Gransnet forums

Chat

Handbags - what's your style?

(127 Posts)
Shandy57 Thu 26-May-22 23:13:18

Hello, I seem to have become very attached to a certain style of crossbody bag, and they've stopped making it. The one I like is called Machida by Kipling, it has a pocket on the front which I use for dog biscuits, and a pocket on the back I use for bird seed - I've a few 'tame' birds on my dog walk route.

Do you have a favourite style of hand bag?

Flo122 Tue 27-Sep-22 12:49:27

I have a collection of leather satchels in different colours. Love that they hold such a lot

Jess20 Tue 27-Sep-22 12:32:49

Backpack. Bright colour so I can always identify it.

SparklyGrandma Tue 27-Sep-22 12:17:10

Cross body is my preferred bag style. At the moment my bag is a soft green leather Seasalt bag.

A factor for me in choosing a bag, is that it be light weight wise because I’ve got a herniated disc.

NotANana Tue 27-Sep-22 12:01:32

I’m currently using a fabric Healthy Back Bag. Lots of pockets, very organised.
My DH would say that I have too many bags and I think he may be right…sssshhh!
Most of them are black leather in a variety of styles but I do have a Mulberry Pasadena in a tan/light brown leather.

dustyangel Tue 27-Sep-22 11:54:08

I’ve just bought a new Healthy Back Bag. There are what they say, different sizes, colours and materials but all planned to keep your spine as comfortable as possible and prevent back pain. My old one is still in good condition and perfectly usable but the only thing it isn’t proof against is the very strong Portuguese sun. I thought it was only a bit faded until I saw them against each other.

I’ve got a couple of the much smaller bagglets as well. I can still fit a surprising amount in them but I can concentrate more easily on my stick if I have to use it.

MeowWow Tue 27-Sep-22 11:54:01

I like medium sized crossbody and shoulder bags and they must be leather. I’ve recently purchased a lovely leather crossbody phone purse which is ideal for when I’m shopping and don’t want a bulky bag. It holds my phone, tissues, coin purse with the cards I think I’m going use, small hand sanitizer and hand cream. There’s a small zipped pocket on the back where I place all the receipts.

mrsgreenfingers56 Tue 27-Sep-22 11:52:02

Treated myself to a lovely Radley bag after my chemo and I get lots of comments on how nice it is. Does have two handles and sometimes think a strap would be good as well.

pen50 Tue 27-Sep-22 11:48:44

Apparently Kipling bags no longer have the key holding strap thingy. Bah!

libra10 Tue 27-Sep-22 11:20:57

I love my Radley bag, it's compact size, the leather is so soft and smooth. It has several outer and inner pockets, which help to keep everything organised.

giulia Mon 26-Sep-22 16:20:02

Purpledaffodil

Has anyone ever washed a fabric Kipling bag? Mine is looking grubby but it’s so useful as a summer bag I don’t want to wreck it.

Yes! They wash beautifully in the machine and look good as new afterwards. I've had one on the go for at least ten years. 30degree wash.

posset Mon 26-Sep-22 14:08:52

Recently bought a Kipling cross body bag which converts into a bum bag - I think it is the most useful thing I've acquired in this millennium!

Fleurpepper Mon 26-Sep-22 10:26:48

Fleurpepper

I have an antique one from my grandmother's - crocodile with silk lining in perfect condition. Must get it valued.

Do any of you know where it would be good to ask for valuation?

Blinko Mon 26-Sep-22 10:24:25

Thanks thanks for the washing tip. I have a Kipling lilac bag which has become grubby so there's the solution.

Lona Mon 26-Sep-22 09:43:59

I've got a much loved Kipling shoulder bag which goes in the washing machine every year.
This thread has made me buy another one, in black for winter. These two will see me out! grin

Purpledaffodil Mon 26-Sep-22 06:53:36

Thanks so much Coolgran. That’s another job sorted for today.?

Coolgran65 Mon 26-Sep-22 01:51:31

purpledaffodil most of my bags are fabric Kipling and have washed very successfully.

harrigran Mon 26-Sep-22 00:38:08

If I want a bag the price is not important, what harri wants harri gets.

Purpledaffodil Sun 25-Sep-22 21:09:30

Has anyone ever washed a fabric Kipling bag? Mine is looking grubby but it’s so useful as a summer bag I don’t want to wreck it.

Fleurpepper Sun 25-Sep-22 20:57:26

I have an antique one from my grandmother's - crocodile with silk lining in perfect condition. Must get it valued.

Harris27 Sun 25-Sep-22 20:49:12

Handbag queen have them all in different colours pretty much an obsession. All radley and handbags not crossbody just go to favourite handbags.

tanith Sun 25-Sep-22 20:42:21

Rarely carry a bag then it’s more like a purse on a crossbody strap. Cards a little cash my phone fits in its back pocket.. It’s leather cost a lot but I’ve used it for a long time and I’ve not bought another bag since.

Lucca Sun 25-Sep-22 17:36:15

DillytheGardener

Cross body usually, Kate Spade or Coach. My every day Coach is very frayed and on it’s last legs, but I can’t bear to decommission it.

Kate spade !!! £400 I couldn’t.

Serendipity22 Sun 25-Sep-22 17:28:40

Fleurpepper

It would not be fair to ask here on GN- but I wonder how much per bag members are prepared to pay for a hand-bag?

Not a lot I can tell you....... £12 tops.....

Considered I have a colour to match every outfit, cheap is the word..... hahahaha.

Parsley3 Sun 25-Sep-22 15:35:41

barkingbags.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjw-L-ZBhB4EiwA76YzOW5904tvKQR_nksHA6vPUVBXGeARc3sBWb4CvLF9LMoFiOxFzh-2TBoCAV4QAvD_BwE

This is the dog walkers bag I saw on Dragons Den. I don't have a dog but it does look handy.

Fleurpepper Sun 25-Sep-22 15:30:52

It would not be fair to ask here on GN- but I wonder how much per bag members are prepared to pay for a hand-bag?