Gransnet forums

Chat

Live Eurovision chat. Come on UK! ?? ?? ??

(126 Posts)
Kandinsky Sat 14-May-22 18:07:00

All set for 8.00pm!
Get yourself a nice glass of wine ? or cup of tea brew & enjoy.
Good luck Sam - our very own Spacemaaaaaan! We’ve actually got a brilliant song this year so should do well.

See you at 8.00!

henetha Sun 15-May-22 09:39:57

Exactly the result I hoped for. Exactly as it should be.
I am well pleased. smile smile smile

giulia Sun 15-May-22 12:28:25

Hey everybody! Italy adores Sam! I'm sure he's going to be even more popular here than in the good old UK!

Callistemon21 Sun 15-May-22 12:43:49

Agree gillgran if Spain had won they would have had to change title to the Eurovision thong contest
?
???

I did manage to stay awake although my battery didn't.

Brilliant result, well done Sam, Amy Wadge, Max Wolfgang and team ?

And congratulations to Ukraine, the People's Choice for all the best reasons

MayBee70 Sun 15-May-22 13:21:43

I love Eurovision. But that Spanish song represents everything I don’t like about it. Take away the dancing ( which I also didn’t like) and the song was awful. Don’t get it at all.

Sparklefizz Sun 15-May-22 15:14:13

I find I'm singing Sam's Spaceman song in my head all the time.... even when getting up for the loo in the night.

Hithere Sun 15-May-22 16:06:59

Maybee70

That song was clearly not designed for your demographics

Chanel's voice is incredible, song is catchy, just like a summer song

DanniRae Sun 15-May-22 16:07:35

I lasted until 11.30 and then was off to bed so woke up to find that Ukraine won and we came 2nd. This made me happy as I feel it was the best outcome! smile

Zoejory Sun 15-May-22 16:15:56

Excellent result. Especially as DH had placed a bet on Ukraine first and UK second.

I did feel rather sorry for Germany though. I couldn't understand why he fared so badly. I thought it was quite good. But at least it wasn't the dreaded nul points.

Great evening.

Callistemon21 Sun 15-May-22 17:29:35

Hithere

Maybee70

But didn't win.

MayBee70 Sun 15-May-22 17:30:45

Hithere

Maybee70

I do usually like typical catchy Eurovision songs though, but I didn’t find the Spanish one catchy. I’ll quite often carry on playing the Eurovision songs for quite a while after the contest. But, even after listening to the Spanish song several times I still can’t remember it. Even the chicken song that won a few years ago grew on me: ditto the weird Australian one from a couple of years ago where the woman was flying through the air on the end of a pole shock.

Hithere Sun 15-May-22 17:47:29

Callistemom

I didn't say it deserved to win

Jaylou Mon 16-May-22 11:46:02

Great result, though 2 things surprised me.

France giving us 12 points from their Jury.
The UK not giving Ukraine any points from their jury vote, a lot of votes are political and I thought in this case they would have given Ukraine at least some points, at least our public vote made up for that Must be embarrassed that Ukraine jury gave us 12 points.

Forestflame Mon 16-May-22 12:25:48

Thoroughly enjoyed the competition this year. Loved the UK, Ukraine, and Moldova entries. Felt sorry for Switzerland who didn't get any public votes. I though their song was quite good. I thought the overall standard was really high this year. I'm even thinking of getting the official CD, something I would never normally do ?

Sawsage2 Mon 16-May-22 12:56:22

Can't stop watching Spaceman on YouTube!

Theoddbird Mon 16-May-22 13:06:04

The perfect outcome. I was amazed at some of the voting...has been so political in the past. It was obvious that Ukraine would get the peoples vote. It was a brilliant song though so well deserved.

LondonMzFitz Mon 16-May-22 13:17:29

Callistemon21

^Agree gillgran if Spain had won they would have had to change title to the Eurovision thong contest^
?
???

I did manage to stay awake although my battery didn't.

Brilliant result, well done Sam, Amy Wadge, Max Wolfgang and team ?

And congratulations to Ukraine, the People's Choice for all the best reasons

Oh gosh, I didn't know that Amy Wadge was part of the writing team! I adored her music in the Keeping Faith series. Adored!

Amalegra Mon 16-May-22 14:22:15

Interesting to see the attention this has inspired after being somewhat lacklustre in recent years. I haven’t seen it in full since younger when we always watched it. Obvious that Ukraine would win and it is gratifying that it did, which will send out a message of unity to a certain Grizzly Bear! I was pleased that the UK came second as it shows we are perhaps being recognised by Europe for not being the slacker in European affairs we are often made out to be. I’m sorry, I have never just viewed this as a ‘music’ contest. I think political bias has always played a part. This time however they got it right!

fordk4 Mon 16-May-22 16:31:33

I think the new format was a farce britian won and threr should not have been a tv watching vote as we new would would happen urkrain won in the war simpithy vote.

henetha Mon 16-May-22 18:41:44

I think it's natural we want to show our support for Ukraine in ever possible way. The result was perfect, exactly how it should have been.

Candelle Mon 16-May-22 18:55:33

I've come to this thread rather late!

I am a Eurovision fan and think I have seen every one since they began. It's a piece of fluff but why not?

My parents were on the voting panel in the mid 1950's (mother in an evening dress) so I feel slightly 'related' to it.

I nearly passed out when France gave us 12 points - wow! Perhaps Europe has forgiven us our past transgressions? Entente Cordial?

I didn't quite 'get' the UK song but everyone else enjoyed it, so who am I to disagree?

Of course, Ukraine was always going to win (and probably quite right too - one in the eye for a certain eastern President), so in reality, we did win.

A good performance by Sam who gave it everything.

MayBee70 Mon 16-May-22 19:16:13

Candelle. What did you think of the standard of songs overall? I thought it wasn’t as good as usual.

Candelle Mon 16-May-22 19:33:07

Hello MayBee70

Mmm, I actually thought that the standard was slightly higher this year!

For an old wrinkly such as myself, I don't care too much about the songs - I just enjoy the whole evening. I am in a minority of one with everyone I know.

Mr C has just popped it and read over my shoulder (yes, extremely annoying!) and he agrees with you. So much for valuing my opinion!

I am always surprised when there's a run-through of past winning songs as I can often remember the melodies, so some of them must be reasonable...

I shall now go and research next year's ESC date and put it in my diary with fingers crossed that we'll be here to watch it (or if not, from above, sitting on a cloud!).

MayBee70 Mon 16-May-22 20:06:37

I guess there wasn’t a real standout song for me this year. In 2019 I loved KEiiNO’s Spirit in the Sky so much I played it over and over again. In fact I’ve just played it now to refresh my memory and I still love it! If I remember right it didn’t do very well on the first vote but was very popular with the peoples vote. I actually loved that Engelbert Humperdinck song years ago! A few of us spend weeks discussing all of the entries; some people are incredibly good at picking out the ones that will do well. Obsessive moi grin?

Candelle Mon 16-May-22 21:10:40

MayBee70, why not be obsessive?!

There's seems so little to be cheery about these days that a little bit of fluff such as this can only be '*a good thing'*!

Incidentally, there are five possible dates for scheduled for the Eurovision Song Contest final 2023:

29 April; 6 May; 13 May; 20 May or 27 May.

Hopefully, it will be held in Ukraine and those in the arena will have pad in Euros.....

Candelle Mon 16-May-22 21:12:13

Apologies, line three should read:

'Incidentally, there are five possible dates scheduled for the Eurovision..... '