Gransnet forums

Chat

Etiquette v The Highway Code

(80 Posts)
Serendipity22 Tue 10-May-22 16:25:43

What does everyone else think ......

Example - You're driving along when a road sign states give way to oncoming traffic, a sign that is stated in The Highway Code. So you do as you're instructed, you wait to let the incoming car pass.

Is it necessary for the driver of the car that has the right of way, to flash lights or raise a hand in thanks ( or both ) despite the fact you're not doing it out of kindness, you're doing it because its the rules of the road. No-one does it at traffic lights so why do some people feel the need to say thank you otherwise!

Personally, if I do as the road signs instructs me to do, I feel compelled to raise my hand in thanks then ask myself was that necessary ?

confusedconfusedconfused

Serendipity22 Thu 12-May-22 21:22:24

TanaMa that has happened to me a few times ( indicating to turn left then driving past) since the first encounter, I always wait till I am certain they are indeed turning. smile

effalump Sat 14-May-22 12:05:48

I think this is more from my generation (1950's) and I probably go thtis from my Dad who drove lorries. I think it is a polite thing to do. Another thing I do is if I'm driving down hill and a car coming the other way needs to cross onto my side, perhaps to get round a parked vehicle, I always let them come through. My Dad used to say it is a courtesy as the person coming up the hill will use more petrol if he stops and then has to set off in first gear (especially if the hill is a steep one). Having had cars in the past that almost needed purshing up a steep hill, I can appreciate this courtesy.

Magrithea Fri 20-May-22 09:40:41

Serendipity22

What does everyone else think ......

Example - You're driving along when a road sign states give way to oncoming traffic, a sign that is stated in The Highway Code. So you do as you're instructed, you wait to let the incoming car pass.

Is it necessary for the driver of the car that has the right of way, to flash lights or raise a hand in thanks ( or both ) despite the fact you're not doing it out of kindness, you're doing it because its the rules of the road. No-one does it at traffic lights so why do some people feel the need to say thank you otherwise!

Personally, if I do as the road signs instructs me to do, I feel compelled to raise my hand in thanks then ask myself was that necessary ?

confusedconfusedconfused

Why is it a problem? It's nice to be acknowledged for being courteous, even if you are obeying the rules of the road. Like many other posters I always acknowledge vehicles who've given way whether they had to or not. Much better than seeing a stern, unsmiling face as you drive past

timetogo2016 Fri 20-May-22 09:49:12

I always thank drivers in some way or another,it`s polite and yes very british.