Gransnet forums

Chat

Handbags - what's your style?

(127 Posts)
Shandy57 Thu 26-May-22 23:13:18

Hello, I seem to have become very attached to a certain style of crossbody bag, and they've stopped making it. The one I like is called Machida by Kipling, it has a pocket on the front which I use for dog biscuits, and a pocket on the back I use for bird seed - I've a few 'tame' birds on my dog walk route.

Do you have a favourite style of hand bag?

Gabrielle56 Wed 28-Sep-22 09:02:07

Well it depends on what I'm doing and where I'm going? I have Radley quite roomy cross body, lambskin short handled boat shaped hobby for shopping, various coloured leather long straps always worn cross body for security, and a great little zipped one with a detachable wrist strap that's a great version of a bum bag I suppose? It clips onto a belt or jeans loop and swings at the hip! It a tiny 6x9" so fits tissues /bank card in inner bit and a small foldup shopper!! It's great for touristy trips safe and hands free.then leather backpack worn either front or back

TiggyW Wed 28-Sep-22 00:59:09

Definitely Kipling bags or cheaper copies. I often buy them used on eBay. They’re washable and have so many useful pockets! I prefer crossbody or rucksack bags nowadays as I have back problems, so I avoid shoulder bags.

Daftbag1 Tue 27-Sep-22 21:21:20

I use two crutches, a Zimmer frame or wheelchair so use a small bag with a long handle that I can cross over my body.

LynW Tue 27-Sep-22 19:41:37

Not really a handbag person. But I bought a Nicky James bag for a friend’s birthday and liked it so much I treated myself to one (then later, another in a different size.) Crossover bags small and larger with two zipped pockets on the outside and one inside - plus a few other designs. Made of a sort of coated material in beautiful patterned colourways - definitely lightweight and roomy. When they update their designs they often reduce the older designs - still good quality and still beautiful. My niece liked mine so much I bought her one for her birthday- think they suit all ages.

Murphy52 Tue 27-Sep-22 17:36:30

All kinds, velvet, fringed,Biba, Radley, Chanel, and I have a vintage Bally quilted leather from a charity shop,

nexus63 Tue 27-Sep-22 17:33:01

i have never had a designer handbag, i have one black bag that i got for a funeral, i use it for weddings or anything else, the rest of the time i use a small backpack. i only ever wear black shoes if i need to and the rest of the time it is trainers due to foot problems.

Bijou Tue 27-Sep-22 17:24:10

Cannot remember when I last had a handbag. When we were in Spain in the town I kept my purse etc in a plastic supermarket bag because thieves on motor bikes would cut the straps of handbags and be away in a flash. A Dutch friend had a bag round her waist in the front. As she reached up to get something of a high shelf, a thief cut the strap and was away with it.

pascal30 Tue 27-Sep-22 17:17:08

large, light, zippered slouch bag which takes everything including Uniqlo down jacket... so useful with our unpredictable weather

InTheCove Tue 27-Sep-22 17:00:33

Michael Kors large Fulton Crossbody bag. It has an integrated wallet and a pocket in the back for my phone that I can grab quickly. They no longer make this bag so I am regularly looking for NWT or like new on eBay and other sites.

Musicgirl Tue 27-Sep-22 16:56:18

I love handbags as does my mother. I like crossbody ones and those you have on your forearm. My favourite brands are Radley and Ness. The Ness handbags are tartan. As with good shoes, a smart handbag can really brighten up an outfit.

GrammarGrandma Tue 27-Sep-22 15:54:57

I buy my handbags in Florence or Venice (one Cortona). Must have a shoulder strap and be capacious. Colours vary

Camelotclub Tue 27-Sep-22 15:35:03

There's one on ebay.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284672005147?hash=item4247c6141b:g:QT0AAOSwNhFiGr1h&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoOkIYuNAmJyL4lFpBx9MuJ1jdB2mrqjMhqKxiHmwx%2B%2BFRf5nYTQsQgifOi83JN6IcnyEO2Jqvzh%2B3I5Z%2BsGg9YwsvHiNERPtpf1M0ijIuwzLO%2B%2BuCaKDrUxsdh%2BGVOg%2BOqUKRBJXFVAsiMdTtLCdbf7mqH%2Fhq%2FlHIoR2eD9rWjg8JLQgn%2FpMd0fBoV%2F2Wvu2Tw25p%2FNcwWjD2Bz9ax%2BccKo%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9rB8fXvYA

I use a cheap Kipling copy when I go for a walk. Lots of pockets. Cost about a tenner!

giulia Tue 27-Sep-22 15:31:33

pen50

Apparently Kipling bags no longer have the key holding strap thingy. Bah!

