Gransnet forums

Chat

Johnny Depp / Amber Heard Defamation Trial

(95 Posts)
PinkCosmos Mon 23-May-22 09:15:02

Is anyone watching this?

Do you think Amber Heard is telling the truth about being abused by Johnny Depp or is she the abuser?

Obviously there are two sides to every story but I am inclined to be Team Johnny. He doesn't come across as a violent man, more a man who was frustrated at being baited and who then took his anger out on inanimate objects.

Amber Heard comes across as a manipulator. Why would she be recording all of the conversations anyway.

I could go on but just wonder what the Gransnetters thought.

GagaJo Thu 02-Jun-22 11:21:22

I think the really sad thing about this is, there will be women among the number supporting him, who will suffer from DV themselves at some point in life. And they may struggle to be believed, because we live in a society, still, that supports men.

DV is far more pervasive than we realise.

Galaxy Thu 02-Jun-22 11:23:14

I think it's also worth remembering that you can be an unpleasant imperfect person and still experience domestic violence.

Casdon Thu 02-Jun-22 11:31:00

GagaJo

I think the really sad thing about this is, there will be women among the number supporting him, who will suffer from DV themselves at some point in life. And they may struggle to be believed, because we live in a society, still, that supports men.

DV is far more pervasive than we realise.

In this relationship there was clearly domestic abuse on both sides. I understand your point, but the evidence presented did show her to be more violent, more frequently and making things up that hadn’t happened. I find it difficult to reconcile what the appropriate punishment is, other than to sentence them both for domestic violence against the other.

MayBee70 Thu 02-Jun-22 11:31:20

I think that those of us that have loved the iconic screen characters that he has played don’t want to believe in this other side of him as it taints our memories of some of our favourite films. I do wonder if it affected the trial also. I think both of them have just been acting throughout but find it hard to believe that he wasn’t actually violent towards her. I feel very uneasy about this verdict.

HousePlantQueen Thu 02-Jun-22 11:32:01

I found the whole thing distasteful, they are obviously two people who bring out the worst in each other in what was a toxic relationship.

BlueBelle Thu 02-Jun-22 11:40:19

I haven’t any time for either of them for a man with so much money he looks dreadful
I haven’t watched any of it no time for celebrities and their acting antics it’s most likely 6 to one half a dozen to the other
I ve never loved an actor since I was about 12 I ve enjoyed seeing some play wonderful roles but love them… nah
A total waste of space just like the Rooney trial can’t waste my time on any of them

Mine Thu 02-Jun-22 11:49:21

Think they both physically and mentally abused each other.....Found the whole show in court like watching an American soap....So glad they didn't have children together...

GagaJo Thu 02-Jun-22 11:57:56

MayBee70

I think that those of us that have loved the iconic screen characters that he has played don’t want to believe in this other side of him as it taints our memories of some of our favourite films. I do wonder if it affected the trial also. I think both of them have just been acting throughout but find it hard to believe that he wasn’t actually violent towards her. I feel very uneasy about this verdict.

I agree. As someone else on here has said, unpleasant people can still suffer DV.

He has huge fame. And he has courted it to sway opinion. It was never a fair fight.

Anita Hill V Clarence Thomas
Christine Blasey Ford V Brett Kavanaugh

Woody Allen
Sean Penn
Roman Polanski
Alfred Hitchcock

It just goes on and on. And women defend these men.

crazyH Thu 02-Jun-22 11:59:34

She lies, lies, lies. Who on earth says , a ‘pledge’ is the same as a ‘donation’ ?

lemsip Thu 02-Jun-22 12:08:27

if a marriage is that bad you get away from it *not stay and physically fight so that you can record and sue!

lemsip Thu 02-Jun-22 12:11:17

he is an attractive looking man aside from horrible moustache and tied back hair, both of which are for his film roles of course!

VANECAM Thu 02-Jun-22 12:12:38

It really is a struggle to accept that an alcoholic, drug taking male could be on the receiving end of DV.

It really is so easy to fall in line and believe a woman when she says (not least testifies) that her alcoholic drug taking male partner/ husband has committed DV

The jury overcame that struggle and that urge to fall in line.

