Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone else come across this in Sainsbury’s?

(47 Posts)
Mollygo Thu 23-Jun-22 14:10:44

This morning I picked up something where the shelf label said £8 reduced to £7.
I scanned it on my SmartShop app and it said £8. I asked the man in the self service checkout what to do and he said, “ It will charge you £8 now but you will get a barcode with a refund on your nectar card by tomorrow.”
I told him I would put it back instead and removed the item from my SmartShop list.
He then offered to put the item through and reduce the cost to £7 immediately, which I accepted.
Should the prices on the shelf be what you are expected to pay, never mind a refund on your nectar card the following day?

Rameses Thu 23-Jun-22 14:18:51

Coincidentally, I bought a bottle of quite an expensive medicated shampoo in my local Sainsbury's only yesterday.

The shelf price was £8.00 and (at the d.i.y. till) it came up at £9.00. I went to the customer service desk and a member of staff was asked to check the price on the shelf. Sure enough, it was £8.00. He apologised and then refunded me £1.50 in cash, which was 50p more than the original over-charge!

Elizabeth27 Thu 23-Jun-22 14:30:39

I bought cough medicine yesterday in B&M the price on the shelf said £1.69, noticed on the receipt when I got home was charged £3.59.

NotSpaghetti Thu 23-Jun-22 14:31:08

I find the way Sainsbury's does refunds for online orders annoying too.
They give you a voucher off your next shop.
Totally wrong in my opinion but I'm sick of contacting people to complain as they never care.
I don't use them anymore.

Kim19 Thu 23-Jun-22 14:31:33

I recently had a price discrepancy in Tesco. The assistant who dealt with me asked what price I had expected the item to be and then charged me accordingly.

Camelotclub Sun 26-Jun-22 11:15:22

I saw a nice T shirt in Sainsburys yesterday. The two T shirts in smaller sizes were half price at £3 and the one I wanted was larger and £6, full price. I asked a passing JS lady and she didn't know anything so I put it back! I just think they've become really sloppy about pricing and store tidiness generally. Some of the shelves were a shambles. Shortage of staff perhaps.

Secretsquirrel1 Sun 26-Jun-22 11:22:21

Camelotclub

I saw a nice T shirt in Sainsburys yesterday. The two T shirts in smaller sizes were half price at £3 and the one I wanted was larger and £6, full price. I asked a passing JS lady and she didn't know anything so I put it back! I just think they've become really sloppy about pricing and store tidiness generally. Some of the shelves were a shambles. Shortage of staff perhaps.

I know from when I worked in department stores and ladies boutiques , that quite often the tiny sizes are reduced and the bigger more average / bigger lady sizes aren’t.
They know they’ll prob have more chance to sell the larger ones without reducing, so that might have not been an error on their part tbh. Very annoying. Happens with shoes and boots too and lingerie. X

25Avalon Sun 26-Jun-22 11:22:28

No it does not have to be. You do not have a contract until the price is rung through the till and you have paid. Instead of paying when you are given a total you can legally say I’m going to pay £10 less. Practically the supermarket will say no and you either pay or leave empty handed. This is something I learnt as a buyer doing contractual law.

DianaLouise Sun 26-Jun-22 11:32:45

another thing to be aware of in Sainsburys is when they offer you a few items weekly at a reduced price via smart shop if the price in the store is raised you will not get the reduction. I had an offer of strawberries priced at £2,00 with a reduction of 50p but as the store was now charging £2,25 I did not pay the price of £1.50 but £2.25 so they went back on shelf!

MissAdventure Sun 26-Jun-22 11:45:04

It sounds as if this is all deliberate and underhand.
At a time when people need to know very clearly how much things are, and decide if they still want to buy them.
Very sneaky!

bevisp1 Sun 26-Jun-22 11:48:14

It seems to happen a lot, and as for some staff in shops they are really not bothered, where’s customer service gone. I was in boots yesterday at the clinique counter. I asked staff about a query if they still stocked a certain something anymore, she turned to me & said “it’s all gone self service now, you take the product to a counter & can try some out”, after explaining for the 2nd time I was just querying about something, she just replied “I don’t usually mane this counter, someone else will be back later”, you don’t get the same service anymore, & she agreed with me!

RosiB Sun 26-Jun-22 11:50:07

Recently I’ve found Sainsbury’s pricing is all over the place. Smart shop offers can say the original price of £3 is reduced to £2 but the shelf price is £2.50. The scanner still charges £3 but I’m never sure if the vouchers are correct.

