Gransnet forums

Chat

please come to Cornwall for your 2022 summer holidays

(39 Posts)
infoman Fri 13-May-22 06:55:28

if you have a senior citizen bus pass,
they are valid from first thing in the morning at the moment
No waiting around till 09:30am, to get out and about.
This concession could be withdrawn at any time.

jaylucy Fri 13-May-22 12:16:13

I would love to come, having had several really lovely holidays there in the past!
Sadly, DS has just gone off to Australia to live there permanently , I don't drive, the cost of using public transport to get there is prohibitive and at 64 I am not old enough for a bus pass!!!
Still, in 2 years time things may have changed but don't see many part of Cornwall becoming the Bournemouth of the West Country - those little, sometimes cobbled , streets would be a nightmare in a mobility scooter!

Joseanne Fri 13-May-22 16:34:35

For anyone who is feeling a yearning, Cornwall today in sunshine.

infoman Sat 14-May-22 04:02:55

This does not help St Ives,maybe just don't go to the place.
Then when the buisness owners complain to the council that footfall has fallen,they'll get the message and supply toilet facilities for free.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-61435595

rosie1959 Sat 14-May-22 05:41:19

infoman

This does not help St Ives,maybe just don't go to the place.
Then when the buisness owners complain to the council that footfall has fallen,they'll get the message and supply toilet facilities for free.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-61435595

If you can afford the cost of Cornwall holiday accommodation I doubt tourists will worry too much about the cost of a wee

Joseanne Sat 14-May-22 06:46:07

Devon and Cornwall do have the highest water rates in the country, but I am not sure the extra flushing of the loos by tourists is actually using an excessive amount of water wastage? I would say it is St. Ives wishing to reduce the number of visitors in general and to cut back on traffic and footfall.

Joseanne Sat 14-May-22 06:47:20

* causing not using

infoman Mon 16-May-22 05:21:21

Sorry every one,did not mean to use the bus to get to Cornwall,but to use it whilst on holiday in Cornwall.
Regarding St Ives councils considering chargeing for visitors to use their toilets.
Suggest visiting St Ives for one last time and visiting the tourism office and leave a note in the visitors book about your thoughts on being charge for using the toilets. As a by line there is a very large Tescos at Carbiss bay,
only saying.

BigBertha1 Mon 16-May-22 07:08:34

I love Cornwall and have been many times and each time the traffic on the main road to get down there has been terrible. I love Penzance and Marazion.

Esspee Mon 16-May-22 08:05:36

Holidaying in the UK is prohibitively expensive and my bus pass is not accepted once I cross the border.
We will be going abroad to enjoy a completely different culture and interesting food.

Joseanne Mon 16-May-22 09:25:57

Holidaying in the UK is prohibitively expensive.
Yet it is weird that the house I have rented here in Cornwall for 2 weeks is booked out until 31st October and they have applied for planning permission to make the property even bigger for next year (and no doubt more expensive). I guess there must be demand.

Callistemon21 Mon 16-May-22 09:35:46

Sorry every one,did not mean to use the bus to get to Cornwall,but to use it whilst on holiday in Cornwall

But for those with Welsh or Scottish bus passes, remember that they're not valid in England. sad
I'm not sure about NI but I expect the same rule applies.

luluaugust Mon 16-May-22 09:38:03

Surely the answer is to have a cup of tea and use the free loo in the cafe, although presumably you would then need another loo, so you have to factor the cost into a visit to St Ives!
Love Cornwall been many times since childhood but sadly we can no longer do the long drive.

Kate1949 Mon 16-May-22 09:56:12

We love Cornwall and hope to return soon. Free bus passes are fantastic. A few years ago we were at a bus stop in Lyme Regis. There was a man there with a large backpack. He said he was travelling the length and breadth of England using his free pass and setting up his tent for his accommodation.