Well done jury.

Galaxy Thu 02-Jun-22 12:13:12

I am not sure what his attractiveness or non attractiveness has to do with anything.

Pepper59 Thu 02-Jun-22 12:17:46

There were no winners in this case.

downnotout Thu 02-Jun-22 12:21:33

"O what a circus, o what a show" They are both as bad as each other. Quite excruciating to watch but couldn't stop watching it!!

BlueSky Thu 02-Jun-22 12:23:17

Sadly there are also male or same sex victims of domestic abuse, which even as a minority, it’s hardly acknowledged. As we know it’s not just physical violence, my former husband never hit me but the damage he did was immense. And sadly we can’t always leave when we would like to.

GagaJo Thu 02-Jun-22 12:25:46

Pepper59

There were no winners in this case.

Oh I think there were. He has won. He will get his contracts back. And he's safer than before from allegations from other women. Who would dare trying to take him on now, regardless of what he does?

Delila Thu 02-Jun-22 12:47:13

Yuk all round.

Mollygo Thu 02-Jun-22 12:53:33

I have no idea.
Id never heard of Amber Heard, so great publicity for her.
It could well be a publicity stunt-but if it is, it does no service to anyone who is subject to domestic abuse, whether male or female. I wasn’t there, so I don’t know and I can’t pass judgement.

Casdon Thu 02-Jun-22 13:04:10

GagaJo

MayBee70

I agree. As someone else on here has said, unpleasant people can still suffer DV.

He has huge fame. And he has courted it to sway opinion. It was never a fair fight.

Anita Hill V Clarence Thomas
Christine Blasey Ford V Brett Kavanaugh

Woody Allen
Sean Penn
Roman Polanski
Alfred Hitchcock

It just goes on and on. And women defend these men.

Do you recognise that she was also guilty of domestic abuse GagaJo? I’m not defending him, however she is also culpable. I’d like to know how you view that?

Rosalyn69 Thu 02-Jun-22 13:07:01

I think this was a 6 and two 3s situation.

VioletSky Thu 02-Jun-22 13:14:57

I watched very closely

My take is that the relationship was toxic.

I think Depp could be controling and abusive fueled by substances but there is evidence she was unfaithful.

I think Amber was the more abusive one, mentally and physically and triggered him with behaviour like his mum.

When he was trying to be sober she drank and did drugs in front of him.

All his exes say he was not abusive.

The audio recordings of her winding him up and him trying to leave, she sounded demented.

All the things she said that evidence show are lies, especially the edited photos.

Her demeaner in this trial versus her demeanor in the last where she was haughty and sarcastic.

The fact that I have never met an abuse sirvivor who could easily maintain eyecontact while recounting it, let alone with a jury.

The fact that she was recorded telling him to tell the world she was abusive because no one would believe him and then she, got in there first so to speak.

Recordings of her admitting to physical abuse.

Lots of things I cant remember this second.... I think the result was the correct one.

However what terrifies me is the damage this will now do to women.

What i hope is that reallistically, we should believe abuse survivors, male and female in future

Its just awful because abusers often paint themselves as the real victim. Seen that first hand.

GagaJo Thu 02-Jun-22 13:27:30

How do you disentangle someone retaliating? When my ex was violent, a few times, I pushed him or threw something at him. I never initiated and this behaviour hasn't manifested in any other relationship. Suggesting women can't fight back is akin to telling them not to fight back when they're being raped.

I also think most of what we have read has been filtered through a woman hating media. I've read pro-Amber reports that refute a lot of what has been held up as 'evidence' against her. But you'd never see that stuff in the mainstream media. It doesn't fit the dominant narrative.

VioletSky Thu 02-Jun-22 13:29:52

I havent really read anything, ive had the trial on live while cooking etc on Sky

spottybook Thu 02-Jun-22 13:43:21

Vile man. We were on the Eastern and Oriental Express at the same time they were on their honeymoon. I was standing in the observation car at the back when he and his bodyguard nudged me out of the way so he could smoke his vile cheroots. I had no idea who he was until someone told me!