Gransnet forums

Chat

Why don’t men sit down to pee?

(63 Posts)
Esspee Wed 11-May-22 07:18:20

Just that really.

Surely it is anatomically OK for them to urinate in a sitting position?
The distance to the pan makes spray and splash back somewhat inevitable from a standing position, and don’t start me off on night time peeing in the dark!
My two boys were taught by me to pee standing but why?
Can anyone enlighten me?

Lido Wed 11-May-22 10:22:44

The men in my family pee sitting down at night as it's quieter and more accurate.

The leaving up of the loo lid seems just as common amongst the female visitors to our house as the male. I always put the lid down as my uncle told me a story about a rat coming up his loo!!

H1954 Wed 11-May-22 10:34:00

It's easier for them to simply unzip, do the necessary and be waiting impatiently outside the public loos for their womenfolk muttering about the length of time it takes females to have a wee...........?‍♀️

Witzend Wed 11-May-22 10:39:11

Quicker and easier just to whip it out and point at the pan (one hopes accurately!) rather than taking trousers and pants down, and having to pull and do them up again.

There’s a reason why interval queues at theatre loos are always much shorter for the blokes! Just one of life’s little unfairnesses.

BlueSky Wed 11-May-22 10:50:25

Have you heard of the new women urinals, called ‘Peequals’ which will be mainly used at festivals? Six times faster than traditional loos!

rockgran Wed 11-May-22 11:03:40

I thought that a standing position helps to empty their bladder completely.

Lesley60 Wed 11-May-22 11:10:58

My husband sits and I hate seeing it, it doesn’t look natural but I understand that I’m wrong to think this

Wheniwasyourage Wed 11-May-22 11:14:28

We had friends who lived in Switzerland for some time, and they were told that after 10pm, if you lived in a block of flats, men were expected to sit down to pee so as to make less noise. I sometimes wonder if that was true or if the neighbours were having them on, but perhaps someone who lives/lived there could enlighten us?

Esspee Wed 11-May-22 11:26:42

My parents had a don’t flush rule during the night so as not to disturb the neighbours. I never heard anything from the flat above so I have no idea what that was all about.

Esspee Wed 11-May-22 11:27:23

Lesley60

My husband sits and I hate seeing it, it doesn’t look natural but I understand that I’m wrong to think this

Want to swap husbands?

MawtheMerrier Wed 11-May-22 11:30:35

Given the state of the floor in some public loos, they (as indeed we) might be unhappy to have their trousers round their ankles!
Talking of which - have you ever used a public loo in a jumpsuit?
It can be fraught with danger!

Luckygirl3 Wed 11-May-22 11:40:05

If it's brown, flush it down
If it's yellow, let it mellow

Rules for saving water.

Squiffy Wed 11-May-22 11:45:13

Love this!

Jaxjacky Wed 11-May-22 11:47:38

Anyone who’s seen the film The Fully Monty will recall the woman urinating standing up. I believe it can be practiced, preferably not in my house though!

Gongoozler Wed 11-May-22 11:49:44

Squiffy

Love this!

I once saw a similar one which said
“We aim to please - you aim too, please”.

Elizabeth27 Wed 11-May-22 12:28:04

How do people know the toilet habits of their relatives?

jaylucy Wed 11-May-22 12:36:21

Reminds me of the time that I was toilet training my son.
For most of the week, he was surrounded by women - me, my mum and my sister, who all sat down to pee - he'd seen it happen many times when he had barged into the bathroom !
My dad and brothers only used to be around at weekends, due to work commitments and no matter how many times I told DS that boys peed standing up, he wouldn't agree - until he happened to barge in on my brother one day !
Problem solved !
PS I don't know what he does now, in his 30s - he stopped me going in the bathroom at the same time as him when he was 13!!!

Smileless2012 Wed 11-May-22 12:42:04

Good question BigBertha and why having put the seat and lid down for more than 30 years, is Mr. S. no longer able to do sohmm.

Esspee Wed 11-May-22 13:05:25

Does anyone remember the fashion in the 70s for bathrooms to be carpeted?
OMGoodness!
We had moved into an exclusive development, and I insisted on a tiled floor. It didn’t take long for the carpets to be ripped out in the other apartments.

BlueBelle Wed 11-May-22 13:19:42

They get so used to spraying the countryside when out and about they automatically stand however I stand for public toilets I ve got strong thighs so I do a good old hover

Esspee Wed 11-May-22 14:38:26

I also hover in public toilets BlueBelle but when I started this thread I was thinking of male behaviour at home. It would be much cleaner/healthier if we trained boys to sit down, or am I missing something?

Philippa111 Wed 11-May-22 14:46:45

Is it to do with a primal requirement as cavemen to be on the look out for dangerous animals and aggressors... sitting down would make that more difficult...But I guess they would still have needed to squat for pooing so that doesn't make sense...lol!

Kalu Wed 11-May-22 14:59:05

Or those bathroom floor sets/mats complete with toilet lid cover, all in a matching colour. What must they harbour? Yuck.

We also moved into a house with fitted, carpeted, bathrooms.
One of the first things to be ripped out.

Jaylou Wed 11-May-22 15:12:14

I'm sure if they are doing a No.2 they would probably do a No.1 at the same time, sitting down, not alternate between sitting and standing. Can't believe I am actually contributing that sentence to this thread.

Serendipity22 Wed 11-May-22 15:26:31

Blimey ive never thought about it but now its mentioned I guess its coz thats the way it is.

I have a son and never gave it a second thought that it was something I should teach him, I guess I assumed he would learn soon enough and follow suit with all the other lads !

Im saying I never taught him, I may have done its over 35 years ago...

smile

CoffeeFirst1 Wed 11-May-22 15:29:06

Convenience I’d say.