Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you ever done something once but never want to do it again?

(145 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 27-Jun-22 13:06:24

Helicopter ride for me. Wonderful views up over the bush in South Australia but I was very nervous. I once went sand surfing down a stonking great sandhill in New Zealand, ended up in a river. I screamed the whole way down, got a mouth full of sand but wouldn’t do it twice.

lizzypopbottle Tue 28-Jun-22 16:28:57

Happysexagenarian I did that too! What a waste but I couldn't face walking along the street with all that gunk on my face. Mind you, no one would've recognised me! I would've walked straight past myself!

Tinky17 Tue 28-Jun-22 16:30:04

Horse riding! On a family holiday in Ireland years ago. DDs loved it but once was enough for me. Stupid really, but I just hadn't expected to feel so high up and out of control. Of course when you tense up, the bruising next day is worse; nobody else felt any ill effect at all!

Bellocchild Tue 28-Jun-22 16:31:23

Watching an American football match.

lizzypopbottle Tue 28-Jun-22 16:33:04

Just read Marmight's post. I once tried actual Marmite. Not tempted...

lixy Tue 28-Jun-22 16:35:57

I once let the hairdresser have her way and put 'products' on my hair, finishing off with a large flourish of hairspray.

Got home and DH, who didn't know where I had been and rarely notices anything, said 'You look like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards!'
He cuts my hair now!

LadyGracie Tue 28-Jun-22 16:36:10

I went down a salt mine in Austria, horrific experience, never again.

sazz1 Tue 28-Jun-22 16:37:12

Cable car ride at a holiday camp, roller coaster at theme park, driving up the Trudos mountains in Cyprus, sleeping on an air bed in a tent. I'm a caravan person I guess and I don't like heights

BlueSapphire Tue 28-Jun-22 16:37:56

Going on holiday with friends - never again. Just did not work out.

Blondiescot Tue 28-Jun-22 16:38:45

Camelotclub

A gastroscopy without sedation. Horrible!

Oh dear god, yes! Horrendous experience! I've also had a sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy without sedation and while not exactly pleasant, they were a breeze compared to the gastroscopy!

Yiayia4 Tue 28-Jun-22 16:38:47

Skiing a black run one and only time.

BlueSapphire Tue 28-Jun-22 16:41:37

LadyGracie, must be the same salt mine I went down, I was terrified on the slide thing, never again.

Storytopper69 Tue 28-Jun-22 17:15:53

Scuba diving on holiday in Crete. I usually swim with my head above the water and hate even being splashed so I was proud that I managed to snorkel in the morning and go for a short dive with all the equipment in the afternoon and see all the fish. Won't do it again though.

A roller coaster ride - thankfully one that didn't go upside down. I thought I was going on a ghost train.

White water rafting. The river was low and not particularly scary but I was with my students from college on an outward bound course and it was apparently traditional to throw lecturers in the water. The icy water felt like a steel band round my ribs and I had to be dragged out by one of the rafting instructors. Never again.

Grandma70s Tue 28-Jun-22 17:30:39

On the whole I just don’t do scary things, but then I remembered the very steep high steps at Saxstead Green windmill in Suffolk. I took one look and said “I’m not going up there”, but I did. I survived, but never again. I don’t know what possessed me.

TillyTrotter Tue 28-Jun-22 17:53:45

Going on the London Eye. I couldn’t enjoy the views as I just don’t have a head for heights. I shut my eyes most of the time.

Alioop Tue 28-Jun-22 19:41:39

A ride on a ferris wheel in the dark, sitting at the top of it with the wind rocking it about.

kevincharley Tue 28-Jun-22 19:48:29

fiorentina51

Kevincharley
I have no idea what possessed me to agree to it. My husband was the driver and he had to reverse round a bend near a passing place to allow some vehicles to pass. I had to get out whilst he did it.
Going through the Southern Alps on South Island New Zealand was another hair raising ride. Arthur's Pass and the aptly named Death Corner. ?

fiorentna51 Arthur's Pass was ok but The Firgotten World Highway on North Island was a different kettle of fish! Mainly unpaved and right near the top half the road had caved in and all they'd done was put a few cones and hazard tape up. Typical New Zealand, so casual about safety!

nexus63 Tue 28-Jun-22 19:57:41

showground rides, i hate them, was going to try the big wheel but decided against it, stupid thing is i don't have a problem with heights, my other one just started when i had to wear a mask during covid, for weeks everytime i put a mask on i got so stressed that i had an epileptic seizure...stems back to nasty dentist and the black gas mask.

Minerva Tue 28-Jun-22 20:06:28

I was persuaded to get on to the bare back of the village elephant when we were taken by a Thai friend to a Karen village in the forest on the Thai/Myanmar border 50+ years ago. The homes were wooden huts on stilts and I clambered on to the back of her head from the raised floor level. I remember that she was surprisingly bristly and had the longest eyelashes but it felt like being on top of a swaying slide and I was truly terrified.

Wibblywobbly Tue 28-Jun-22 20:23:49

For me it was a helicopter ride over Toronto. I’m glad I did it but I definitely don’t feel the need to go on a helicopter ever again.

kevincharley Tue 28-Jun-22 20:28:37

Forgotten!
The photos online don't do it justice.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 28-Jun-22 22:04:51

MawtheMerrier

The Black Hole (or some such) at Alton Towers!

Oh hell yes, me too!

HannahLoisLuke Tue 28-Jun-22 22:26:17

The double cable car up to Corcovado in Rio. We really wanted to see the statue of Christ the Redeemer but the only way was to take two cable cars. One up to Sugar Loaf mountain, and then another up to Corcovado. Both over the sea in a glass bottomed car. I had my eyes tight shut and my husband was telling me to look, look at the view. Then he was saying that the metal cables carrying the car looked rusty! I felt sick with terror. The statue was beautiful, mesmerising but all I could think of was the journey back.

NemoNanna Tue 28-Jun-22 22:37:08

Agreeing with so many on here. Ice skating, roller skating, Space Mountain, water flume at Center parcs (nearly drowned) and a helicopter ride over Franz Joseph Glacier in NZ, there was a fatal crash the week after we did it.

hollysteers Tue 28-Jun-22 23:56:01

Blondiescot agree re gastroscopy (felt like swallowing the Titanic) and that was with sedation.
Patient before me elected for no sedation and the procedure could not be completed…

SparklyGrandma Wed 29-Jun-22 03:34:19

Travelling back from Barbados, on a DanAir 747 - or DanDare as it’s nickname was. Sitting right by a set of doors, from which there was a forceful draft and screaming windiness. Overheard Cabin Crew say to another; ‘I reported that door eight weeks ago and it’s still not been fixed - I won’t sit near it’

Gulp. A camel ride on holiday in Lanzarote. Horribly funny and closely followed by a large g&t.

Pot holing - never.