Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone else come across this in Sainsbury’s?

(48 Posts)
Mollygo Thu 23-Jun-22 14:10:44

This morning I picked up something where the shelf label said £8 reduced to £7.
I scanned it on my SmartShop app and it said £8. I asked the man in the self service checkout what to do and he said, “ It will charge you £8 now but you will get a barcode with a refund on your nectar card by tomorrow.”
I told him I would put it back instead and removed the item from my SmartShop list.
He then offered to put the item through and reduce the cost to £7 immediately, which I accepted.
Should the prices on the shelf be what you are expected to pay, never mind a refund on your nectar card the following day?

GraceQuirrel Sun 26-Jun-22 15:39:30

By law the price displayed on the shelf is the price you pay. I used to work in Waitrose and would always refund the difference if our error.

NainDylan Sun 26-Jun-22 15:49:06

This is what my mother called 'sharp practice' and I think all supermarkets do it. I used to have trouble with my local Co-op and often had to argue at thecheckout and just gave up going there.
I find both Waitrose and Tesco are good if you go to Customer Services and query overpricing.

Albangirl14 Sun 26-Jun-22 15:55:12

I have had the same experience in Sainsburys and when corrected at customer services after a long wait there is never an apology. I check every recipt every time.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 26-Jun-22 16:30:18

Had something similar over a bottle of wine in Asda - one price on the shelf, higher price at checkout. As it was only a very small shop I was doing I noticed it and a helpful staff member said the price was a previous special offer but as the system hadn't been updated she sorted out me paying the lower displayed price. However, I suspect we've all been fiddled out of money where we are doing a big shop and don't have the opportunity to notice whether every item is going through at the displayed price. A despicable practice by supermarkets I think, especially in today's economic difficulties for so many of us.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 26-Jun-22 16:36:53

I agree that the price on the shelf should be the price charged at the till. However, when I do my weekly shop at Sainsbury's I usually have around 25 items or so, therefore I wouldn't notice the difference between each individual price on the receipt/shelf. I check for obvious mistakes such as duplications which happily are rare.

InnocentBystander Sun 26-Jun-22 16:40:57

NotSpaghetti

I find the way Sainsbury's does refunds for online orders annoying too.
They give you a voucher off your next shop.
Totally wrong in my opinion but I'm sick of contacting people to complain as they never care.
I don't use them anymore.

We have been using Click'n'Collect from Sainsbury's all through the lockdowns and occasionally since. Quite often we will buy a trio of items to make up a stir-fry (noodles, sauce, and Oriental vegetables) only to find one is unavailable. I hand the other two items back as no longer required, the Sainsbury's assistant scans its bar code and a refund is in my bank by the time I get home or very soon afterwards. More than once a bag of flour, for example, has been split, or an item far too short a date for our plans, and the operator has scanned it for a refund and handed it back to me because it would only go in the bin anyway. Can't fault that even though we don't like being at the mercy of the pickers who do not rummage for a good sell by date, nor scrutinise the fruit and vegetables for damage or rot. It's a compromise. We've never used home delivery though - that might be different vis a vis refunds.

Treelover Sun 26-Jun-22 16:45:34

it infuriates me. you challenge them...you have to wait forever whilst they check they then correct the amount. Which really isn't good enough. we should be compensated for time wasted and the error. And you are always made to feel bit of a twat waiting forever for a pound off. grrr. Waitrose are the only ones likely to give you the item free for your inconvenience.

Audi10 Sun 26-Jun-22 16:47:06

Not a fan of sainsburys

H1954 Sun 26-Jun-22 16:50:24

Supermarket management are so good at getting our money, either by incorrect pricing as described by the OP or by putting the premium goods right at eye level and the cheaper options lower on the shelves.

Having poor mobility I don't go shopping too often, I'm slow and in a great deal of pain so my OH generally goes alone. On the odd occasion that I do tag along I always have to point out the offers, often not clearly displayed, and the cheaper options on the lower shelves. OH is aghast, I darent think about how much we've been ripped off by in that last year!

Shop savvy GNetters! ?

Knittingnovice Sun 26-Jun-22 16:53:39

Not Sainsburys but I bought a carrier bag today and it split before I got home. Bought milk and it is slowly leaking. Had small cans in my backpack which came open and soaked my bag.

This is the past few days

JackyB Sun 26-Jun-22 17:41:34

We don't have Sainsbury's here in Germany of course, but after reading some previous comments here on GN I always check the till slip whilst still in the shop nowadays, whichever shop I'm in. Once I thought the total was pretty steep and on checking I noticed that I had been charged for 10 jars of face cream instead of just one! It wasn't an expensive cream ,only about €5.99, but being charged €59.90 was going a bit far. Even if I didn't still have the trolley with me, I think I could easily have been believed that I was hardly likely to buy 10 jars of face cream at the same time!

Shops are very quick to refund mistakes like that these days. I usually get it back in cash at the information desk.

MaggsMcG Sun 26-Jun-22 18:28:39

What you have to realise is that sometimes other customers move stuff around. So something may not be in the correct place. They usually go by the barcode. Having said that if the item is actually priced on the shelf and its the same item you can either take a photo of it or get a member of staff to check it out. My late husband loved doing that in Sainsburys. Sainsburys isn't the only Supermarket where this happens.

