Gransnet forums

Chat

New items of clothing ! Do you wash before wearing?

(135 Posts)
Audi10 Mon 27-Jun-22 15:15:32

I always wash underwear yes, but I can honestly say I do not wash anything else! Maybe I’m a mucky pup!

Marmight Wed 29-Jun-22 04:41:45

No. I’ve survived for over 70 years without washing newly bought clothes although I always wash new bedding and towels to soften them up. I also washed DH’s new shirts as the collars were stiff and scratchy.

Whiff Wed 29-Jun-22 05:33:39

I always wash everything clothing,bedding,towels and tea towels before using. Didn't wash a pair of 20 denier tights once because I needed them had an awful rash on both legs. That taught me to do what I had always done. My parents drummed it into me from an early age to wash everything that can be washed as you never know what could be on them from manufacturing.

Northernlass Wed 29-Jun-22 16:00:52

Definitely! My brother's a chemist (not the pharamacy sort) and he says the dyes/finishes etc aren't great next to the skin - always wash before wearing new clothes.

annodomini Wed 29-Jun-22 17:05:09

My DGD did a degree in fashion technology. She has never expressed misgivings about the safety of new clothes. As she now has a baby, I must ask her if she has laundered the vast amount of clothing that comprises the new arrival's wardrobe,

Battersea1971 Wed 29-Jun-22 18:47:28

No I never wash new clothes, a lot of items never seem the same once theyve been washed. If i buy anything second hand from a charity shop then i do.

SueDonim Wed 29-Jun-22 20:43:05

annodomini

My DGD did a degree in fashion technology. She has never expressed misgivings about the safety of new clothes. As she now has a baby, I must ask her if she has laundered the vast amount of clothing that comprises the new arrival's wardrobe,

That reminds that a young couple I know were recently expecting their third baby, a girl. When the baby arrived, it turned out to be a boy and he had an extensive wardrobe of newly laundered pink clothing, pink bedding and pink toys. Oops! They had to replace the lot, which wasn’t cheap.

suzikyoo Thu 30-Jun-22 01:00:56

Always .... you don't know where they've been!! smile

Mollygo Thu 30-Jun-22 10:10:17

Quite a lot of extra laundry going on. Do you wash new things separately or is it OK to wash with existing clothing? I do wash new bedding-which counts as a full load.

Riggie Thu 30-Jun-22 14:15:46

Not really. Although I belong to a clothing group on Facebook and have noticed that for some people "trying things on" seems to mean wearing them for an hour or two.