Gransnet forums

Chat

Two really stupid things I’ve done this week - am I doomed?

(45 Posts)
Witzend Fri 24-Jun-22 11:16:34

First was a lunch with 2 ex colleagues - arranged by me! - which I forgot, having somehow got it into my head that it was for the following week.
One of them phoned from the pub, so I made it anyway, only 50 minutes late…

Next, Gdcs’ school are having a bake sale after school today, so I said I’d take 2 dozen chocolate fairy cakes.
Started making them last night, evidently away with the fairies or else paying too much attention to kitchen TV - or both - because literally a minute after I’d put the mix in the oven, I realised that I’d put it in 2 sandwich tins, not 24 paper cake cases!

Too late, it had already gone hot and liquid.
Had to go and buy more eggs for a 2nd lot.

To be entirely fair, things have been a bit manic lately, but even so…

Spinnaker Sat 25-Jun-22 21:01:41

I made the same mistake too Witzend with the cakes. Popped two sandwich tins in to bake, Hubby walked in and said "thought you were making buns ?". I decided to do what Pigma suggested upthread and here's a sample of the end product. Have to say they were delicious and I managed to get 12 out of one tin grin

Chocolatelovinggran Sat 25-Jun-22 21:26:41

Nothing new to me.Many years ago, I went home on the bus, leaving my new baby outside the Co Op in his pram....

Witzend Sat 25-Jun-22 21:37:38

I left dd1, about 10 days old, in Boots, having completely forgotten that I had her.
Luckily it was only for about 10 minutes since I was meeting my mother, who had not forgotten that she had a new granddaughter.

Dd1 still finds it hilarious, 45 years later.

Witzend Sat 25-Jun-22 21:49:13

That was for Chocolatelovinggran

MawtheMerrier Sat 25-Jun-22 21:54:15

I had a headmaster once who went to some teachers conference in Birmingham.
On his return by train he rang his wife from the station to pick him up , “But dear,” she said “you took the car this morning”. ??

Allsorts Sat 25-Jun-22 21:54:37

I don’t feel so bad now?

Nannagarra Sat 25-Jun-22 21:56:15

Arrived home from maternity hospital with all the family, put on the kettle and realised the baby was missing. He was still in the car and, many years later, teases us about it.
Recently he picked up his young children (busily evading his attempts to gather them and their belongings), drove home and found he’d left his dog at our house.

MissAdventure Sat 25-Jun-22 22:33:56

A young man with a learning disability had been taken to his christmas 'do' by his parents, and they had picked up his friend to take her, too.
It was really snowy out when the parents went to pick him up.
Big piles of snow had built up at the road edges, and it was snowing heavily.

They dropped the friend home, and the easiest way was for their son to get out, and his friend to slide across and use the same door.

The friend got out of the car and went into her home, and the parents drove off, but they had left their son behind..
They didn't realise till they got home!

CleoPanda Sat 25-Jun-22 22:55:23

Thanks for all these stories - hilarious. ?

Bellanonna Sat 25-Jun-22 23:04:16

Allsorts

I don’t feel so bad now?

I’m with you there Allsorts. In fact I feel positively relieved!

nadateturbe Sat 25-Jun-22 23:13:08

I gave my sister a special present and 60th birthday card. It was her 60th last year.

nadateturbe Sat 25-Jun-22 23:16:36

Love these stories.
Maggiemaybe your voting story is hilarious.

Ali08 Sun 26-Jun-22 04:23:07

Gdcs? Someone explain this for me, please? My brain has frozen!

lemsip Sun 26-Jun-22 04:29:42

from google GDCS | God Cant Destroy Streetwear | Selfridges

Ali08 Sun 26-Jun-22 04:34:42

Witzend

I left dd1, about 10 days old, in Boots, having completely forgotten that I had her.
Luckily it was only for about 10 minutes since I was meeting my mother, who had not forgotten that she had a new granddaughter.

Dd1 still finds it hilarious, 45 years later.

ROFLMAO
Sorry, but that's hilarious!
Reminds me of a phone call in my teens.
Caller: "Ali, this is Kathy at the grocers. Where is your dog?"
Me, thinking what a strange question that was: "Erm, in the garden, I think."
Caller: "Could you check, please? I'll hold."
I went to the garden, checked front & back, no dog. Called for her, no dog came running. Asked family that were there, no one knew.
Back to phone, "Ok, Kathy. I give up. Where is my dog?"
It turned out, my dad and my dog had gone to our local shops and being such a good dog she had duly sat outside waiting. After being in the queue for awhile, my dad walked out totally forgetting the dog was waiting for him, and she must've been distracted at the time he passed her. Dad had gone to other shops and, lmao, even passed my dog again on the way home although he could've been on the other side of the road or nearer the far side of the pavement.
While my darling, obedient little pooch was sat outside the grocers patiently waiting for him....for 2 hours!!
I retrieved my dog and thanked the woman who called, and made sure to treat my dog while laughingly telling my dad off!
He never lived it down!!

Ali08 Sun 26-Jun-22 04:35:10

Thanks, Lemsip.

Ali08 Sun 26-Jun-22 04:36:16

Oops, I don't think that's it, tho. Lol

ginny Tue 28-Jun-22 22:41:09

Today we left home with our caravan. We are meeting friends and each take a meal to share for the first few days.
I made and froze a sausage casserole which was to defrost in the fridge.
Carefully measured the container so it would fit in the fridge. Arrived at campsite and , yes you guessed it, the casserole is still in the freezer at home!

Bellanonna Wed 29-Jun-22 11:24:29

lemsip

from google GDCS | God Cant Destroy Streetwear | Selfridges

Or is it just someone’s take on an abbreviation for grandchildren? (They’ve tagged an ‘s’ on the end to make it plural).