Gransnet forums

Chat

please come to Cornwall for your 2022 summer holidays

(38 Posts)
infoman Fri 13-May-22 06:55:28

if you have a senior citizen bus pass,
they are valid from first thing in the morning at the moment
No waiting around till 09:30am, to get out and about.
This concession could be withdrawn at any time.

Casdon Fri 13-May-22 07:02:06

If I caught the next bus from my nearest town, at 7.30am, it would take me 11 hours 50 minutes to get to St Ives. I’m only in Wales, so it’s not as far from here as for people in the north. The idea is better than the execution I think.

vegansrock Fri 13-May-22 07:03:39

If I was on holiday I don’t think I’d be catching a bus before 9.30.am

ginny Fri 13-May-22 07:06:40

We will be there in July. We will be driving down with our caravan but we do use our bus pass to get around some of the time.
We visit at some point every year, a beautiful part of the country.

Joseanne Fri 13-May-22 07:22:25

I'm here for 10 days.
But don't have a bus pass yet!

fairfraise Fri 13-May-22 07:23:18

As far as I know Welsh bus passes are not valid in England. Sadly. I always liked the train journey to Cornwall.

MawtheMerrier Fri 13-May-22 07:23:42

But make sure you “go” before you leave home

Tourists in St Ives will now have to pay for the usage of public toilets in the area, while locals will be able to circumvent the charge.
All of the toilets in the area had traditionally been free, but the local authority is now looking to recoup some cash from them.
St Ives Town Council own eight public toilets around the town, including one which it lets out to a private operator

Joseanne Fri 13-May-22 07:26:43

I don't think locals should have to pay for the toilet while out. Just as the residents of Bath get free entry to the Roman Baths, (but not just to do a wee hopefully!)

BlueBalou Fri 13-May-22 07:30:35

I can’t imagine how long it would take by bus from rural Wiltshire to Cornwall! It could be fun though ?

rosie1959 Fri 13-May-22 07:50:21

We have looked at Cornwall a few times as we used to holiday there when our Children were small but the hotels are so expensive. We actually go to Jersey for our main holiday and even taking into account the £400 ferry it’s still cheaper.
Can’t use a bus pass there even if I had one but the toilets are free lol

Hellogirl1 Fri 13-May-22 07:55:05

We paid 40p to use a public toilet in a car park at St Ives in 2009, the last time we visited Cornwall, so they can`t all have been free. That was 40p EACH, hubby and me!

nandad Fri 13-May-22 08:38:50

We have to pay for our bus passes. The buses go around the villages before they get into a town, so a 10 minute car journey takes 50 minutes by bus. Hate to think how long it would take to get to Cornwall. Even if we could get there quicker we wouldn’t go. Went for the first time in 2020. 5 night B&B cost more than a week abroad. Once we factored in food and petrol, 2 weeks in Greece was cheaper. You had to pay for every single car park and nearly every activity. Photo of Lands End sign, that’ll be £10! Everywhere we went was heaving but most places were closed ‘because of the pandemic’, although I understand that hasn’t changed much yet. The weather was dreadful too which added to the awful road congestion due to the narrow roads. No, we won’t be going back.

Shinamae Fri 13-May-22 08:46:24

nandad

We have to pay for our bus passes. The buses go around the villages before they get into a town, so a 10 minute car journey takes 50 minutes by bus. Hate to think how long it would take to get to Cornwall. Even if we could get there quicker we wouldn’t go. Went for the first time in 2020. 5 night B&B cost more than a week abroad. Once we factored in food and petrol, 2 weeks in Greece was cheaper. You had to pay for every single car park and nearly every activity. Photo of Lands End sign, that’ll be £10! Everywhere we went was heaving but most places were closed ‘because of the pandemic’, although I understand that hasn’t changed much yet. The weather was dreadful too which added to the awful road congestion due to the narrow roads. No, we won’t be going back.

£10 to take a photograph of the Lands end sign? ?? I have stayed in Saint Ives three times and it is a lovely place but far too busy and expensive for me to return..

