Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you drive?

(207 Posts)
halfpint1 Sat 21-May-22 21:44:03

67 and yes I drive but not at night if I can avoid it. I recently visited England but let my daughter drive, I suddenly felt unable to cope with changing to the other side of the road and put it down to the fact that I haven't visited for 3years because of COVID and I 've lost my confidence

Shandy57 Sat 21-May-22 21:41:12

I think women started learning to drive when they had to go out to work, rather than staying at home to look after the children. I was born in '57 and my Mum got the bus to work, but my Dad collected her in the car in the evening.

lixy Sat 21-May-22 21:33:58

Yes, I drive and I love it, though I prefer it when DH is not a passenger!
I try not to drive in the dark much nowadays though as I find headlights troublesome.
My mum didn't learn to drive until my dad was too ill to do so, and many of her friends didn't drive at all - but travelling by bus/train was easier and cheaper then.

Shinamae Sat 21-May-22 21:32:58

I am 69 and have never ever wanted to learn to drive..

Georgesgran Sat 21-May-22 21:31:24

Depends what age group you’re looking at? My friends and I - between 67 and 75 all drive, as does every woman on the small development (22 houses) where I live. My DDs couldn’t wait to learn but a friend’s DD and now her DGD weren’t bothered about driving, even though she offered to pay for lessons, etc

MaizieD Sat 21-May-22 21:29:45

It was certainly common in my parents' generation for the wife not to drive, but I really thought we'd got past that now.

Yes, I drive. I don't actually know any woman of my age who doesn't, apart from those who have a medical condition which prevents them from driving.

Jaxjacky Sat 21-May-22 21:22:54

I’m surprised by how many women don’t drive, it does tend to be women and wondered if there was a common reason for not driving.