Gransnet forums

Chat

Iceland to offer over 60's a ten per cent discount

(100 Posts)
infoman Thu 19-May-22 17:00:04

on Tuesdays only,might ease the cost of buying food.

Faye71 Thu 19-May-22 21:52:57

Has this offer started? I shall try next Tuesday

MissAdventure Thu 19-May-22 22:33:21

I think it starts on the 24th, but I may have made that up in my own mind.

Faye71 Fri 20-May-22 02:10:54

Just googled - yes, it starts next Tuesday.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61512945

Ailidh Fri 20-May-22 05:00:31

Another big fan of Iceland here because of their service during Lockdown - early on I had to self isolate for a fortnight, all my neighbours were vulnerable, so I wouldn't ask them to shop for me, and none of the big supermarkets, including the one I'd shopped at for decades, yes, I'm looking at you, Sainsbury's, would deliver because I wasn't on The List. Iceland did.

Since I moved, there's not one quite a's close to me but I'll make a point of finding the nearest one to me now and going on a Tuesday to support them. And get my discount!

Esmay Fri 20-May-22 08:45:31

Iceland used to offer a very limited range of foods .Now it's improved enormously. The staff are delightful and speak to me politely . I heard the new manager speaking rudely to them and I told him off !
I also shop in Sainsburys (nice staff as well ) for fresh vegetables and other items . But I buy the bulk of my shopping in Iceland .It's mainly fish ,chicken some frozen vegetables bread, dairy produce salads and fruit .plus cleaning products .
However, since the lockdown it's not so easy to get home deliveries .
My father,who has never eaten healthy food like salads and vegetables nor fish is a nightmare to feed and wants food immediately or he loses interest or his temper . I have to rely on ready meals for him .Even so I usually supplement his diet with Complan and Ensure .
I do go to other supermarkets to ring the changes - Tescos Marks and Spencers .
Friends will ask me if they are shopping if I need anything. Sometimes we go together and have tea and a treat in the larger supermarkets.
If I have guests I go to Waitrose especially for meat and cheese .
I love Waitrose, though I think that the range of their patisserie has reduced .
Otherwise ,I occasionally buy cakes in our local bakers,which are disappointing.
My father loves them !
Our local butcher is exclusive and expensive,but you can order special cuts from him .
There is no local greengrocer nor fishmonger .

Zaseret Fri 20-May-22 08:57:09

This is not available for delivery and you have to show proof of age.
Like others, Iceland was a godsend early in the pandemic when, not being quite 70, supermarkets who had delivered to me for years would not let me have a slot.

Audi10 Fri 20-May-22 09:08:49

Oh that’s nice to hear

Pepper59 Fri 20-May-22 09:26:31

Iceland seems to have been really quite good. I don't shop at my one because there isn't much that is gluten-free, however,I could buy a few other things there. The supermarkets seem to be prepared to try and help folk. Asda round our way has been good too. The range of GF frozen food has been really reduced everywhere, but the Amy's range announced they would no longer be supplying the UK. I've no idea why.

N4na Sat 21-May-22 11:16:35

If you get a bonus card and top it up before you shop, you also get£1 back on the card for every £20 you use it to pay with, plus the occasional bonus. Our delivery man is friendly too.

Nannina Sat 21-May-22 11:24:51

Polly73

Not the healthiest of supermarkets? (I don’t know, don’t go there - but I have the idea it’s mainly fast foods?)

Polly73
Perhaps you ought to pay a visit Or have a look on line. They sell fresh meat, fish, veg and fruit alongside a good selection of frozen food and groceries. Also free delivery on orders over £30 in store or £40 on line. I’ve had deliveries for years and found them reliable and helpful. Sometimes our presumptions are wrong. Their CEO is also very active and in green matters and often challenges current political thinking. Well done Iceland for offering support at these difficult times, wonder if others will follow!

hicaz46 Sat 21-May-22 11:24:57

I’ve used Iceland all through lockdown and continue to use them as well as other online shops. During the summer we order ice lollies and ice creams which are for us and grandkids. So much cheaper than big supermarkets. I also donate every two weeks to a local homeless charity and order tinned veg etc from Iceland. It’s also handy for a quick top up as they offer 2 hour same day slots.

Urmstongran Sat 21-May-22 11:30:49

We’ve got an Iceland down in the square below us. Must check it out on Tuesdays! Be silly not to.

Daisend1 Sat 21-May-22 11:36:22

I am a great favourite of Iceland and during the first lockdown well remember they never let me down always finding me a slot to suit when it came to a delivery and never any shortages with my order always complete.

Redhead56 Sat 21-May-22 11:41:39

Thanks for sharing handy to know.

Kate1949 Sat 21-May-22 11:45:33

No it's not available on delivery. However if you do a 'big shop' in the shop itself, I think they will deliver it for you after you have paid.

Toddleo Sat 21-May-22 11:51:12

I am a big Iceland fan, their fish is the best around, and their thick sliced bread is nice too.

Susieq62 Sat 21-May-22 12:04:30

They were very efficient during lockdown ! Their frozen fish, prawns, veg are very good plus they offer fresh things! This will be a help to many!

Shinamae Sat 21-May-22 12:09:03

I think I am right in saying that during the horsemeat scandal a few years ago that Iceland was the only company found NOT to have horse meat in their products!

Nannashirlz Sat 21-May-22 12:09:37

Oh that’s good, Iceland have being the best supermarket out there through covid and beyond. Ive found drivers are brilliant always helpful offering to carry into kitchen etc obviously not in lockdown. As a priority customer they beat other’s hands down as a disabled person trying to get your shopping out of a crate on the floor and drivers just ignore you struggling that’s is wear others fail also got lovely lass who brings my fruit and veg. But Iceland get a gold star ⭐️ off me lol

Millie22 Sat 21-May-22 12:11:55

Can we only go on a Tuesday. I wish more supermarkets would do this.

vee Sat 21-May-22 12:13:55

Not at all. They have a huge choice of their own and branded frozen good quality products and some very good prices and offers. We are lucky to have a new Iceland Warehouse opened recently. Love it.

Pammie1 Sat 21-May-22 12:16:35

Polly73

Not the healthiest of supermarkets? (I don’t know, don’t go there - but I have the idea it’s mainly fast foods?)

Ours sells a good range of fresh meat, fruit and veg and their fresh baked bread is lovely.

vee Sat 21-May-22 12:18:03

We are lucky to have a new Iceland Warehouse and it's fantastic. Lots of choice of their own and top brand products, good quality and good prices.

Nannapat1 Sat 21-May-22 12:24:07

'Not the healthiest of supermarkets? (I don’t know, don’t go there - but I have the idea it’s mainly fast foods?)'

Iceland sell the Slimming World products and do also sell fresh veg, fruit and meat, alongside those 'unhealthier choices.

SachaMac Sat 21-May-22 12:24:43

I don’t get to Iceland often but when I do I stock up on frozen fish & vegetables. I also buy a few Slimming World ready meals, some of which are very tasty & a healthier option.
I occasionally buy the cook at home Greggs sausage rolls, the GC like them as a treat now & then. A discount for over 60’s will be good.