Redhead56 Fri 13-May-22 08:47:42

I have been to Cornwall many time in my life more recently because my brother lived there. I was put off last time by people begging in Newquay I just didn’t like the atmosphere. It wasn’t how I remembered it camping there as a young woman. This year it’s southern Ireland for our holiday I have never been before now.

JenniferEccles Fri 13-May-22 09:00:13

I thought the information regarding buses was for people once they had arrived in Cornwall rather than suggesting people come all the way by bus!
I might be wrong of course !

nandad Fri 13-May-22 09:09:52

JenniferEccles

I thought the information regarding buses was for people once they had arrived in Cornwall rather than suggesting people come all the way by bus!
I might be wrong of course !

Yes, I think you’re right. I was being facetious due to my poor experience!

Nannee49 Fri 13-May-22 09:12:25

I worked the season in Newquay in 1967 - anyone remember the Blue Lagoon, the Folk Cottage at Mitchell? Fell in love with sublime Cornwall then and love it still.

It's sad that gentrification has priced a stay there beyond many budgets and it's become, to some extent, a middle class playground but it's wild beauty and magic still remain.

I've never thought of doing it on my bus pass infoman that would be a road trip and a halfgrin

Callistemon21 Fri 13-May-22 09:18:44

Casdon

If I caught the next bus from my nearest town, at 7.30am, it would take me 11 hours 50 minutes to get to St Ives. I’m only in Wales, so it’s not as far from here as for people in the north. The idea is better than the execution I think.

Welsh bus passes can't be used in England either!

We've met up with people in Devon and watched them using their bus passes whilst we've had to pay.

Callistemon21 Fri 13-May-22 09:22:31

Joseanne

I don't think locals should have to pay for the toilet while out. Just as the residents of Bath get free entry to the Roman Baths, (but not just to do a wee hopefully!)

I remember staying with my aunt in Cornwall in the 1960s and working there for the summer.
When I booked at the hairdressers my aunt said "Don't forget to tell them you're a resident, otherwise you'll be paying more!".

Blossoming Fri 13-May-22 09:39:56

I don’t have a senior citizen’s bus pass, I have a disabled person’s Freedom pass. I have only visited Cornwall once, many years ago. It’s rather a long journey from here.

ginny Fri 13-May-22 09:58:46

There is much more to Cornwall than St. Ives, Lands End and Newquay.
So many beautiful coves and beaches. Countryside and small towns and villages. Lovely gardens and stately homes.

We have been visiting at various times of the year for nearly 50 years now and still discovering places we have never been. Not going to tell you all where they are though, half the fun is finding them for yourselves.

Casdon Fri 13-May-22 10:42:25

Callistemon21

Casdon

Welsh bus passes can't be used in England either!

We've met up with people in Devon and watched them using their bus passes whilst we've had to pay.

I know, it was just to illustrate the point that the bus sounds fine in theory but isn’t in practice. I do actually love Cornwall, but using the bus probably isn’t a viable option if you live anywhere north of Bristol -I just googled it, and it takes 8hours 37 minutes from there!

annodomini Fri 13-May-22 11:03:32

To the best of my knowledge, a senior citizen's bus pass in England is not valid for long distance travel. I could use mine to reach Chester or Manchester, but not London, unless I went from one locality to another with many changes which would take a very long time. I shudder to think how many changes I'd have to make to travel from Cheshire to Cornwall. I always feel frustrated when I get on a bus in Scotland with my sister who lives there; she goes free with her pass and I pay up.

Rosalyn69 Fri 13-May-22 12:05:32

I think Cornwall has a surfeit of tourists bus pass or no bus pass.

Hellogirl1 Fri 13-May-22 12:12:16

I`m not a lover of St. Ives, it`s very pretty, but far too hilly for me. Newquay has gone right down the drain, despite it`s beautiful beaches. My favourite places are Mevagissey, Gorran Haven, and Padstow.