Gransnet forums

Chat

Ukrainian refugee and host running off together

(119 Posts)
Secretsquirrel1 Sat 21-May-22 17:57:07

Did anyone see in the DM today about the British couple who took in beautiful 22 year old refugee from Ukraine and shortly after then the man dumped his partner of 10 years and ran off with her. Apparently ‘they had a connection from the start’.
I feel so sorry for the mans partner of ten years. What a betrayal. Talk about no good deed goes unpunished ! Men are faithless creatures.
I wouldn’t be surprised if this young lady doesn’t get fed up and dump him before too long. I just hope his previous partner doesn’t take him back if he comes crawling home.

dumdum Mon 23-May-22 15:16:10

It’s easy to understand and I feel really sorry for all parties, but, you don’t know what else was going on in this mans life. Why was he ready to ditch his marriage and run off with a Ukrainian. Was his wife really that blameless?

Callistemon21 Mon 23-May-22 15:29:22

JdotJ

I read this morning that the wife did have reservations with opening their home to a refugee as their children had to give up their bedroom to be able to host someone.
Did the husband bully his wife into the decision, with every intention to start a relationship with the person he had been corresponding with ?
Nasty piece of work. He's allegedly moved himself and new girlfriend into his mother's house.

He's allegedly moved himself and new girlfriend into his mother's house

What kind of a mother is she?
And grandmother to his children too!!

If my son thought he could pull a stunt like that he'd soon find out what I thought of him and his new paramour.

coastalgran Mon 23-May-22 15:31:17

The story will pep up the news about Ukraine which a few weeks ago filled copious pages of every newspaper, today in my paper it was a single page on about page 10. Even winning Eurovision was a short lived story. The post about the refugees getting work and having their children placed in private schools - lucky them, this will anger some people as well who cannot afford such luxuries for their kids or find employment for themselves so easily. This very savvy young woman will find herself a rich man in the UK, not necessarily the host, he is a means to an end.

Vintagejazz Mon 23-May-22 15:38:14

The Sun really is a rag. Why does this sad and sordid little tale merit publication? It's not uplifting, it's not of any national importance and it in no way represents the general experience of offering accommodation to Ukrainian refugees.

It seems to have been published with the sole purpose of provoking anti Ukrainian feeling amongst those of little intelligence.

Joseanne Mon 23-May-22 15:43:42

The post about the refugees getting work will anger people. I have read a couple of posts from hosts on GN, who have helped the refugees by obtaining interviews and filling out job applications. That is what support does and yes it should be available to all, but let's not decry the selfless efforts of those who are putting wheels in motion for these people .
I don't for a minute believe there are more than one or two scheming refugees, it is just unfortunate this case is getting all the publicity.

Joseanne Mon 23-May-22 15:45:05

X post Vintagejazz.

mumofmadboys Mon 23-May-22 16:28:15

We are hosting a Ukranian family of four- both parents , a 4 year old and a 2 year old. They have been here for 12 days. We live in a big house fortunately. We have 5 children of our own- all adult. We work well as a team. The family are lovely- we are lucky. However inevitably there will be tensions and annoyances. There are cultural differences and they have a different approach to parenting than we had. No one way is right - just different. The dad has started work and the 4 year old goes to nursery each afternoon. So far, so good. I am sure we will have bumps along the way but I feel confident DH and I will cope together.

posset Mon 23-May-22 16:43:33

Vintagejazz

The Sun really is a rag. Why does this sad and sordid little tale merit publication? It's not uplifting, it's not of any national importance and it in no way represents the general experience of offering accommodation to Ukrainian refugees.

It seems to have been published with the sole purpose of provoking anti Ukrainian feeling amongst those of little intelligence.

Completely agree with you, Vintagejazz!

Sparklefizz Mon 23-May-22 16:46:04

Terrific post mumofmadboys. Why was the father able to come as well? I thought all men of fighting age had to stay in Ukraine.

Regarding a different approach to parenting, you say your children are adults, but I think this is another snag when families with young children are hosting another family. It can be difficult with 2 sets of young children in the same house being brought up in different ways.

hilz Mon 23-May-22 16:47:10

Taking hospitality to the extreme!
Seriously though,what in the world are they thinking. Even if it this couple had problems and may have split, boundaries on many levels were crossed here..Beggars belief that a relationship flourishes to the point that they are 'in love' in such a very short time given the circumstances and the need to share it with us in the wider world via the press I think tells its own sad tale.

Janetashbolt Mon 23-May-22 17:12:27

I wonder if he knew her before because I read online that he had pushed for a Ukrainian refugee to take in.

Katie59 Mon 23-May-22 17:21:59

I’m sure they werent “in love”, infatuated probably, she was vulnerable, and grateful, no doubt was smiling a lot - as you would with in the circumstances.

It’s a relationship that probably won’t last beyond getting a UK passport. Refugees need a roof over their heads and a way to earn a living, they do not need parachuting into an existing family group. Work in the UK will have been the dream many could not attain before the war.

mumofmadboys Mon 23-May-22 17:23:19

Sparklefizz -Dad was working in Poland as a baker before the war started as better pay. Struggling financially in Ukraine prior to this. When war started they as a couple decided he wouldn't go back but mum and the kids would join him in Poland. Poland are now recruiting an army and they decided best to get out.

Joseanne Mon 23-May-22 17:27:11

The teenage boy in the family I know will soon turn 18, so they had to get out as quickly as possible or he would have been recruited.

Sparklefizz Mon 23-May-22 17:30:15

mumofmadboys

Sparklefizz -Dad was working in Poland as a baker before the war started as better pay. Struggling financially in Ukraine prior to this. When war started they as a couple decided he wouldn't go back but mum and the kids would join him in Poland. Poland are now recruiting an army and they decided best to get out.

Thanks for responding. I was just curious, that's all. They are lucky to be together and to have found wonderful hosts in you and your family.

tincao Mon 23-May-22 17:52:29

I wonder if this is another of those disgusting fake news to vilify women and, in this case, Ukrainian refugees.
There is a vicious war going on, you cannot believe all you read.

jaylucy Mon 23-May-22 20:04:57

I think this man had been looking for a way out of his relationship way before he met her!
I have seen it happen several times with both men and women being the ones to leave.
Rarely does the second relationship last long as it is often a means to an end and a good excuse to shift the blame from the one leaving a relationship, to the one they left with!

Kimi64 Tue 24-May-22 10:16:33

Showing his true colours ,she's well rid.His partner deserves so much better .