Gransnet forums

Chat

Sick people in shops

(135 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 02-Jul-22 06:11:34

We just went to one of our local shopping centres and in the supermarket there was a man with no mask who was coughing everywhere and looking pretty sick. I grabbed my husband’s arm and we left very quickly but I was left wondering how selfish some people are, no thought for others. No excuse, there is a delivery service available at very little cost. O wonder diseases spread.

MissAdventure Sat 02-Jul-22 16:35:24

The best we can all do is wear a mask ourselves, then we don't unwittingly pass it on to anyone else (hopefully) so there will be less people around who can pass it back to us, further down the line.

lemsip Sat 02-Jul-22 16:37:28

I would have left too.
It turns my stomach to hear one of those 'choky' coughs.. whatever it's caused by, I don't want to be near it!
That's my choice!

M0nica Sat 02-Jul-22 16:38:46

I might add I am deeply cynical about all public health announcements and indeed anything else.

I have been reading a book on how over the last 10-15 years, almost all government ministries have quietly built up units staffed by behavioural psychologists, whose sole purpose is to persuade us to do things, accept things, accept policies, by manipulating our feelings and emotions and desire to be 'normal' and like everybody else.

I can remember driving up a motorway, where for about 20 miles the message on the gantries said 'Take your rubbish home it is what other people do'. It is David Cameron and his 'nudge' policy

I ended tearing a supermarket bill in to lots of tiny pieces and dribbling it out of the passenger window, pieces of paper, too small to be any kind of a nuisance or even be seen, washed away with the first shower of rain.

A lot of the COVID advertising was of this nature aimed at keeping us fearful and scared to ensure compliance with government diktats

LOUISA1523 Sat 02-Jul-22 16:53:36

My partner has had covid with no symptoms as do lots of people...you are likely far more at risk from these people than the man you talk of ....people are carrying on with their lives these days...so if you are vulnerable its down to you to protect yourself....you can't keep calling people selfish....lots have to work with covid now as they don't get paid ...they have to pick their kids up .... they have to get provisions ... we've moved on ....we all have to make our own decisions now.... very judgy OP?

MayBee70 Sat 02-Jul-22 18:14:34

M0nica

I might add I am deeply cynical about all public health announcements and indeed anything else.

I have been reading a book on how over the last 10-15 years, almost all government ministries have quietly built up units staffed by behavioural psychologists, whose sole purpose is to persuade us to do things, accept things, accept policies, by manipulating our feelings and emotions and desire to be 'normal' and like everybody else.

I can remember driving up a motorway, where for about 20 miles the message on the gantries said 'Take your rubbish home it is what other people do'. It is David Cameron and his 'nudge' policy

I ended tearing a supermarket bill in to lots of tiny pieces and dribbling it out of the passenger window, pieces of paper, too small to be any kind of a nuisance or even be seen, washed away with the first shower of rain.

A lot of the COVID advertising was of this nature aimed at keeping us fearful and scared to ensure compliance with government diktats

Why go to so much trouble to prove a point that no one even knew you were making confused

Marydoll Sat 02-Jul-22 18:18:40

so if you are vulnerable its down to you to protect yourself....you can't keep calling people selfish.

Of course it the responsibility of those of us, who are CEV and immunocompromised to keep ourselves safe. I wouldn't expect anyone to keep me safe. The vulnerability is mine.
However, are we to stay in our homes forever?

Sometimes, I become quite sad at the lack of compassion, humanity, and consideration for others, I see on GN.
I often wonders how some posters would react if they suddenly found themselves, labelled as CEV. Would their opinions change?

M0nica Sat 02-Jul-22 18:24:24

Marydoll probably not. While I would, and do respect how someone feels, when out. But if I had any severe problems, I simply wouldn't want to to rely on anyone else doing things to protect me. I simply would not trust my self protection to anyone but myself.

maddyone Sat 02-Jul-22 18:32:09

I cough a lot. I have asthma and scarring on my lungs from when I had Covid. I do wear a mask in shops though.

Zoejory Sat 02-Jul-22 18:33:22

nanna8

This was a young bloke and I’d be surprised if he any lung disease but I wouldn’t be surprised if he had Covid. A lot of us cough but most of us protect our mouths when we do so and don’t cough all over others. I have had Covid and 4 vaccinations but I still don’t want to be coughed all over, thanks. Nothing to do with Christianity, either. What a nasty comment that was. Oh, and we were both wearing masks .

Why on earth might a young man not have lung disease? Or asthma? Poor bloke. I hope he didn't see you running out of the store

Marydoll Sat 02-Jul-22 18:38:10

Perhaps we should build compounds for those who are CEV, and have coughs to keep them away from the public. That way, everyone else would be able to get on with their lives, without any constraints on their freedom. ?

#I'm alright Jack.

PS, that was meant to be a tongue in cheek comment.

Naninavan Sat 02-Jul-22 18:48:48

Got covid here, first time, got too relaxed and I know I got it from a coughing man in a well ventilated room. Am now day ten, very little energy still but improving. I kept looking at this man and thinking, surely you wouldn't come to a meeting if you thought you might be infectious? I was wrong, lesson learned going forward.

saltnshake Sat 02-Jul-22 18:53:45

People with high blood pressure can cough a lot if they are taking Ramipril. It doesn't happen with everyone but it is very annoying if it happens to you. Mind you it can clear a space around you in shops. Taking an alternative drug now, cough cleared in a few days.

