Gransnet forums

Chat

Ukrainian refugee and host running off together

(119 Posts)
Secretsquirrel1 Sat 21-May-22 17:57:07

Did anyone see in the DM today about the British couple who took in beautiful 22 year old refugee from Ukraine and shortly after then the man dumped his partner of 10 years and ran off with her. Apparently ‘they had a connection from the start’.
I feel so sorry for the mans partner of ten years. What a betrayal. Talk about no good deed goes unpunished ! Men are faithless creatures.
I wouldn’t be surprised if this young lady doesn’t get fed up and dump him before too long. I just hope his previous partner doesn’t take him back if he comes crawling home.

Doodledog Sun 22-May-22 17:29:07

Whether she could say no or not rather depends on the question, doesn't it?

MissAdventure Sun 22-May-22 17:35:13

I hold the man responsible.
He has taken advantage of someone needing help, and used it to boost his own ego.
Hopefully, the woman will get stronger, and see him for what he is, and dump his sorry arse.

Katie59 Sun 22-May-22 20:26:38

What was his wife thinking of, allowing a young woman into her house, men are so easily seduced, we all have sympathy with refugees, that was a disaster waiting to happen.

Esspee Sun 22-May-22 20:39:44

Going by the photo on this thread she cannot be described as beautiful. I do wonder why, both of them having behaved so badly, they are willing to air their dirty laundry in public. It has to be for the money I suppose.

Dickens Sun 22-May-22 20:57:30

Katie59

What was his wife thinking of, allowing a young woman into her house, men are so easily seduced, we all have sympathy with refugees, that was a disaster waiting to happen.

If a man is so immature that he can't control himself in the company of a young woman, well that's a sorry state of affairs.

And really, there are men who are not easily seduced. Some of them manage to admire an attractive woman without feeling the need to own them.

Casdon Sun 22-May-22 21:01:18

Esspee

Going by the photo on this thread she cannot be described as beautiful. I do wonder why, both of them having behaved so badly, they are willing to air their dirty laundry in public. It has to be for the money I suppose.

I think she looks haunted. This is down to him solely I would guess.

FannyCornforth Mon 23-May-22 09:26:53

Katie59

Either
A) the wife really loved and trusted her husband, and never dreamt that this would happen

Or

B) he coerced his wife into it. Possibly he abused her kindness and generosity

That’s what I think, anyway.
What a sad state of affairs

Doodledog Mon 23-May-22 10:30:59

Are people really so unsure of their husbands that they wouldn't trust them around a young woman? How did those who feel like that cope when your daughters had friends over?

Mr Dog has worked with women, been friends with women and spent time in the company of women (some of them no doubt very attractive) in all the 42 years we've been married, and it's never once been an issue. If I even thought he'd take advantage of a very young, vulnerable and probably traumatised refugee after 2 weeks in our house, I'd divorce him without a backward glance. Actually, I would never have married him in the first place.

Esspee Mon 23-May-22 11:04:54

Katie59. Are you actually blaming the wife? She’s to blame as “men are so easily seduced”. Really?

On Mumsnet you would be flayed alive for victim blaming. I suggest you return to the 1950’s where you have clearly formed your attitudes.

“Men are so easily seduced” is another

FannyCornforth Mon 23-May-22 11:08:22

Oh, Esspee, I sort of know what Kate means.
It’s more that some men are rather simple creatures.
I don’t think that she actually meant that in this case Ms K. was the guilty partner

MawtheMerrier Mon 23-May-22 11:22:16

Dickens

Katie59

If a man is so immature that he can't control himself in the company of a young woman, well that's a sorry state of affairs.

And really, there are men who are not easily seduced. Some of them manage to admire an attractive woman without feeling the need to own them.

Hear, hear!
What a Victorian attitude - @Katie - but perhaps there are still Neanderthal men out there.

JdotJ Mon 23-May-22 12:12:21

I read this morning that the wife did have reservations with opening their home to a refugee as their children had to give up their bedroom to be able to host someone.
Did the husband bully his wife into the decision, with every intention to start a relationship with the person he had been corresponding with ?
Nasty piece of work. He's allegedly moved himself and new girlfriend into his mother's house.

Audi10 Mon 23-May-22 12:13:29

Feel very very sad for his poor partner! I’m not surprised though! Good looking woman comes in to household on all accounts his partner feeling threatened as this woman staying up late with him following him about cooking him meals! What could go wrong!

Audi10 Mon 23-May-22 12:16:38

Also she told him that his wife was very lucky to have him! Like so many men and women looking for a bit of excitement!

ruthiek Mon 23-May-22 12:21:46

Agree with you Kate

sodapop Mon 23-May-22 12:21:47

I don't subscribe to the theory that men are simple creatures and easily led astray. For goodness sake they are grown ups and as such responsible for their own actions. Its a sad state of affairs ( no pun intended ) when an attractive woman is not welcome in your home.

RoseLily1 Mon 23-May-22 12:22:28

I have looked on some of the Facebook sites where Ukrainians are requesting sponsors and many of the girls' photos are what I would call glamour shots. I do realise that people are entitled to show themselves as they choose, but whether it is the wisest way when you are a lone female asking for accommodation with unknown people in a foreign country is open to question

Amalegra Mon 23-May-22 12:23:12

Another sleazy story from that horrendous rag, the Sun! Saw it on the Apple News headlines and skimmed over it with a feeling of deja vu. There are bound to be some difficult if not downright risky situations in matching hosts with refugees; I presume it would be viewed as a given! Shame the government did not have an adequate policy with regards to Ukrainian refugees. But looking at the shambles they make of the constant refugee/immigrant crises generally, I guess we should have expected this present one to have its flaws.

Bungle22 Mon 23-May-22 12:32:59

Doubt somehow this is the first affair he’s had. And he hasnt just left his partner, he’s left his 2 young children too.

FannyCornforth Mon 23-May-22 12:38:31

I used to work with someone just like him.
This is exactly the sort of trick that he’d pull.
He was an absolute bloody nightmare. envy

JenniferEccles Mon 23-May-22 12:41:21

The Ukrainian girl is quoted as saying that she fancied the husband the minute she set eyes on him, so that really destroys the theory that she is ‘vulnerable’ and ‘abused’ doesn’t it?
It seems to me that they are as bad as each another.

What will happen when one, or both of them come to their senses? Even if the wife has him back, she’s certainly not going to want the Ukrainian anywhere near them, but these housing agreements are for a minimum of six months.
It’s a great scheme when it works and British families are to be commended for giving it a go, but there are just so many scenarios where it could be a complete disaster for all concerned.
Even something as common and simple as a clash of personalities, could make that six month commitment seem very long indeed!

sandwichgeneration Mon 23-May-22 12:42:46

A young woman, vulnerable, in a different country, away from friends and family having seen who knows what in the war. What man would take advantage, other than a rotten one?

MissAdventure Mon 23-May-22 12:51:30

A few changes of tune on here.
A while ago everyone was champing at the bit to say how they would happily host displaced people.
No wonder some men feel at liberty to behave in a predatory way - they have women's blessings, almost.

Kathy72 Mon 23-May-22 12:53:48

Apparently the man and the Ukrainian girl are living with his parents now. I don’t know how that fits in with the sponsorship scheme she signed up for. I hope the man’s father has more restraint, otherwise she might go off with the older man! In the photos she looks very glamorous and confident, but of course she may be traumatised by events in her home country inside

MissAdventure Mon 23-May-22 12:55:18

What on earth are his parents thinking?!
angry