Gransnet forums

Chat

Not being looked in the eye when talking with someone

(170 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

StarDreamer Thu 26-May-22 15:18:41

Just wondering.

If you are talking with someone and the person is not looking you in the eye, do you tend to infer anything about the person as a result of that, and if so, what, and why please?

OakDryad Sun 29-May-22 14:32:17

Well, I was going to write something that I believe is of practical relevance in the context of hospital care and staff-patient eye contact. It relates to something that was discussed here recently to do with hospital planning for Patient Equality, Diversity and Inclusion but I think I'll leave it as I can see where this thread is heading.

I don't think that discussing personal relationships with other members is appropriate, especially in their absence. A line has definitely been crossed.

StarDreamer Sun 29-May-22 14:45:18

> I don't think that discussing personal relationships with other members is appropriate, especially in their absence. A line has definitely been crossed.

Yes, you are right.

I was challenged as to my motivation and I tried to explain.

The lady posted earlier in the thread and may post later. If the lady herself would prefer that I don't help her, then I won't, but in fairness, in another thread the lady has thanked me for offering to help her. So the decision is for the lady, not for others, whatever their opinion of me.

As the lady is of working age, I am clearly much older than her and more or less housebound in practice, needing assisted transport to go anywhere.

OakDryad Sun 29-May-22 15:29:16

I do not know in what context you have helped her or in what context she has protected you but it is clearly a private matter and should not be discussed in an open forum. I suggest you ask the moderators to remove all posts where you name and discuss her and exercise more discretion in future. This is a supportive forum for the most part but people help one another without needing to draw attention to themselves for having done so.

I do not see the relevance of age or mobility in this matter but nor do I wish you to explain.

StarDreamer Sun 29-May-22 15:58:38

It has all been in threads in the forum.

I was challemged as to my motivation, so I answered.

You or anybody else can report posts to GNHQ.

I know it is being made to look bad for me, but that is the very thing that the lady acted to protect me from.

If you read the thread, earlier today I posted to try to be kind and supportive to the lady. This was challenged and my motivation questioned.

You have chosen to publish a comment suggesting how I should behave. Therefore, I am entitled to reply.

You have available the facility to report to GNHQ if you consider me to be a man in the wrong by daring to be kind and supportive to a lady who had protected him from similar smearing in 2021.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 29-May-22 16:46:20

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MawtheMerrier Sun 29-May-22 16:51:50

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 29-May-22 17:03:26

MawtheMerrier Sun 29-May-22 17:08:08

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 29-May-22 17:21:02

I remember seeing the threads, but wasn't remotely interested. One of them in particular certainly looked boring in the extreme. Having been made to study French to A level was sufficiently off-putting - I only speak the language if I have to, certainly not for fun.

MawtheMerrier Sun 29-May-22 17:24:01

Oh go on, go on, go on!

You won’t be disappointed!

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 29-May-22 18:08:48

I will be more than disappointed. I gave those threads a very wide berth after having to study French - and Spanish - to A level, along with three other much more preferable subjects. I would gladly never speak either of them again, let alone join a thread speaking them for 'fun'. No way!

OakDryad Sun 29-May-22 18:15:53

Mentioning other people by name not once but repeatedly, throwing them into a limelight they may not wish to have shone on them, particularly in the context of this thread, does not strike me as kind or supportive behaviour.

Perhaps the member concerned will come along later and say that she doesn’t mind you speculating about her because, make no mistake, that is what you have been doing, suggesting you know how she feels and you know what goes on. I would regard it as presumptious and intrusive. You are not talking to her, you are talking about her and there is a difference.

StarDreamer Sun 29-May-22 18:43:16

You are not talking to her, you are talking about her and there is a difference.

I refer you to my post timestamped Sun 29-May-22 09:13:23
that is on page 6 of this thread. That does not align with your claim.

Then some women started on at me, questioning my motivation.

If this were a female-only forum I would not be here, I respect female-only spaces.

Some posters in some of the threads in these forums use the word "men" when in the context that they use it, it would be fairer to say "some men".

StarDreamer Sun 29-May-22 18:51:40

> ... make no mistake, that is what you have been doing, suggesting you know how she feels ...

I have checked back.

Where exactly are you claiming that I suggested I know how she feels?

OakDryad Sun 29-May-22 18:59:40

StarDreamer Sun 29-May-22 19:02:37

You made claims.

You have not quoted anything I wrote that supports those claims.

Be fair.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 29-May-22 19:13:57

VioletSky Sun 29-May-22 19:21:47

What is happening?!?

MichaelGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 30-May-22 12:34:00

Hi all. We've removed a number of posts from this thread that break our guidelines. Hopefully things can get back on track now.
As ever, if you have any concerns about a post or poster please hit the report button to let us know.