Audi10 Sat 02-Jul-22 19:13:03

Exactly Meryl

Baggs Sat 02-Jul-22 19:17:56

Marydoll

^so if you are vulnerable its down to you to protect yourself....you can't keep calling people selfish.^

Of course it the responsibility of those of us, who are CEV and immunocompromised to keep ourselves safe. I wouldn't expect anyone to keep me safe. The vulnerability is mine.

Sometimes, I become quite sad at the lack of compassion, humanity, and consideration for others, I see on GN.
I often wonders how some posters would react if they suddenly found themselves, labelled as CEV. Would their opinions change?

And yet, mdoll, you have put yourself in risk positions (Glasgow Concert Hall cafe) that I chose not to put myself into in case I picked up something that might put more vulnerable friends at risk of catching covid.

I feel no more at risk of covid than I do of flu, which is not at all, even without the vaccines (which I had) but I have deliberately avoided risks that I know you have taken.

How does that figure?

Baggs Sat 02-Jul-22 19:20:12

I just want people to stop ramming covid down my throat. It has got, as meryl says, bat-shit bonkers.

Baggs Sat 02-Jul-22 19:22:57

I realise I can nnever go to a Glesca grans meet-up ever again because I'm a selfish bastard, sick of covid shit.

Except I'm not.

Zoejory Sat 02-Jul-22 19:23:02

The thing is many people are asymptomatic. You could be stood next to someone who is Covid positive. They don't know they are positive, they feel fine. But they could pass the virus on

It's rather irked me this because I have a nephew who has CF. He coughs. A lot. Should he never leave the house in case he coughs and upsets someone?

Marydoll Sat 02-Jul-22 19:38:42

Baggs I made that decision to go and made no demands of the other people there to keep me safe. As I have previously said, I do not ask anyone, nor have ever asked anyone to make sacrifices for me.
My vulnerability is solely MY responsibility.

I don't know why I am feel I have to to explain and defend my actions. You weren't there, so you don't know what the situation was.

All I was asking earlier for was some compassion and understanding from posters.
For your information, I went with the approval of my clinician, although that is really none of your business.
Sometimes we need to make our mental health our priority over our physical health.

I think it's time for me to leave this thread, now that it has become personal. I must say, I never expected this from you.

Marydoll Sat 02-Jul-22 19:41:03

Baggs

I realise I can nnever go to a Glesca grans meet-up ever again because I'm a selfish bastard, sick of covid shit.

Except I'm not.

Who has said that of you? Certainly not I! You are being ridiculous now. Everyone is welcome.
I am truly shocked at your venom.

nadateturbe Sat 02-Jul-22 19:53:10

Poor man.

LOUISA1523 Sat 02-Jul-22 20:11:44

Marydoll

^so if you are vulnerable its down to you to protect yourself....you can't keep calling people selfish.^

Actually I am CEV ....I was eligible for 4 jabs...All of which I've had .....and no...I don't think people are selfish for wanting to get back out there....the vulnerability is also mine....I choose to get out and live my life .....I just got back from Glastonbury where every other person seems to have got covid....I did not...
Just lucky I guess....its hardly lack of compassion to and humanity to get on with life....when my DSIL had covid a couple of weeks ago she still had to go to work otherwise she wouldn't get paid....she still had to pick her kids up...she still had to shop....she's a single mum and no one else to do it .....she's not selfish ....she's looking out for her family...same as you have to look out for yourself...
Same as I do.....so no, my opinion as a CEV person remains the same as when you ASSUMED I wasn't CEV ....if you want to stay home thats your choice .
..I respect that..... shame you can't do the same and respect other peoples choices

Grayling Sat 02-Jul-22 20:16:41

I caught Covid while attending for an emergency appointment at the dentist. When I entered the waiting room everyone was seated wearing masks and I sat down next to the door on one side and an empty seat on the other, A few minutes later a young man came out of the toilet not wearing a mask and sat in the empty chair beside me. Within minutes he was "snottering & sneezing" and searching his pockets unsuccessfully for a handkerchief - well, I would hope that was what he was doing but was unsuccessful. I turned my face away from him and made sure my mask was secured. I got called very quickly and attended to. As my members of my family work in hospitality and education we have all been testing regularly and guess what? Two days later I tested positive. My DD couldn't believe I didn't walk out but I was in pain but I will admit I maybe should have or at least said something at the time.

MayBee70 Sat 02-Jul-22 20:19:57

I, too am going to leave this thread because I don’t think people are even attempting to understand some of the points of view that are being expressed. I think that covid has shown people in this country to be very self centred and uncaring. We all have to do our bit both to protect ourselves and to protect other people.

Zoejory Sat 02-Jul-22 20:26:30

MayBee70

I, too am going to leave this thread because I don’t think people are even attempting to understand some of the points of view that are being expressed. I think that covid has shown people in this country to be very self centred and uncaring. We all have to do our bit both to protect ourselves and to protect other people.

What about the point of view of mine? My coughing nephew? I imagine some people would react with horror if they came across him. He doesn't look well at all either. I'd be so upset if people treated him as if he was persona non grata.

Also as mentioned earlier, many people are asymptomatic. How would you avoid them?

My eldest grandson tested positive. He was totally unaffected. No symptoms at all.

But according to some it appears my nephew would be looked at with disdain and grandson could go anywhere he wanted . Infecting as he went.

rafichagran Sat 02-Jul-22 20:32:42

Marydoll

No, because we dont know what goes on in other peoples lives, not my place to judge.
I think it is unreasonable to presume. People have to get on with their lives as stated by MD