Gransnet forums

Chat

Sick people in shops

(135 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 02-Jul-22 06:11:34

We just went to one of our local shopping centres and in the supermarket there was a man with no mask who was coughing everywhere and looking pretty sick. I grabbed my husband’s arm and we left very quickly but I was left wondering how selfish some people are, no thought for others. No excuse, there is a delivery service available at very little cost. O wonder diseases spread.

growstuff Sun 03-Jul-22 19:36:05

Nanna58

Reading some of the posts on this thread I think one of the worst aspects of COVID is how it has made people so fearful and judgemental of each other. Quick to point the finger at ‘rule breakers’ without knowing circumstances, rushing out of shops despite being triple jabbed and masked up, and thinking any poor soul with a cough is ‘Typhoid Mary’ - we need to let go a little now.

"Rule breaking" is rule breaking whatever the reason. In a handful of cases, it was unavoidable, but in may cases the excuses were downright pathetic.

growstuff Sun 03-Jul-22 19:37:27

Nobody tells the virus that some people are exempt. Fortunately, if the majority comply, there will be fewer opportunities for infection.

LOUISA1523 Sun 03-Jul-22 19:38:51

growstuff

It's not selfish to want to "get back to normal" (who doesn't?) but it's not going to happen any time soon. Pretending the virus has gone won't make it disappear.

Of course its not gone...who's pretending??‍♀️.... it will be here for ever.
but the risks are reduced now with vaccinations so most people have resumed normal life .....if you choose not to thats ok too.... but it doesn't make me irresponsible and I think you were very wrong to accuse me of that without any knowledgeof circumstances... very very wrong

LOUISA1523 Sun 03-Jul-22 19:41:51

GROWSTUFF So what 'rules' do you think were broken? If you are referring to me...which i assume you are?

Ali08 Sun 03-Jul-22 20:37:44

I have a cough. I have asthma and a hiatus hernia and also oesophagus issues, all of which can, & do, cause coughing!
I also have bad anxiety issues which cause more anxiety issues if I wear anything over my face, or tightish tops around my neck, but I do cover my mouth as much as possible when I cough!!
BFF has COPD & asthma, he also coughs!

Megs36 Sun 03-Jul-22 21:24:40

So unbelievable how unpleasant this post has gone in places. Many of us have multiple problems physically and now mentally but don’t feel the need to air our problems , I usually read some of the daily ‘news’ ,and rarely contribute but I now feelI don’t want to be a part of these ‘discussions’ any more.
I offer sympathy to those suffering in any way.

maddyone Mon 04-Jul-22 11:06:41

LOUISA I’m very sorry to hear you’ve had cancer and I hope your treatment has left you well. The problem that occurred was that you wrote a rather provocative post claiming to have seen your daughter and granddaughter on most days throughout lockdown, but failing to give the important information that you were suffering from cancer at the time, which is obviously a mitigating circumstance. By not including that information at first you appeared to be supportive of rule breakers when most of us were following every rule. Smileless is correct, I read your rather belligerent answer to my post and without reading the rest of the thread, I responded. I shouldn’t have done that without reading the rest of the thread. I don’t know what your deleted post said as I’ve only come back to this thread this morning, but clearly it fell foul of guidelines.
I’m sorry you’ve been so ill. I hope you’re feeling better now.

Marsha Mon 04-Jul-22 12:04:05

What a kind and considerate post Maddyone

Greenfinch Mon 04-Jul-22 12:19:25

I was thinking exactly the same.