said above it is now illegal

Awesomegranny Thu 12-May-22 11:36:45

I always do, it’s a relief sometimes that people have stopped when it’s not their right of way!

Buttonjugs Thu 12-May-22 11:37:16

Redhead56

It is a polite British way to be however your hands should be on the steering wheel and your eyes on the road. Safety before pleasantly waving to another motorist.

You can raise your hand from the top of the steering wheel.

Worthingpatchworker Thu 12-May-22 11:39:06

Nothing wrong with polite acknowledgment of another’s efforts.

henetha Thu 12-May-22 11:42:23

I like these little driving waves and nods and do it a lot. It's friendly and makes me feel part of something, somehow.

knspol Thu 12-May-22 11:47:22

Lots of single track roads here and really annoying when people speed along and then expect others to move out of the way for them, particularly noticeable with women drivers at school run times. Very few of them show any thanks.
On the plus side I have recently noticed that male drivers tend to see an elderly female driver (ie me) and immediately reverse rather than expect me to back up - very grateful I look so old and probably incapable!!!

kevincharley Thu 12-May-22 11:52:22

No! It's a real bugbear of mine. Like you say, it doesn't happen at traffic lights. Nor roundabouts.

Lucca Thu 12-May-22 11:56:37

Buttonjugs

Redhead56

It is a polite British way to be however your hands should be on the steering wheel and your eyes on the road. Safety before pleasantly waving to another motorist.

You can raise your hand from the top of the steering wheel.

Also you take your hand off to use indicator so you can easily raise it for a moment to acknowledge…

Nagmad2016 Thu 12-May-22 12:01:33

I always smile or raise my hand. It doesn't hurt to be courteous.

dragonfly46 Thu 12-May-22 12:04:55

I always raise my hand to thank but never flash my lights. Flashing lights can mean many things including giving someone right of way.

LeeN137 Thu 12-May-22 12:07:28

I don't drive, but I do a similar thing when a driver stops at a crossing, to let me cross - to my mind, the simple acknowledgement helps them feel less irritated at having to stop.

I do it on my pushbike, too - and I'm often tempted when I'm a passenger in a car.

nipsmum Thu 12-May-22 12:08:49

I believe this courtesy comes from the beginning of the advent of motor vehicles on our roads. My father who learned to drive in the early 1920's told me when I was learning to drive in the 1960's that it started when there were cars which moved at walking pace and horse drawn vehicles had the right of way. The acknowledgement of the giving way courtesy died out as cars got quicker and horse drawn vehicles were not in use so much. It is not taught but it is purely courtesy nowadays.

Babs758 Thu 12-May-22 12:15:42

Mazda Mx 5 drivers have a tradition of waving st each other!

MayBee70 Thu 12-May-22 12:18:07

Beetle drivers used to as well.

TanaMa Thu 12-May-22 12:21:04

Not an answer to this but a grumble about use/nonuse if indicators!!
Twice recently whilst waiting to exit from a side road, approaching vehicle was indicating that they were turning into my road. I had just started to draw forward when said vehicles continued straight across.my path and didn't turn as indicated. Luckily I braked quickly enough to avoid a collision. Also vehicles who, without indicating, suddenly take a turning left or right immediately in front of my car - as I don't drive closely behind a vehicle in front, no problem, but still annoying!