Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal Mail Parcel Collect is the title - yet it is for letters too

(150 Posts)
StarDreamer Mon 23-May-22 10:46:23

A thread with two purposes.

One purpose is to raise awareness that the service exists,

The other purpose is to ask of user experiences.

Royal Mail has a service called Parcel Collect.

To me the web page is a bit confusing, as Collect and Send seem to be two different things.

I am not sure, but I think it might be that Collect is if the posrage is already on the item, either by stamps one has bought or a reply paid label.

Send seems to be the way to start from zero.

It seems to be built in to the Send option that one then buys two items in the one checkout basket, namely the postage fee and the collection fee.

So on this web page

send.royalmail.com/?collect

to start from zero one needs first to click on the black filled rectangle that has Send an item in white letters on it so as to get to the correct dialogue panel.

Clicking through one gets offered a choice of five types of item

Letter

Large Letter

Small Parcel

Medium Parcel

Tube

If one wants a letter, then one finds three options offered immmediately, none of which is ordinary first class post.

However, ordinary first class post is available, but initially hidden, though clicking on Show 2 more services displays it as an option.

I have not used this yet, but I have found out about it in case I need to send a letter somewhere when a telephone call or an email are not enough to do what is necessary.

Originally, the service needed one to print the label oneself from a file sent once one has booked, but that has now changed and there is an option for the postperson to bring the label at no extra cost.

I saw something somewhere implying one is handed the label and affixes it oneself, but that does not seem to be absolute as the postperson will pick up from a "safe place" if one is not at home, but only one item on each occcasion in that situation, so that would need the postperson to affix the label.

Presumably that extends to being at home yet wanting a social distance pickup.

There are various preset options for "safe place" and also an "Other" option which has a text box which seems to accept up to 50 letters and spaces.

One pays at the time of booking by a credit card or debit card and is sent an email confirming the arrangement.

StarDreamer Thu 26-May-22 09:26:31

The labels are 6 inches by 4 inches, so fine for a DL envelope.

MawtheMerrier Wed 25-May-22 20:05:46

“The Postman Always Rings Twice” ?

www.imdb.com/title/tt0082934/

Well that boat has sailed already.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 25-May-22 19:35:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

StarDreamer Wed 25-May-22 19:06:25

Who knows. Some people might have user experiences they would like to mention.

MawtheMerrier Wed 25-May-22 18:53:47

So this thread can continue on-topic

Is there really much (anything) more to say? confusedconfused

StarDreamer Wed 25-May-22 18:20:00

I am reliably informed that moving posts in that way is not possible.

StarDreamer Wed 25-May-22 18:02:08

I have now started a thread for the posts that are off-topic to the title of this thread so that discussion may continue on-topic there and perhaps reach a wider audience too.

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1310873-Feeling-strange-in-a-supermarket-aisle-and-related-matters

It would be good if GNHQ were able to move the off-topic posts from this thread into that thread please, while keeping their sequence nd timestamps, but I don't know if that is possible.

So this thread can continue on-topic.

MawtheMerrier Wed 25-May-22 17:46:43

If someone goes to a doctor and is trying to describe to the doctor the feeling that overwhelmed them in the supermarket aisle, how is that conveyed?
In words

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 25-May-22 17:41:01

If you tried your sounds on the doctor he wouldn't have a clue what you meant.

StarDreamer Wed 25-May-22 17:39:08

MawtheMerrier wrote Onomatopoeia is the formation of a word from a sound associated with what is named (e.g. cuckoo, sizzle ).

Yes, but alhough part of the language now, some devised before any of us were born, they are just ways of conveying a meaning in language, not an actual precise representation if the original sound. At one time they were new to the way people expressed concepts.

If someone goes to a doctor and is trying to describe to the doctor the feeling that overwhelmed them in the supermarket aisle, how is that conveyed?

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 25-May-22 17:34:52

The relevance of that rather escapes me. 'Flogging a dead horse' is a well-known saying, not to be taken literally. I doubt any of us would flog a horse, dead or alive.

