Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you iron tea towels

(289 Posts)
Beau1958 Mon 16-May-22 11:21:48

I was doing our ironing yesterday my other half gets through far many clothes than I
Anyway I’m ironing a couple of tea towels and I thought how many people actually iron them am I a minority ? I like to see them neat in the draw in the kitchen. I also iron my OH pants ?? am I mad !!

GraceQuirrel Wed 18-May-22 10:47:10

I iron a shirt when a wedding or funeral requires it.

MayBee70 Wed 18-May-22 10:25:51

Germanshepherdsmum

I have never been one for admiring my tea towel drawer and I can't recall anyone else ever asking to look at it.

I realise we’re very likely to meet up in the real world but rest assured if we did I would certainly ask to see and admire your tea towel drawer on the condition that you admired mine, too grin

Mistyfluff8 Wed 18-May-22 10:06:08

Always. Ironed the minimum and now lots of clothing if you hang it straight up does not need ironing .Got a sister in law who irons everything what a waste of time

narrowboatnan Wed 18-May-22 09:32:24

I don’t possess an iron ?

Yogamum Wed 18-May-22 09:01:43

No. But I do have a dryer and find if you fold things fresh out of the dryer, wrinkles come out.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 18-May-22 08:57:08

I have never been one for admiring my tea towel drawer and I can't recall anyone else ever asking to look at it.

nanna8 Wed 18-May-22 08:23:25

I iron tea towels, they look better in the drawer nice and sharply creased. Plus the hot iron kills germs. I don't mind ironing, I am very quick after years of practice

Socksandsocks01 Wed 18-May-22 07:40:28

I used to iron everything before I hit the menopause. Hot flushes would start as soon as I was near any heat so I only ironed when I had to. Now at 65 and still working full time I only iron if necessary. But ironing socks kills germs and the same for knickers. The price of electricity now would curtail many.

Cymres1 Wed 18-May-22 00:29:19

I avoid ironing after years of having to do uniforms for work - except for patchwork, that is on a mini ironing board by the sewing machine. The best thing I ever invested in is a pulley on the ceiling of the kitchen. It was particularly useful for all the small bits for the children, no pegs, just popped along. Saved so much time, folded carefully there's no ironing time wasted. I know some people use ironing to listen to audio books, but I prefer a comfortable bed and my kindle, thanks .

Frangipan Tue 17-May-22 23:59:14

Yes I always have done, following in my mother's footsteps who used to iron everything. She told me she ironed tea towels to sterilize them ? She taught me to iron on tea towels after I asked her to show me how to iron, it always reminds me of her every time.
I have to confess though if I dry them in the dryer they just get folded and put away, I guess they would be well sterilized by then even by my mums standards ?

MissAdventure Tue 17-May-22 23:25:33

Do any remain, considering all the super duper "new and improved" washing powders and liquids these days?

Notyetagranbut Tue 17-May-22 23:08:04

Always iron tea towels and bedding. The heat and steam kill off any remaining bacteria.

Coco51 Tue 17-May-22 21:21:37

If I am in an ironing mood - it is always a result of a resolution to be tidy and ironed and properly folded things take up less space (I’ve got one of those foldy things so they are all the same size) Unfortunately healthwise I am not always able to follow up on good intentions. But, back in the day I ironed nappies, towels, handkerchiefs (remember them?) knickers, pants, sheets, duvet covers…

Shizam Tue 17-May-22 20:47:53

Rarely iron. But it’s quite a satisfying process when I do. My iron is off the 80s. Still sort of works. Needs an upgrade. Like most things round mine. ?

Claudiaclaws Tue 17-May-22 20:36:01

Yes, I iron my tea towels. I like to see them neat in the drawer.

Alio72 Tue 17-May-22 20:21:28

Enjoy ironing and iron T towels (kills any bugs) sheets, pillowcases, husbands pants etc etc ...very soothing ironing an d listening to Audible or BBC sounds..peaceful time to myself which I can justify!!

MissAdventure Tue 17-May-22 20:05:26

I used to iron everything years ago..
I quite enjoyed ironing all my daughters tiny little bits and pieces when she was a child.
Now, though, no.

Henanbien64 Tue 17-May-22 19:49:14

Yes. I'm in the minority also. I iron everything even towels. I know it's not really necessary but I still do it.

Sara1954 Tue 17-May-22 19:45:36

I do the weeks ironing on Saturday afternoons, and it’s about the only time I watch any television.
Nothing that demands too much concentration, at the moment I’m working through classic Coronation street.

Fridayschild Tue 17-May-22 19:32:41

My tea towels are mostly terry so don’t need ironed (I throw them in the tumble dryer with towels and fold them when dry) although I used to iron the two ends. I have a waffle one that my daughter brought from a holiday and that needs ironed so it’s not used much! No underwear is ironed although some of DH’s boxers could do with it - usually a good shake is all they get.
To deviate slightly, can I ask why some people call a drawer a draw? I’ve seen it used before but not in my part of the world. ?

Scheherazades Tue 17-May-22 19:21:50

I iron nothing ????

Leedee Tue 17-May-22 19:19:32

I don’t, better things to do with my time! Yet, my mum does… older generation thing maybe? She’s 75, but she always has lovely white ones too, soaks them the old way, I fail miserably!

HazelEyes Tue 17-May-22 19:15:08

Never ever ever!

Nannyknee Tue 17-May-22 19:07:57

I iron everything, tea towels dusters ver Muslim face cloths. Yes I’m mad, but I don’t bother to fold and throw everything in the ironing basket ?

Juliesse29 Tue 17-May-22 18:58:00

Yes sterilses them. I washed told on a first qid course