Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you ever done something once but never want to do it again?

(145 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 27-Jun-22 13:06:24

Helicopter ride for me. Wonderful views up over the bush in South Australia but I was very nervous. I once went sand surfing down a stonking great sandhill in New Zealand, ended up in a river. I screamed the whole way down, got a mouth full of sand but wouldn’t do it twice.

SunshineSally Mon 27-Jun-22 18:08:55

Tandem paragliding off Mount Babadag (Turkey). So glad I did it but wouldn’t do it again!

Blinko Mon 27-Jun-22 18:09:32

Pantglas2

A salon pedicure - I can’t stand someone touching my feet and didn’t know until then…?

Oh that's reminded me, DDiL bought me a salon pedicure for a birthday once. Aargh! Couldn't bear it! Never again.

varian Mon 27-Jun-22 18:14:25

Swimming in the Firth of Clyde during our Easter school holiday. I can still remember the icy grip of the cold cold water on the back of my neck.

I'm sure it would have been worse for any poor boys who were forced to swim there, with the icy grip on a different part of their anatomy.

SueDonim Mon 27-Jun-22 18:17:27

Holidayed in a camper van! It seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn’t. ?

halfpint1 Mon 27-Jun-22 18:20:10

Horse riding. Put me off for the next 40 years untill I was
persuaded to go Camel riding in Morocco . Not doing that
again either!

Marmight Mon 27-Jun-22 18:45:56

After a boozy lunch on a RN minesweeper in the middle of the Firth if Forth I was obliged to climb over the side, down a rope ladder swinging precariously from side to side while wearing oversized safety equipment, into a RIB in order to be taken to the safety of terra firma. How I did it I’ll never know, but I will never do it again ?

boheminan Mon 27-Jun-22 18:51:05

I visited a Heritage museum and attempted to go down a coal mine. I froze a little way in, so terrified, I had to be rescued by an assistant who half pushed/half carried me out. Never again.

Georgesgran Mon 27-Jun-22 18:54:39

It’s a toss up between visiting the catacombs in Tunisia or Space Mountain in Disneyland . Both never, ever again.

Gingster Mon 27-Jun-22 19:24:10

I climbed Sydney Harbour Bridge. So glad I did it but never again. I didn’t mind being up there - it was getting up there that was scary.

Jaxjacky Mon 27-Jun-22 19:24:54

Had my face made up for free years ago in a large department store, got home and washed it all off, no thanks.

Charleygirl5 Mon 27-Jun-22 19:29:05

I think marriage- never again.

NanKate Mon 27-Jun-22 19:29:38

Ice skating. Couldn’t get my balance and still can’t ?

Witzend Mon 27-Jun-22 20:54:15

Parasailing. I only did it because dds were calling me a wimp for not wanting to. 180 feet up and the rope kept jerking - I thought it was going to break and I’d be floating off to God knows where.
Never again!
One advantage of getting older, though - I will no longer do anything I know I’m going to hate, and I no longer give a rat’s arse about anyone calling me a wimp.
So there!

Iam64 Mon 27-Jun-22 21:00:30

Driving one of those huge mobile homes , then living in it - in Scotland. Never again. Too big for the roads, too small for comfort. .

SunshineSally Mon 27-Jun-22 21:42:35

Lol I’ve just remembered another one! In the mid 1980s (?jeez where did the years go!!), it was a trend for Olan Mills portraits. I got some glamour shots (no not that sort!), where I was all ‘dolled’ up with make-up (they did it) and I had permed shoulder length hair and they added a feather boa which was draped around my neck. I thought I looked the bees knees - and to be fair, the photos came out lovely. Well, I ‘swaggered’ back to the car where hubby was waiting (still thinking I looked ‘absolutely fabulous dahling’) and then looked in the mirror! The make up was put on with a trowel - there was a thick line of foundation - and I looked hideous in the light of day!! And to add insult to injury, although the photos are lovely, anyone who’s seen them do not recognise it as being me! I never did it again and the photos are buried in the loft somewhere ?

hollysteers Mon 27-Jun-22 21:43:32

Went to the top (outside) of the World Trade Centre and became frozen with fear at the height.
Obviously couldn’t do it again even if I wanted to…

25Avalon Mon 27-Jun-22 22:08:17

Going to the Scilly Isles for the first time on The Scillonian, a flat bottomed boat, that rocks side to side as well as up and down. The weather was terrible gales and lashing rain and I spent most of the time leaning over the rail being violently ill. Now I go by plane.

nadateturbe Mon 27-Jun-22 22:50:29

I've been inside the chamber at Newgrange. It took me quite a few minutes along the very narrow passage, breathing deeply to keep calm. Everyone inside clapped when I finally made it.
Never again!

nadateturbe Mon 27-Jun-22 22:53:16

boheminan

I visited a Heritage museum and attempted to go down a coal mine. I froze a little way in, so terrified, I had to be rescued by an assistant who half pushed/half carried me out. Never again.

I don't know how coal miners did it.

annodomini Mon 27-Jun-22 22:57:43

On a Ramblers' holiday in Austria, the group was taken down a salt mine. I began to feel dizzy and unsteady and was taken up to the surface. I had always been wary of caves and that was the last straw. I'll never go into a cave and most certainly avoid salt mines.

nanna8 Tue 28-Jun-22 09:19:16

Another one for me is eating kangaroo meat. Once only, tasted totally vile. Many like it but not me.

JdotJ Tue 28-Jun-22 11:37:31

Scuba Diving......never again!

Stella14 Tue 28-Jun-22 11:43:35

Kim19

Driving through Death Valley for me. I was a wreck by the end of it.

Why? What was it about it Kim? I love Death Valley. I’ve spent time there twice.

I can’t think of anything for me, but I plan to Zip Line and Paraglide in Cape Town next year when I’m 64, so I may have something then ?

Grantanow Tue 28-Jun-22 11:44:20

Yes. I voted Lib Dem to unseat the Tory MP in Guildford some years ago and then they went into coalition with the Tories under Clegg. Never again in any circumstances. They are untrustworthy.

dayvidg Tue 28-Jun-22 11:48:34

Wing walking. Although it's called that you're actually strapped to an A-frame on top of the plane - no walking involved. Although an interesting experience, don't think I'd bother again. (Still fancy trying fire-walking though)