Gransnet forums

Chat

Not being looked in the eye when talking with someone

(170 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

StarDreamer Thu 26-May-22 15:18:41

Just wondering.

If you are talking with someone and the person is not looking you in the eye, do you tend to infer anything about the person as a result of that, and if so, what, and why please?

Namsnanny Thu 26-May-22 17:03:32

So long as they (male) dont look and talk to my t*ts I'm generally ok.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 26-May-22 17:05:08

Forgive me if I've missed something, but what did the OU experiment have to do with looking people in the eye?
Needing to smile shouldn't be something one has to be taught.

rafichagran Thu 26-May-22 17:09:25

Agree it is cultural

Namsnanny Thu 26-May-22 17:10:52

Namsnanny

So long as they (male) dont look and talk to my t*ts I'm generally ok.

But on the other hand maybe I should be grateful at my age....

StarDreamer Thu 26-May-22 17:12:34

I have wondered if a taller person looks taller to a person than the person looks shorter to the taller person.

The reason being that one looks with the eyes at the total height of the person.

So the angle downwards of the view by the taller person is much less than the angle upwards of the view by the shorter person.

welbeck Thu 26-May-22 17:15:19

i don't understand that.
OP do you have autism, is that why you're asking.

ixion Thu 26-May-22 17:17:14

Whatever the reason behind these questions of perception, StarDreamer, I should take on board namsnanny's advice at 17.03 in any engagement with a lady you meet.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 26-May-22 17:20:56

My father was very tall. He was also partially, and eventually totally, blind. He looked people in the eye, as best he could when he could no longer see them. It is nothing to do with being tall. The fact that you don't look people in the eye and that you think smiling needs to be taught, leads me to conclude that you have autism SD. As I have long suspected.

Redhead56 Thu 26-May-22 17:21:51

I used to think it was shifty but there are conditions now that were not discussed years ago. I would ask someone to take their sunglasses off when talking to me when I was younger don’t ask me why.

welbeck Thu 26-May-22 17:25:22

wow. that sounds rather cheeky.
you would actually ask people to take their sunglasses off to talk to you !?
how did they react ?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 26-May-22 17:28:30

You can usually see something of a person's eyes behind sunglasses unless they are the mirror kind. I hate those, they make me feel very uncomfortable.

StarDreamer Thu 26-May-22 17:29:11

Callistemon21

Some people have nystagmus.

It's not good to be judgemental and best not to infer anything at all.

Indeed, but we cannot prevent people infering things about us.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzn_AKN67oI

Redhead56 Thu 26-May-22 17:30:50

It was the job I was in people never argued with me?

ixion Thu 26-May-22 17:34:56

StarDreamer

Callistemon21

Matthew 7:1

Chestnut Thu 26-May-22 17:37:32

Looking direct at a person while they're talking is easier, then sometimes I look away when talking myself because I'm thinking and it's easier to think when you haven't got someone staring at you. Depends who it is of course.

Callistemon21 Thu 26-May-22 17:41:11

ixion

StarDreamer

Callistemon21

Matthew 7:1

Very apt, ixion

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 26-May-22 17:45:44

Who is (or should I say 'are') 'us', SD? Do you suffer from nystagmus? If so how does that your ability to smile at someone with whom you're having a conversation, which generally comes naturally in appropriate circumstances? Or are you saying that you have autism? I don't understand.

StarDreamer Thu 26-May-22 17:52:33

welbeck

i don't understand that.
OP do you have autism, is that why you're asking.

I have wondered.

I had always thought of autism as being what is now regarded as just one extreme of the spectrum, so it had never occured to me that I could be, but learning more about autism I began to wonder as some things seemed to fit, as if explaining things that seemed peculiar. But other things did not seem to fit at all, as I do tend to be very empathic and concerned, particularly towards animals and very careful and conscienscious about road safety and courtesy to other drivers when I was driving.

I am aware of the danger of reaching incorrect conclusions by the process of reasoning that is based upon the fallacy of the undistributed middle. Alas, many people do reach conclusions by applying that fallacy but do not realise they are doing it.

MissAdventure Thu 26-May-22 17:55:46

A lot of people aren't diagnosed with autism until later life; assuming they decide to go for a formal diagnosis, that is.

Some say that it then explains some of their behaviours, and validates them in some way.

ixion Thu 26-May-22 17:58:18

Seek a professional diagnosis- expert advice, not conjecture.
Please.

BlueBelle Thu 26-May-22 17:59:08

Doesn’t matter does it GSM the question was just a question and provided some interest

Bubbe Thu 26-May-22 18:25:33

I have to look at people's mouths as I need to lip-read.

Baggs Thu 26-May-22 18:29:49

Redhead56

I used to think it was shifty but there are conditions now that were not discussed years ago. I would ask someone to take their sunglasses off when talking to me when I was younger don’t ask me why.

I now have self-tinting specs which I wear all the time. Apologies in advance but taking them off every time I talk to someone on a sunny day would be tiresome in the extreme, though I'd understand why someone might want me to.

Still... living in Scotland, the times when my specs'd be so dark that someone couldn't see my eyes would be few and far between! But even mild shading makes a huge eye comfort difference to me.

Baggs Thu 26-May-22 18:31:45

Bubbe

I have to look at people's mouths as I need to lip-read.

Yes. Though my deaf niece seems to be able to look at a whole face! She has what some might find an alarmingly alert face but I guess that's how she manages.

Shelflife Thu 26-May-22 18:38:20

I don't judge, lots of reasons why people avoid eye contact. If I speak to someone who is unable to make or maintain eye contact it does' nt bother me. I carry on chatting and smiling.