ElaineI Sun 26-Jun-22 18:32:32

Went to buy a plant at Dobbies and couldn't get it to go through the till. Eventually the assistant got someone from that department to come. Felt so daft - had picked up a plant in a pot (nice too) that belonged to another customer who had brought their own plant pot in and Dobbies had repotted it for them! Seems they do this! It was nice though and the assistant was in hysterics!

cc Sun 26-Jun-22 19:31:41

Chino

I now buy a lot of makeup from Allbeauty- good makes at reduced prices - there is no longer anywhere in my town to but premium cosmetics

I like Allbeauty too, and Lookfantastic. I used to buy my skincare from Boots but now my skin is older I buy slightly more expensive creams from one of these two. They always have offers on and I wait until my favourites are on offer and stock up. Often Boots sell the same brands but they're usually more expensive. Excellent loyalty card though!

cc Sun 26-Jun-22 19:38:22

I've avoided shopping in Sainsbury's for some years, they just don't care about customers. Sometimes they'll discontinue a product that I buy regularly and there is no way you can leave feedback about it with customer service.
I just find their stores d
dreary and uninspiring, they were often out of stock of goods I bought regularly.
Such a shame, I shopped there for years.

Rameses Sun 26-Jun-22 21:56:23

cc

I've avoided shopping in Sainsbury's for some years, they just don't care about customers. Sometimes they'll discontinue a product that I buy regularly and there is no way you can leave feedback about it with customer service.
dreary and uninspiring, they were often out of stock of goods I bought regularly.

I agree. It riles me too that they have taken over Argos. Argos used to be excellent and efficient. Since Sainsbury's took them over, it too has gone to pot.

Unigran4 Sun 26-Jun-22 23:00:27

I have shopped at Sainsburys in the past. I always compare prices (in any shop) by looking at the price per kilogram. Sainsburys, however, tag (say) the price of their different types of strawberries (British, imperfect, organic) one per kilogram, one per pound, and one per punnet, so comparison is impossible. This system applies to a number of items, not just strawberries.

I've brought it to their attention in store, I've contacted the store manager, I've written to the CEO all with no result. I brought it to the attention of a food programme who ran a piece on it and interviewed a Sainsburys executive about it, who promised to standardise pricing across all stores.

The result? Absolutely nothing has changed! I've given up and gone elsewhere.

Mollygo Sun 26-Jun-22 23:50:46

There are a few stores who do that. When I had the energy pre Covid, I used to weigh the packs on the kg scales at our local supermarket and put post-its on showing the standardised prices. I was not popular with staff, but such fun!

Riggie Mon 27-Jun-22 01:34:51

bevisp1

It seems to happen a lot, and as for some staff in shops they are really not bothered, where’s customer service gone. I was in boots yesterday at the clinique counter. I asked staff about a query if they still stocked a certain something anymore, she turned to me & said “it’s all gone self service now, you take the product to a counter & can try some out”, after explaining for the 2nd time I was just querying about something, she just replied “I don’t usually mane this counter, someone else will be back later”, you don’t get the same service anymore, & she agreed with me!

I just ought something rom Cminique at Boots and noticed the counter has disappeared (not tjat it was always manned). But the clinique salesperson was stocking the shelves. I wanted body lotion and there were only huge ones out - surprise surprise there were plenty of small size hidden in the drawers!!

Riggie Mon 27-Jun-22 01:42:19

cc

Actually saimsburys do have a system - they have customer cards at the customer service till and a box to out them in. At the store Injse they're sometimes out on the counter, other times you have to ask. I often fill one in!

Harmonypuss Mon 27-Jun-22 04:31:47

I regularly shop at Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury's and I always use the scan it yourself things. As I pick an item up off the shelf I look at the price, then I also look at the price it's scanned at. If there's a discrepancy, I will take a photo of the shelf price tag with my phone and will point it out to the staff member manning the self service tills when I upload my shopping. Providing them with the photo means they can see immediately that you're telling the truth, they don't need to send someone to check and can amend the till accordingly there and then.

I've been using Sainsbury's less and less over the past couple of years because Nectar points always used to be earned at a rate of 2 per £1 spent and you needed 500 to earn £2.50, but in recent years they've cut back on how many points they give you, now you only get 1 point per £1 spent but you still need 500 to get your £2.50.

I much prefer the Tesco and Asda loyalty schemes.

Piskey Mon 27-Jun-22 09:36:28

I had the same experience with Sainsburys earlier this year. Organic Prosecco reduced from £8 to £6-50. I bought 3 bottles and only noticed I’d been charged full price when I checked receipt at home. Local phone no answer phone tells you to go online (so you can no longer speak to someone in your local store). Strangely enough Sainsburys don’t appear to have a “I’ve been overcharged box”, Emailed them, no reply, sent letters (2), no reply, went back to store, told I had to claim refund from Head Office, customer service lady in store had actually tried to erase the bottles on the receipt , easy to rub your thumb over the ink - so no longer have proof, by now I’d spent more than the £4.50 overcharge on petrol and stamps. Will no longer shop there. Pass the buck, ignore you, don’t answer phones. I expect much better service than that. Shame on you Sainsburys. You SUCK