Gransnet forums

Chat

Queen attending the Royal Windsor Horse Show today.

(58 Posts)
Esspee Fri 13-May-22 12:43:18

After her non appearance for the Queen’s Speech do you think she is sending a message to the government?

Dickens Sat 14-May-22 08:54:45

Callistemon21

Dickens I quite like having a monarchy, the continuity and relative stability. But your post is very good.
???

... I do have a 'sneaking' affection for Elizabeth. In spite of being a republican.

Her duties may not be what many consider 'real work' but they have imposed on her a way of life from which she's never abdicated, never faltered, so I can understand why people relate to the 'continuity' and 'stability'. She made a vow, as she herself said, "in her salad days", and she's stuck to it. I'm sure many think her wealth and position have given her an easy life, and to some extent that's true, but in exchange she has had to suppress her own individualism, be at the beck and call of the State, and live under the scrutiny and spotlight of both detractors and admirers. It's not a 'normal' way of life, but she's navigated it.

I've said before that when she dies, we will not see her like again. She will be the end of an era. And I won't be rejoicing with fellow republicans when she sheds her mortal coil.

Lucca Sat 14-May-22 09:15:10

Indi t think any “republicans “ on here will be rejoicing when she dies.

Lucca Sat 14-May-22 09:15:27

I don’t

volver Sat 14-May-22 09:16:24

Anyone who rejoices when another person dies needs to examine their credentials as a human being.

Urmstongran Sat 14-May-22 09:26:38

Lovely photos of HM the Queen looking happy and relaxed. She has a beautiful smile that lights up her face when she is pleased. Good for her to be out and abouting on a sunny day!

Dickens Sat 14-May-22 10:39:14

Lucca

Indi t think any “republicans “ on here will be rejoicing when she dies.

... my comment was not directed at any republicans on here - I don't think they'll be rejoicing either.

I was talking more generally - because I've read and heard some pretty unsavoury comments from abolitionists / republicans. You can be sure, some will.

FannyCornforth Sat 14-May-22 11:14:32

Urmstongran

Lovely photos of HM the Queen looking happy and relaxed. She has a beautiful smile that lights up her face when she is pleased. Good for her to be out and abouting on a sunny day!

Yes, she really looks marvellous.
They have always said that she’s never happier than when she is around horses.
They really are a passion of hers