What a shame! That's what's so special - and useful - about them, apart from all the pockets.

singingnutty Tue 27-Sep-22 15:29:48

I have a few good bags but tend to use the ones I buy from a local woman who makes them in all sorts of patterned and hard wearing cotton fabrics. They have an adjustable strap so can be worn crossbody. Each bag is unique and they can be put in the wash. They are strong but light. When travelling I use a bumbag for phone, money, tickets etc. so I have hands free to deal with suitcase and small rucksack.

leeds22 Tue 27-Sep-22 15:28:04

I have a selection of Bridge leather bags, bought on ebay but the only one I use is a tiny crossbody one that contains my phone and slim card holder. Time to get some sold I guess.

Milest0ne Tue 27-Sep-22 15:09:57

The reference to " Kipling" made me smile. On a visit to China several years ago, we went to a market to buy a bag. The logo on it was. "Kipling". The stall holder said. " Exceedingly good bag" We couldn't explain why we were laughing.
I have a rucksack type bag with the central zip enclosed by the bag being folded by the straps. The bag can not be opened without taking the bag off.

Saggi Tue 27-Sep-22 15:03:39

Backpack…. I don’t drive so am always walking ….so need an umbrella in there AND sunglasses this bring England..and you never know from one moment to next what coming at you…..and it’s big enough for a book or mini I-pad …. (babysitting duties)

grannybuy Tue 27-Sep-22 14:37:49

Spirit crossover bag. I’ve used these for years, and know exactly where everything is in them. They are like Kipling, but cheaper. Check the website or Amazon

Theoddbird Tue 27-Sep-22 14:19:10

Love vintage Accessorise. Have several...all bought preloved on Ebay.

Dempie55 Tue 27-Sep-22 14:13:59

Crossbody triple zipped bag by Lorenz. I usually buy them from Lambland.co.uk who do a whole range of useful bags. I like it because it's made in a water -resistant fabric, so it doesn't matter if it gets rained on. You can adjust the strap so it's just right for your height. There are three pockets, which is ideal for me. I keep travel card in one, phone, purse and keys in another, and emergency stuff (sweeties and nail file, etc) in the third. Under £20, there are lots of nice colours, though I think it's out of stock at the moment.

Alioop Tue 27-Sep-22 13:59:19

My cross body bag that can hold my phone, purse and glasses. I have it in three colours and two spares just in case they stop making them. My wardrobe is full of bags that I get as presents and I still use my old faithful.

NannaFirework Tue 27-Sep-22 13:45:34

I used to have far too many bags, but now I have Mulberry bags because I couldn’t afford them when I was younger - I’m 62 soon…I just love them. I also adore tkmaxx handbags and got a white, cross body, large bag from there for Summer.
I don’t have many expensive items so the bags are my luxury treats, bought when I have paid my tax bill each year (last few years).
Any bag needs a long strap, an outer pocket, inside pockets and a zip fastening in my humble opinion!

Helenlouise3 Tue 27-Sep-22 13:33:43

I love bags of all types. It just depends where I'm going and what I'm wearing as to what type wear. A cheap rucksack to go to work, just holds my lunch, purse phone etc. A cross body bag or a tote bag for trips to town and a grab or clutch for evenings out. for travelling I have a fabulous coral Mia Tui bag which is designed with loads of pockets and it fits over the handles of a suitcase. I have a Kipling bag which I rarely use for some reason.

Glenfinnan Tue 27-Sep-22 13:26:41

Oh I have so many handbags!!! I need to do a serious cull! Handbags are like shoes… no matter how much weight you put on they still fit!!

missdeke Tue 27-Sep-22 13:02:10

I gave up on crossbodies as they were uncomfortable with my urostomy pouch. I find a backpack style is best as the weight is well distributed and as I use a walking stick I still have a free hand.