Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal Mail Parcel Collect is the title - yet it is for letters too

(149 Posts)
StarDreamer Mon 23-May-22 10:46:23

A thread with two purposes.

One purpose is to raise awareness that the service exists,

The other purpose is to ask of user experiences.

Royal Mail has a service called Parcel Collect.

To me the web page is a bit confusing, as Collect and Send seem to be two different things.

I am not sure, but I think it might be that Collect is if the posrage is already on the item, either by stamps one has bought or a reply paid label.

Send seems to be the way to start from zero.

It seems to be built in to the Send option that one then buys two items in the one checkout basket, namely the postage fee and the collection fee.

So on this web page

send.royalmail.com/?collect

to start from zero one needs first to click on the black filled rectangle that has Send an item in white letters on it so as to get to the correct dialogue panel.

Clicking through one gets offered a choice of five types of item

Letter

Large Letter

Small Parcel

Medium Parcel

Tube

If one wants a letter, then one finds three options offered immmediately, none of which is ordinary first class post.

However, ordinary first class post is available, but initially hidden, though clicking on Show 2 more services displays it as an option.

I have not used this yet, but I have found out about it in case I need to send a letter somewhere when a telephone call or an email are not enough to do what is necessary.

Originally, the service needed one to print the label oneself from a file sent once one has booked, but that has now changed and there is an option for the postperson to bring the label at no extra cost.

I saw something somewhere implying one is handed the label and affixes it oneself, but that does not seem to be absolute as the postperson will pick up from a "safe place" if one is not at home, but only one item on each occcasion in that situation, so that would need the postperson to affix the label.

Presumably that extends to being at home yet wanting a social distance pickup.

There are various preset options for "safe place" and also an "Other" option which has a text box which seems to accept up to 50 letters and spaces.

One pays at the time of booking by a credit card or debit card and is sent an email confirming the arrangement.

Elizabeth27 Mon 23-May-22 11:08:35

I had to return an item and this method was booked by the company. It was convenient for me, the label was provided by the postman, and I was given an hour slot that the parcel would be picked up in.

Kate1949 Mon 23-May-22 11:12:13

I used this service to send Christmas presents last year. It worked a treat.

MawtheMerrier Mon 23-May-22 11:16:29

I’ve used this for 18 months and I’m not confused.

NotSpaghetti Mon 23-May-22 11:16:56

Thanks everyone, good to know.
May also be useful for those who are stuck at home with disabilities too.

MawtheMerrier Mon 23-May-22 11:19:50

Or in a village like me some miles from a Post. Office - the extra 72p or whatever to have it collected is less than I would spend on petrol and possibly parking! I just leave it at the front door - the house is set far enough back from the road and the front door is not visible - and Paul my friendly postie just picks it up.

NotSpaghetti Mon 23-May-22 11:24:47

Yes, exactly Maw, great idea

FannyCornforth Mon 23-May-22 11:27:16

I arranged collection of DH’s driving license.
They didn’t have the printed returns label that I requested (my printer is an ex-printer).
The postman (who I have previous with) assured me that he’d sort it out.
The driving license was lost.
But I blame the postman entirely; not the service.
He is a rather foolish man

FannyCornforth Mon 23-May-22 11:28:06

PS I didn’t just ‘request’ the label; I also paid for it

FannyCornforth Mon 23-May-22 11:33:00

NotSpaghetti

Thanks everyone, good to know.
May also be useful for those who are stuck at home with disabilities too.

Yes, that’s why I used it.
I knew at the time I shouldn’t have entrusted the useless postie with the driving license.
I knew as soon as I shut the front door that I had done the wrong thing!

OakDryad Mon 23-May-22 11:42:04

It says on the Royal Mail site:

If you are opting to use the Bring My label service, your postie can only bring one pre-printed postage label if the collection is from your Safeplace.

That would imply that he or she will attach the label but this service only extents to one collection item - which is probably to avoid the potential for the wrong labels being put on the wrong items if multiple unlabelled items are left in the Safeplace.

At the bottom of this page:

www.royalmail.com/collection

StarDreamer Mon 23-May-22 12:23:05

Yes.

The web page does not seem to actually explicitly cover a I am at home yet as I am socially isolating I would like the postperson to affix the label as if I am out please situation, or a I am at home but can the postperson knock the door and we do a social distance passing of the parcel and the postperson affix the label please as there is no outside safeplace for me to place it situation.

I suppose that whether that is impossible or pleased to help may depend upon the temperament of the particulsr postperson.

MawtheMerrier Mon 23-May-22 12:33:30

Why are you still socially distancing?

FannyCornforth Mon 23-May-22 12:35:58

Not distancing Maw - isolating!

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 23-May-22 12:39:53

Dear me. How can a simple service (which I have used) be made to sound so complex? And yes, why on earth would you not hand your parcel over on the doorstep like any normal person does?

Zonne Mon 23-May-22 12:40:45

The post person wouldn’t care (or even know) if you were home. Just identify a safe place and leave the item there as if you were out.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 23-May-22 12:46:55

We’ve had some collections, both package and letters and all has been fine.
Other days the item hasn’t come up on the Postman’s hand held device and the item has had to be left behind to be collected another day.
It got so annoying that now we don’t bother.

StarDreamer Mon 23-May-22 12:48:12

MawtheMerrier

Why are you still socially distancing?

Because the COVID-19 situation is at level 3.

I consider that there is no need to take an unnecessary risk of catching COVID-19 or flu or colds or whatever when the precautionary measure is no great problem to do.

StarDreamer Mon 23-May-22 12:53:49

Please stand by for fireworks!

OakDryad Mon 23-May-22 13:00:50

You are asked to nominate or describe your collection SafePlace during the order process. The postman or woman will bring the prepaid label, go to the SafePlace, attach the label to the item and take it away. No need to be at home or have any contact. Temperament is irrelevant. Royal Mail is proving a professional service.

MawtheMerrier Mon 23-May-22 13:01:59

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 23-May-22 13:04:14

Have you been vaccinated yet?

StarDreamer Mon 23-May-22 13:08:25

OakDryad

You are asked to nominate or describe your collection SafePlace during the order process. The postman or woman will bring the prepaid label, go to the SafePlace, attach the label to the item and take it away. No need to be at home or have any contact. Temperament is irrelevant. Royal Mail is proving a professional service.

Yes.

I was just considering if the person is at home, self-isolating, but, as at many houses, there is no safe place to leave a parcel that is accessible from the front garden, if indeed there is any front garden at all or just a very minimal one about four feet long.

That seems a not unlikely scenario at many homes across the country.

ixion Mon 23-May-22 13:16:11

In that case, you could interact with them via an upstairs window, like you used to do with the Tesco delivery.
Assuming you are in.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 23-May-22 13:28:11

Throwing a parcel out of an upstairs window may be inadvisable …