Gransnet forums

Chat

At what age did you retire from work ..? For me it was at 59

(169 Posts)
Oldab Thu 12-May-22 15:56:14

59vfor me ..I felt like work was just taking all of my time , no work life balance I was working from 8 am till 7 pm and I just could not take it anymore after 22 years..my health improved , my mind my sense of well being ..I do not have the money now , but my mind is at ease..not stressed ..I can easily see my nurse every week now for my warfarin blood test ..when I was working 8am till 7pm it was virtually impossible ..

Alio72 Sat 14-May-22 21:49:40

I retired finally at 72. Never wanted to give up work as valued my complete independence..but now enjoying being retired and no nagging clients!

Jools22 Sat 14-May-22 21:49:50

I don’t believe in retirement. I’m not defined by a job but what I’ve done with my life and what I continue to do. I’m a househusband, gardener, nurse and granddad

Musicgirl Sat 14-May-22 23:43:20

I can’t see myself fully retiring for a few years as l am self-employed as a private music teacher. However, I am looking to dwindle things down in the next few years. I have decided that the two young beginners l am starting in September will be my last (although this might be famous last words). I have two and a half years until I am sixty and would like to be in a position where I am teaching adults and older children by then, much though l enjoy the little ones. I have a lot of pupils, l am very blessed that way, but it is also very tiring, especially as I have family commitments. - an elderly mother and disabled adult son. I would like to try something different too.

GrauntyHelen Sun 15-May-22 01:03:38

I'll health and then caring duties mean I stopped my career some time ago but it's 10 years until I can claim State Pension

Sleepygran Sun 15-May-22 01:49:47

I retired at 57.I’d had a rough few years with illness of family and friends,it took its toll.Then I became I’ll for a year on and off. I was exhausted and the job I’d loved became an irritation,it was time to go.,
I was so relieved to give my notice and have never once regretted it.For tow years I had lie ins almost every day!
For 5 years I woke and felt relieved I didn’t have to go to work,I’ve never regretted I, and it’s 10 years on.If I’d stayed It would have been a heart attack or a mental breakdown,so it’s good I did it before that happened!

SkyBird Sun 15-May-22 07:25:08

I retired at 48. I have been doing voluntary work since then. However I have recently cut that back to one day a week. My husband is ten years older than me and he retired at 55.
We have both thoroughly enjoyed our early retirement. We realize how fortunate we are. However we worked hard to achieve the means to do so.

Gran16 Sun 15-May-22 07:31:06

I'm almost 58 and still work 40 hours a week. My retirement age is 67 and I could have to carry on working until then. If circumstances allow I hope to reduce my hours at 60 but that's not a definite just a wish. I have many health issues and am constantly tired but have to carry on, if only I didn't have to remortgage when I divorced my ex husband (who retired at 60 2 years ago).
I was made redundant after many years at the start of covid then forced into shielding whilst unemployed so the redundancy quickly disappeared. I found a new job which I enjoy but am finding the hours exhausting. I need the weekends to rest before the onslaught of another week. Only 9 years to go sad

Esspee Sun 15-May-22 08:04:42

I suppose I retired from work when I went abroad at 24 and was not allowed to work as a non national. After a few years we started a family and on our return to the U.K. and my children eventually moving onto higher education I started part time work to keep my brain active. This work was completely unconnected to my training as my field only offered full time work. I eventually stopped taking on part time contracts between lockdowns by which time I was 71.

Witzend Sun 15-May-22 08:13:01

A BiL of mine took early retirement at 53 1/2!

bluekarma Sun 15-May-22 10:22:38

67. I got divorced in 2011. Moved away and sold our house in 2015 and I haven’t worked since

Athrawes Sun 15-May-22 12:05:03

60. I thought I could put my feet up from then on but I somehow got involved with something completely different that is still ongoing

jocork Sun 15-May-22 13:45:14

Retired from working in a school at 66. I was due to go a bit sooner during the pandemic but didn't want to leave from working from home. I wanted a proper send off etc so went back for half a term just so it felt like a decent end. I go in now on a casual basis as an exam invigilator as, having worked with SEN students, I'm trained to do their 1 to 1 invigilation which helps the school as well as boosting my meagre income! It keeps me in touch with colleagues without being too burdensome.
I couldn't have afforded to leave before I was due my state pension as my private ones weren't enough to live on, though they certainly make a big difference now. I don't know how people survive on the state pension alone especially if they still have a mortgage as I do, or are paying rent!

HurdyGurdy Sun 15-May-22 14:19:49

My state pension date is 22nd September 2026, which feels such a long way away.

I am 62 now, and sometimes feel as though I just can't get up in the morning to face another day working. I have recently taken a year's secondment away from my role in Children's Services which was just draining me completely, and gone to a different department. I'm just training now, so not sure if the job will suit me or not.

I am currently in the middle of a rheumatoid arthritis flare up, and am seriously struggling physically to get up and dressed each morning. Once my training is completed, I will be able to work from home, which will be better. If they insist we return to the office, I will need to seriously reconsider.

I always said that I would retire when our mortgage was paid off. However, that was achieved in November last year, but there is something stopping me from retiring. I don't know what it is, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

So I guess my retirement age will be 67 and three months, at state pension age.

ChrisK Sun 15-May-22 22:13:58

Had to take ill health retirement at 49 luckily it came with a small pension, but afer recovering about 6 months layer was then bored witless, as others have also stated. However filled my days with adult education courses and voluntary work, which I am still enjoying 21 years later!

Scottishgogo Mon 16-May-22 08:50:53

Still working at nearly 63 years old. When I left school, women retired at 60. Pensions were geared to this. (I worked for a big pension provider when I left school). Unfortunately, I now have to work until my 66th birthday. I now live with my Mother. She had a stroke about 18 months ago and has made a good recovery. My siblings all live a long way off - England, France and Australia. I always said that I would end up looking after our parents. I cannot afford to give up work as I only gave a State Pension. I will get a full pension as I chose to pay the full stamp. I cannot claim Carer's Allowance as I earn too much. By the way, I work as a Senior Carer in a Residential Home for the Elderley. I will not be retiring.

Bungle22 Mon 16-May-22 16:18:52

62 this year and still working part time.
I don’t feel ready to fully retire yet, plus I only get a small NHS and private pension. I won’t get my state pension till 66. I think Covid has led to more people quitting the workplace if they are able to.

Speldnan Wed 18-May-22 14:55:04

62 when my first GC was born and I was getting pretty fed up with the job anyway!

Carmo1 Thu 26-May-22 11:52:23

73 and still working 3 days a week