StarDreamer Wed 25-May-22 17:31:33

I don't mistreat animals.

I respect their lives.

MawtheMerrier Wed 25-May-22 17:29:43

Well, it is only like if somebody tastes something and says it tasted ugh
Whereas some people say Urgh. Some Eurgh. And some simply ???????

StarDreamer Wed 25-May-22 17:27:31

Well, it is only like if somebody tastes something and says it tasted ugh.

It is trying to express a feeling using language. The three syllables sort of conveying a feeling of becoming disorientated but not actually being in motion.

FannyCornforth Wed 25-May-22 17:22:54

Oh no! Don’t say the horse thing Maw!

MawtheMerrier Wed 25-May-22 17:15:38

Onomatopoeia is the formation of a word from a sound associated with what is named (e.g. cuckoo, sizzle ).
Your personal transcription of a feeling is yours alone as the feeling is unique to you, so only you can replicate what it sounds like to you.
And that’s not even allowing for regional dialect or accent.

So really just nitpicking - possibly an attempt to resuscitate a dying thread? But even dead horses eventually get a rest from being flogged.

Anyway, this was supposed to be about Royal Mail Click and Drop or Collect.
Time to draw a line.

StarDreamer Wed 25-May-22 17:12:04

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax7J7HOP8II

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 25-May-22 17:09:57

Not a gemstone, that's for sure. Nor is it a 'really innovative idea'. I don't think this particular one will progress beyond the ether. And I would strongly suggest you don't say it out loud within anyone's hearing.

StarDreamer Wed 25-May-22 17:05:23

Hi ixion

I had just written a reply to you mentioning that maximum envelope size is stated, but not a minimum size, and thanking you for the suggestion about contacting them.

Alas, it got lost.

Anyway, thank you for replying and thank you for your suggestion.

ixion wrote I think StarDreamer that, on this occasion, You can NOT be serious.Yes?

Actually I was being serious. I tried saying both out loud and the version by MawtheMerrier sounded like a clinical term for reporting what the patient experienced, but my version with the -owm- in the middle syllable is what is experienced at the time. Sort of whereas onomatopoeia is for sounds heard, yet this is for feelings felt.

I know that really innovative ideas are often ridiculed by many - laugh at the geek - and sometimes what the geek outputs is rubble but sometimes it is a gemstone.

So, rubble or gemstone? It could just be rubbish, rejected, yet it could possibly resonate with some people and be a regular word in a few years time. If progress means me being ridiculed then c'est la vie.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 25-May-22 16:54:05

Yes, please explain what these peculiar sounds mean. I can't call them 'words' because they're not. I have never heard a conscious person, possessed of their faculties, uttering such strange sounds.

ixion Wed 25-May-22 16:44:20

StarDreamer

MawtheMerrier

yee-ohm-uh confusedconfused
I've tried saying it out loud and am still none the wiser.
Please explain OP

I hope you don't mind me mentioning it, yet actually it is yee-owm-uh, which sounds quite different from what you put.

I think StarDreamer that, on this occasion, You can NOT be serious.
Yes?

MawtheMerrier Wed 25-May-22 16:31:42

StarDreamer

MawtheMerrier

Please explain OP

I hope you don't mind me mentioning it, yet actually it is yee-owm-uh, which sounds quite different from what you put.

Now that is just being silly.
Yowma/yohma/yooma/yamma - it’s all gobbledegook.

ixion Wed 25-May-22 16:08:54

You could write the recipient's name and address in as small size as is practicable, aligning it as close to the left edge of your envelope as possible.
This would give your Post Person the best chance to affix the label. They may be obliged to wrap the label round the said envelope. After all, they can hardly refuse to handle it, can they?

Does the Click and Drop page have any indication of envelope size restrictions?
Have you tried their 'Contact us' option?

StarDreamer Wed 25-May-22 16:02:18

Hi MawtheMerrier Do you want to start the new thread or would you rather I, or someone else, does?

StarDreamer Wed 25-May-22 15:56:29

MawtheMerrier

Please explain OP