Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you ever go to the cinema/ theatre on your own?

(162 Posts)
Kandinsky Thu 19-May-22 12:28:53

I wish I had the nerve but I’d feel a bit silly going on my own - not sure why really?

I wouldn’t go to a restaurant or cafe on my own either, as for a pub! ?

M0nica Thu 19-May-22 14:39:11

Wouldn't think twice. I have done it ever since I was about 13 or 14. If i wanted to see a film and my sister didn't, I just went on my own. It would be day time and my parents would know where I was.

Once I got to university, I would go to the ballet and opera, mainly opera, when touring companies came to town. others did not share my taste, so I went alone.

I cannot think of any occasion in my ordinary life that I have let going somewhere alone interfer with my ordinary pursuits.

What is the problem?

OakDryad Thu 19-May-22 14:40:52

I do to all these things on my own and prefer it that way. Doing things with friends, even someone who shares an interest or passion for whatever it is, can still be restricting. You'd prefer to see the 3:00pm movie showing, they want to go at 5:00pm.

It may be a case of needs must when single (widowed young in my case) else you just sit indoors not having a social life and miss so much. In fact, going it alone over the years has made me more outgoing, more confident. The more you do it the less you think about being on your own and revel in the freedom.

Casdon Thu 19-May-22 14:45:52

Going to the cinema on your own is no big deal at all. Go for an early performance, and you’ll find there are more people on their own than there are with somebody else. There’s often a film on that I want to see that nobody close to me is interested in - men and women tend not to enjoy the same type of films in my experience. I don’t understand why you would miss out on seeing something you will enjoy, there’s absolutely nothing to feel awkward about.

henetha Thu 19-May-22 15:14:43

Yes. I will go anywhere alone and have done all my life. I've always been very independent and somewhat anti-social.
Going alone is often better than going with someone else.
That doesn't mean I want to be alone ALL the time, but mainly I prefer it.

muse Thu 19-May-22 15:14:52

Lots of times but never a pub unless it was to eat.
Cafes in the daytime always have a few singles.

After I divorced, I found theatre trips unnerving at first but once seated, as at the cinema, it makes no difference. I’ve done a couple of holidays by myself, gigs too.

I remarried a few years ago but I still enjoy lunch out by myself on my days off and visits to gardens and the cinema. We have quite different interests when it comes to films.

Ailidh Thu 19-May-22 15:19:11

I often go to the theatre alone, also cafés, art galleries, restaurants, wine bars but probably not pubs. I don't tend to eat out solo late in the evening but then I don't tend to eat late anyway.

AreWeThereYet Thu 19-May-22 15:31:18

Quite happy going anywhere alone. As someone else said, most people aren't interested in what others are doing, they're way too involved with their own lives.

I often think I could probably wander round naked and a lot of people wouldn't notice. (Until the screams started. And even that would probably be missed by all those engrossed on their phones/tablets.)

Caleo Thu 19-May-22 15:38:40

I often have gone to cinema, concert, and opera on my own.

MawtheMerrier Thu 19-May-22 15:42:07

Regularly.
Matinees, TBH but I often find someone to chat to (usually a woman of around my vintage) and not all cinemas, I avoid the sort of bucket of popcorn pint of coke type places, preferring a glass of Merlot and a reclining seat!

Sussexborn Thu 19-May-22 15:52:04

icanhandthemback

Yes. As you can't talk to anyone throughout the film, it is hardly worth taking company.

If only! Last time we went to the cinema I ended up asking the people in front of us to pipe down, although a bit more politely!

I am thinking of going to see Downton on my own as OH has zero interest. My friend goes to the cinema and theatre on her own and especially enjoys pantos, including shouting out!

Grandma70s Thu 19-May-22 15:52:18

I have always been quite happy to go alone, because I go in order to see the film or the performance, not as a social occasion.

HettyBetty Thu 19-May-22 16:14:57

Yes, cinema, theatre and concert hall. I go to see the film/play/concert, happy to have someone with me but equally happy alone.

HowVeryDareYou Thu 19-May-22 16:20:55

I'm lucky to have a husband and family to go out with. I wouldn't go to a cinema or pub alone, but I've been to cafes alone and felt really self-conscious.

Madgran77 Thu 19-May-22 16:36:46

I do, regularly! Love it! Cup of tea, small tub of pop corn and if really spoiling myself a single scoop of Haagen Daaz ice cream - watch the movie, lost in the story, no-one I have to talk to, think about ...Bliss

Riverwalk Thu 19-May-22 16:51:15

I most certainly would and do go to the cinema & theatre on my own.

Over the years we've had a few of these threads and I can never understand why people are so self-conscious of being seen alone!

I'm quite a sociable person so prefer to go with someone else but my best friend is not always around, my sister works full-time, and other friends are either working or don't live locally so not free if on a whim I fancy a film.

I wouldn't leave home to go out for lunch/dinner/pub on my own, but would certainly go and eat in one if out and about and it's a meal time!

Like Maw my cinemas are the Everyman/Curzon type with squishy reclining chairs and sofas, with side tables for drinks. wine cafe

Get out there Kandinsky!

ginny Thu 19-May-22 16:54:08

Some people I know won’t go anywhere on their own. They often seem worried that others will think they have no friends or family.
I can’t see it matters what other people think but at least it gives them something to talk about.

Biscuitmuncher Thu 19-May-22 17:08:27

I'm an only child I've spent most my life on my own

Sara1954 Thu 19-May-22 17:13:08

I have never done it , and I don’t think I could.
Sometimes my husband would like to see a film that I don’t, and would be happy to go alone, but I won’t let him. I’d be feeling sorry for him all alone.

Kim19 Thu 19-May-22 17:14:21

Yes, do it regularly. Recently in London I had wonderful seats for two shows at huge reduction. Think single seats are easier to find last minute.

timetogo2016 Thu 19-May-22 17:23:45

Never have,never will,then again i don`t like the cinema or the theatre.

biglouis Thu 19-May-22 21:04:07

When I was more mobile I often went on my own. I once went to the opera alone in Prague. It was incredibly cheap so I sat in a box like royalty.

GagaJo Thu 19-May-22 21:08:30

Yes, and have done so. To be honest, I enjoy it more. I take snacks that I like, buy a drink and enter the film completely. No need to consider the needs of anyone else.

FoghornLeghorn Thu 19-May-22 21:27:41

Sara1954

I have never done it , and I don’t think I could.
Sometimes my husband would like to see a film that I don’t, and would be happy to go alone, but I won’t let him. I’d be feeling sorry for him all alone.

So do you go along under sufferance or forbid him to go?

Elizabeth27 Thu 19-May-22 21:37:35

I prefer to go to the cinema alone, I go to watch the film so do not need anyone else there. There are quite a few people sitting alone in the afternoon showings.

Knittingnovice Thu 19-May-22 21:45:35

I'm going alone to theatre next week. I don't want to go alone, I know it's better to go alone than not go, but I still feel a bit of shame. Its the arriving that scares me