Gransnet forums

Chat

Reinstating triple lock inflationary?

(53 Posts)
Nannina Tue 21-Jun-22 23:26:35

Journalists, including seem to be questioning reinstatement of the pension triple lock. The potential 10% increase to pensions in April 2023 is being compared to the call for public sector workers to exercise pay restraint to curb inflation. In fairness the government are, for the moment, sticking to their pledge but is this an attempt to pit workers against pensioners and an argument for a government u turn?

biglouis Fri 24-Jun-22 00:01:30

Pensioners often do not have the capacity to increase their income, if you're working, you may well have opportunities to move to a better paid job

This is a fact that many people miss. While some pensioners are still "active" many are not and have to rely absolutely upon the state pension. Younger people of working age can get up off their backsides and work a second or third job to increase their income. Or they can improve their qualifications and look for a better job.

Coco51 Fri 24-Jun-22 09:15:52

StarDreamer

Coco51

10% of a state pension £9627. -£962.78
The minimum wage increase is 6.6% - £1074

The cash increase is slyly hidden when storms about pensioners being better off is misleading and unethical journalism

Not disputing what you say, but the person on minimum wage will probably, unless perhaps if working very few hours each week, have to pay a National Insurance contribution but the person on State Pension will not.

But does anybody actually get that amount of State Pension?

I may be wrong but when the new rules came in, with higher contributions, the then figure (probably now increased to the one you mention) would only be paid after 35 years of contribution at the new higher National Insurnce payment.

If I remember correctly, a person would get a pension at the higher rate for the number of the years, n, of paying in at the new rate combined with a pension at the lower rate for the up to (35-n) years of having paid in at the old lower rate.

So nobody actually getting the notional new pension until someone retiring around 2050 gets it.

But I might have got that wrong, but I seem to remember someone asking about that when the new higher pension rate was being presented somewhat ambiguously.

I think you are right, Star Dreamer - neither I nor partner are getting the quoted am9unt.