Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you have a strategy for one of “those” days? I

(120 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Tue 17-May-22 10:07:17

Those mornings when you wake up feeling bleak? Life is empty?
You can’t pin it down exactly, but nobody has rung or replied to texts or messages. You don’t feel like initiating anything yourself as there’s that deep down fear of rejection or appearing needy? There’s only so often you can be the one to make the first move anyway.
Coffee and WH are not unpleasant as a distraction, but you still feel close to the edge?

Suggestions on a postcard please!

henetha Tue 17-May-22 10:12:25

Put some music on and do a few exercises. It's quite uplifting.
Then go out for a mindful walk, admiring the birds, the trees, the sky, children playing, etc. Try to feel content alone.
(this works for me some-days; other times, bleh!! grin

Walt Whitman said "When shows break up what but oneself is sure".

LauraNorderr Tue 17-May-22 10:15:37

I’m replying Maw. So you’ve used a good strategy, come on to GNet for some good company. Others will be along in a minute.
Now plant a smile on your face, play some music and enjoy a few hours of mindless banter with the rest of us.

cornergran Tue 17-May-22 10:15:59

Unless it’s truly awful outside I make myself go out maw. A walk in the countryside, a park or by the sea always helps. Usually someone smiles and says a good morning, a bonus.

I’m sorry life isn’t easy today. Sending love, a virtual hug and a hope tomorrow feels less difficult,

AGAA4 Tue 17-May-22 10:22:51

I have those sort of days. I find that switching off by reading a good book, doing puzzles, going for a walk helps. Anything that takes your mind off how you're feeling.
Wishing you a better day tomorrow ?

timetogo2016 Tue 17-May-22 10:24:42

I don`t tend to have those type of days thankfully.

HowVeryDareYou Tue 17-May-22 10:30:54

I know what you mean. My problem is that I feel I haven't got a purpose now - I can't work, my adult sons have got their own lives, my husband works full-time (today 5.45 - 4.15) and friends work too.

I try to find things to do - aqua aerobics twice a week, Zumba gold once a week, a club on Thursdays, then I do a volunteer telephone befriending service a couple of times a week. The rest of the time, housework, reading, going to a park.

LauraNorderr Tue 17-May-22 10:31:06

Let’s just have a chat.
Anyone think that Shakespeare was the Morrisey of his time? Talented but depressing.
Anyone think that airports shouldn’t be named after pop singers or footballers?

Kate1949 Tue 17-May-22 10:38:51

Yes Maw How I sympathise. Some days we don't know how we get through but somehow we do. Be kind to yourself.

midgey Tue 17-May-22 10:40:44

Go out for a walk Maw, it’s your only hope. Can you find greenery to look at? That will help too. Hope you feel better soon.

henetha Tue 17-May-22 10:41:43

Good idea.
I think Shakespeare was a genius with words, but I find his plays difficult. But he did write comedies as well.
One of my favourite song titles is Morrisey's "Heaven knows I'm miserable now". It makes me laugh. I used to quite like The Smith's. Any particular song, by anyone, which makes you laugh?

I don't really mind airports being named after pop stars etc.
I just dislike airports! All that fuss and checking and waiting.
Why can't it be just like getting on a train? What's your favourite form of transport?

LauraNorderr Tue 17-May-22 10:53:31

I like trains best Henetha and agree about disliking airports because of the long waits and hassles.
How about you Maw?

Doodledog Tue 17-May-22 10:56:25

I like any sort of transport once I'm on it, or on the last leg - basically when I don't have the stress of changing planes or trains or buses. I hate the 'we are running a bit late, and I might miss the connection' feeling. I also hate not knowing my way around strange stations or airports and having to get from A to B with limited time to do so. Having said that, it's ages since I've travelled anywhere other than in the car, so I might see it as worth it if I did it again.

Once I'm sitting down, though, I like the fact that there is nothing else I should be doing, and I just relax. I read lots of novels on my (bus) commute when I was working.

MawtheMerrier Tue 17-May-22 10:59:45

I don’t know anything about the Smiths (deprived childhood, too much classical music) but I do enjoy Shakespeare and have this poster from the NT which sums him up perfectly!
I hope it is legible.
I also enjoy parodies/send ups of Shakespeare such as the wonderful “Upstart Crow” series with David Mitchell. In the same way that the final episode of “Blackadder” brought us all up short, the one where Shakespeare’s son Hamnet dies of the plague is heart wrenching though.

MawtheMerrier Tue 17-May-22 11:02:06

Trains win against planes any day especially if they are Eurostar with a champagne under one’s belt from the Champagne Bar and St Pancras has to be my favourite station of all time - for destination shopping too!

AGAA4 Tue 17-May-22 11:11:20

I like the Smiths too. Some of the lyrics are very honest.

LauraNorderr Tue 17-May-22 11:15:09

I became aware of the Smiths when our eldest went off to University and became a miserable little b, he was listening to The Smiths and reading too much Stephen King. He then took a year out, went travelling, returned as his usual happy self and finished his degree elsewhere. Met a girl who liked Boyzone and normality was restored. Well a form of normality anyway.
I too enjoyed Upstart Crow, David Mitchell is very clever.
Trains and champagne, perfect.

Vintagejazz Tue 17-May-22 11:23:10

I don't know your particular situation, but could you do some voluntary work? I find if some days of the week have a bit of shape and make on them, the idler days feel relaxing.

BeEmerald Tue 17-May-22 11:24:53

HowVeryDareYou you do have a purpose. That purpose is to be the best version of yourself you can be. You are unique in this world. Over seven billion people and only one HVDY. Remember Desiderata ‘ Strive to be Happy ‘.

Davida1968 Tue 17-May-22 11:29:23

Midgey is right. I've cited this quote before, on GN; "When you feel blue, go green!" That is to say: go outside into the greenery. Even better if you've a garden/plot/yard/balcony/windowsill where you can potter with plants.

Witzend Tue 17-May-22 11:35:46

MawtheMerrier

Trains win against planes any day especially if they are Eurostar with a champagne under one’s belt from the Champagne Bar and St Pancras has to be my favourite station of all time - for destination shopping too!

The contrast between St Pancras and the Gare du Nord is - well, I had better not be too rude, for fear of offending the Francophiles on here.

fairfraise Tue 17-May-22 11:38:37

That last quote is quite true. I've just spent a happy hour trimming back hedge. Unfortunately the pruning saw my DH was using revealed a birds nest, so we stopped. Hope they're not too disturbed.

jaylucy Tue 17-May-22 11:39:26

If it's fine, I go for a walk - even if it's just round the block, followed by a cup of tea or coffee while sitting in the garden.
Wet days I catch up on cleaning the bedrooms that aren't being used, have a check through one of my many drawers and cupboards , then a nice book to read or pick up one of my crafts.
I actually quite enjoy days on my own just doing what I fancy, when I feel like it!

Lucca Tue 17-May-22 12:14:50

Somebody mentioned reading a good book. That’s what I should be doing but I have found myself incapable of reading recently. Annoying.

I know what you mean Maw and it’s a bugger, I remember a time when I had to decide between asking people to do something or being on my own again……

What is WH ?!

sodapop Tue 17-May-22 12:32:35

We mentioned the date of the Battle of Austerlizt to a friend here, he said
"That wasn't the date of a battle, it was the last time the station was cleaned"
Thought you may agree with that Witzend