Gransnet forums

Chat

Why don’t men sit down to pee?

(63 Posts)
Esspee Wed 11-May-22 07:18:20

Just that really.

Surely it is anatomically OK for them to urinate in a sitting position?
The distance to the pan makes spray and splash back somewhat inevitable from a standing position, and don’t start me off on night time peeing in the dark!
My two boys were taught by me to pee standing but why?
Can anyone enlighten me?

Margiknot Wed 11-May-22 15:32:38

I discovered the purpose of the washable loo mat when we moved into a house with a carpet in the cloakroom ( having never previously lived anywhere with a carpeted toilet)! It’s to protect the carpet and catch the splashes, before regular washing. So that particular mat has a function after all. The previous owner kindly left the mat in place ready for us!

grumppa Wed 11-May-22 19:35:18

Mollygo, it was Michael Caine who said John Wayne advised him not to wear suede shoes, because of men turning towards him in urinals.

And how the world has moved on. I never thought I'd see someone proudly aver "I always hover in public toilets" without risking prosecution!

Rameses Wed 11-May-22 19:43:33

rockgran

I thought that a standing position helps to empty their bladder completely.

As a mere male I can confirm that this is so.

Further, as a fast ageing male, I can advise that issues with the prostate at night exacerbate that problem.

Patsy70 Wed 11-May-22 20:39:51

Interesting. Do men, those who urinate in a standing position, actually realise that they splash the back of the pan and drip in front of the lavatory? If I did that, I’d clean up after me ………
My OH doesn’t!!! ?

CraftyGranny Wed 11-May-22 21:05:50

What never ceases to amaze me is that no matter how many years a man has been standing and pointing, they never get good enough at it not to sometimes wee on the floor.

SueDonim Wed 11-May-22 21:26:29

CraftyGranny

What never ceases to amaze me is that no matter how many years a man has been standing and pointing, they never get good enough at it not to sometimes wee on the floor.

My Dh is meticulous and has never left anything for me wipe up, I’m thankful to say. My sons were also thoroughly housetrained to remember to put down the lid of the loo to avoid a ‘toilet plume’.

Sadly, since they left home they seem to have forgotten the rules so I tell them they’re in my house now, not their own. grin

MissAdventure Wed 11-May-22 21:30:15

It is a huge source of conflict here.
I find it very difficult not to want to bash the phantom piddler.
It wrecks the place, bit by bit.

SueDonim Wed 11-May-22 21:39:59

Phantom Piddler brings back a memory of a friend’s son, MissA! When he was a little boy he used to have a sort of night terror, and he’d then get up in his sleep and do a wee into the airing cupboard! ?

MissAdventure Wed 11-May-22 22:06:27

I'm sure I've told this before, but my friend used to go round to her mums and stay for the whole of christmas.
All the family together; daughters, son in laws, children.

On christmas eve my friend woke up to her mum screaming "Aaah! Quick, quick! Terry's in my room and he's got his thing out!" grin

My friends husband had wandered into her mums room a bit tipsy, and was standing over her mum, about to do a wee
grin

Barmeyoldbat Wed 11-May-22 22:33:59

Mr B always sits if he can after he was in hospital with a serious kidney problem. He was told that women who sit or squat are more effect at emptying their bladder. He also finds it more comfortable as he is always ready to have a rest!

SueDonim Wed 11-May-22 23:09:42

OMG, MissA! shock. Did the miscreant even remember it in next morning? I bet the mum did! blush

MissAdventure Wed 11-May-22 23:14:44

The mum did.
She had been asleep in bed, rollers in, teeth out, wearing her best christmas nightie!
Just woke up in time to see something looming over her head. grin

Nah, he didn't care.
Lucky they're an understanding lot.