MissAdventure Sun 26-Jun-22 11:53:40

Sainsburys has never been my favourite place to shop, but it's the easiest to get to on the bus (or was)

Fronkydonky Sun 26-Jun-22 11:57:50

Boots have got rid of lots of the concession staff because my cousin’s wife lost her job from a premium brand of cosmetics about a year ago. Just one person is supposed to know everything about all of the skincare& make up brands. It’s awful. Nobody seems to care any longer about stellar customer service. It’s no wonder folk buy skincare and make up goods online. I haven’t stepped into Sainsbury’s since before first lockdown and because I’ve a compromised immune system my husband does the grocery shopping. He chooses to go to Aldi where there are no frills and much lower prices. I haven’t needed any new purchases of make up for over a year as I’m on long term sick so don’t go anywhere to wear it. No doubt if I ran out of foundation I’d have to buy online as my local Boots doesn’t sell my favoured brand.

parky642 Sun 26-Jun-22 12:13:44

i was shopping in Sainsburys for presents for my granddaughter and found a lovely little bag. But at the till it came up as "unrecognised" so the supervisor took it away and said i couldn't have it. Gutted!

Mokeswife Sun 26-Jun-22 12:23:11

I had a smilar problem in Lidl - middle isle purchase marked up as £4.99 but charged £14.99 check out staff questioning which price I should be paying - you can imagine my response!!!

MissAdventure Sun 26-Jun-22 12:26:40

The middle of lidl aisle of doom.
I can never work out what price is for which item.

Rosina Sun 26-Jun-22 13:07:34

I do find Boots one of the worst companies for getting prices wrong; the 'three for two' offers regularly come up as 'three for three' when I get them to the till. The staff are always helpful and have said that they are told to put the offer tickets on the shelf, but the till information hasn't been updated to show the offer. If I was overly busy or dealing with a couple of toddlers I might get home before I noticed - and who wants to trawl back to the shops for a refund?

tickingbird Sun 26-Jun-22 13:20:32

Sainsburys are the worst and M&S is getting poor too. In the case of Sainsburys I think it’s sharp practise and have told them so on a few occasions. I no longer shop there because I don’t want the hassle of having to be vigilant over shelf price versus actual price.

LovelyLady Sun 26-Jun-22 13:52:02

I refuse to return to a shop that has intentionally robbed me.
We had a local shop years ago who did this to the children - they’d short weigh and charge more.

DeeDe Sun 26-Jun-22 13:55:16

I stopped using Sainsburys for the similar reason
You have to check with all the stores really
It mostly seems the gain on their side too ?

Chino Sun 26-Jun-22 14:27:38

I now buy a lot of makeup from Allbeauty- good makes at reduced prices - there is no longer anywhere in my town to but premium cosmetics

Ellet Sun 26-Jun-22 14:33:56

I shop mainly in Aldi but as Sainsburys is very close will go there for extras. I have always found them to be really helpful and don’t think I’ve ever been diddled.
The best experience I have had recently though was whilst on a visit to Ross-on-Wye. Popped into Superdrug and immediately staff asked if there was anything they could help with? We had a question about a product and the lovely young man went out of his way to help. So pleasant, cheerful and helpful.

kentmaid Sun 26-Jun-22 15:21:55

25Avalon

No it does not have to be. You do not have a contract until the price is rung through the till and you have paid. Instead of paying when you are given a total you can legally say I’m going to pay £10 less. Practically the supermarket will say no and you either pay or leave empty handed. This is something I learnt as a buyer doing contractual law.

Yes, I learnt this back in the 1960s when I was studying contract law. The case was always quoted as “The Boots Cash Chemist case.”
Nearly 60 years on those cases still live in my memory - Cahill and the Carbolic Smoke Ball Company. Any other contract law students remember that one?
And the lady who sued a tram company after she witnessed an accident - not part of it, only a witness. She’d probably be called a Karen now.

BooHoo Sun 26-Jun-22 15:25:01

I did a shop online with Morrisons
Through Amazon prime looking through drinks came across 24 x 500 ml x 7up lime/soda £1.35 which I thought bargain ! So I ordered 4 pkts
Total £5.40 paid for all my items to
Be delivered next day Order was delivered.
When I’m checking through didn’t give it a thought till came across 4 BOTTLES of 7up ! Knew it was a mistake on there part but that is exactly
How it was advertised showing the pkt 23 with 1 bottle in front 500 ml 7up
I assumed if that’s how it was advertised it should be honoured??
I got in touch with Amazon and told them exactly that and I would be taking the matter further not sure what it’s called misleading advertising? Fraudulent ?? Whatever they after a lot of time explaining they would deal with it and for me not to then he wanted to refund £5.40 which I didn’t want and told him exactly that.
I wanted what I’d bought not what I received gave it a few days then got back to Amazon obviously not the same customer service representative
So explained AGAIN put on hold for *** then was passed to about 2/3 different representatives in end was told sorry but you have been refunded
The total amount so we can’t do anything more for you ! Is there anything else we can help you with !
WHAT !! Is what happened ok ?surely not !
I’m not stupid like I said it was a mistake,misprint but made by them how
often does one come across a deal like that ! let’s face it these are major stores traders they have more money than I .
Should they be allowed to just basically
Say
Hard luck sucker !
or should they honour what was a mistake made by Morrisons whom Amazon prime use for their online
grocery shop + anyone ?
I’ve not made a comment about anything I’ve read on gransnet before so when I press go not sure where this is going to end up ! Or how I find it
again do you think maybe I am stupid ?