Gransnet forums

Chat

Not seen that in a long,long while

(68 Posts)
nanna8 Tue 05-Jul-22 06:59:14

Our postman today was riding a pushbike. Usually they have a motorbike these days. Are they cutting costs or was he a health conscious person? Must be a bit heavy carrying the mail around that way. I should point out that we are lucky if they deliver more than twice a week here- not sure why. This is 4.30 pm in the afternoon, obviously our road is not a mail priority!

Any other blasts from the past happening where you live?

Casdon Tue 05-Jul-22 11:58:07

Callistemon21

Casdon

Callistemon21

And - instead of one person driving round delivering parcels, there are dozens driving to the nearest depot to pick up their parcels!

Doesn’t your postman bring your parcels in his van Callistemon21, our still does and if they miss you you can request to have it re delivered two days after. They also pick parcels up from home to post for you., I don’t know if we’re just lucky but our service is excellent.

No, I was talking about a large city in Australia, Casdon where, as nanna8 said, the posties' vans have been replaced by pushbikes.

It's fine here in Wales (so far)

Sorry, my mistake I misunderstood what you meant. I’m blaming the fence painting, I came in for a break and my brain is obviously not fully engaged!

Chestnut Tue 05-Jul-22 13:41:26

Callistemon21

Chewbacca

We get a man round here calling 'any old iron

We have similar, but he walks around shouting RAG AND BONE!! Don't think he gives you a donkey stone though!

I've no idea what ours shout, we hear them in the distance but they never come up our road.

If they leaflet the houses saying they will be round every 3rd Monday at 2pm then we might know what was going on! And it would give us a chance to prepare something. I'm not sure anyone has any rags or bones, but presumably they collect rubbish, who knows?

JackyB Tue 05-Jul-22 15:43:04

Our Deutsche Post posties use e- bikes. (Is that what they're called in the UK?)

They are fitted back and front with huge baskets. A different chap comes along in a van with the parcels.

Witzend Tue 05-Jul-22 19:51:38

Our postman has a van.
And just as well - I recently had 6 big parcels for him to collect (Click and Drop, 60p each for collection) - a bike wouldn’t have been much use!

They were full of outgrown children’s clothes, going from a dd to a cousin who has a Ukrainian family with 3 children staying.

It was the first time I’ve used the Collect service - brilliant - though I will always use Click and Drop - (print your own label) - now.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 06-Jul-22 11:26:08

We used to have a rag and bone man round our area when I was a small child. Not sure if he had a horse and cart, as he was heard but not seen!
We also used to have a man call door to door with hot cross buns at Easter.
Our posties here in the suburbs are generally 2 to a van, park up and disperse to deliver to our estate.
Something else I haven't seen in a while are my feet, unless I bend over.....

Bijou Wed 06-Jul-22 11:30:56

A postperson delivers letters in the morning. A van delivers heavy parcels and a van lighter parcels in the afternoon.
I remember the days when if you posted a local letter (1 penny) in the morning it would arrive in the afternoon.

jenni123 Wed 06-Jul-22 11:50:40

You should come to Brighton, Lycra not necessary as we have the Naked Bike ride.

Vintagejazz Wed 06-Jul-22 12:06:25

karmalady

I wear that `awful` lycra gear, why is it awful vintagejazz? It is so very practical for those of us that want to exercise by riding a bike.

It just doesn't look nice, particularly on men. There may be reasons why it's more practical to wear when cycling to work, but I would far rather see my boss 1st thing in the morning in a pair of joggers than in tight lycra.

Ninney Wed 06-Jul-22 12:15:24

A Rag n Bone man came around yesterday!! Alas, not on a horse n cart, but in a flatbed lorry! He was shouting from the window though!

JaneJudge Wed 06-Jul-22 12:17:08

ours come in a van like postman pat

Mapleleaf Wed 06-Jul-22 12:30:48

A rag and bone man occasionally comes around our area in a flat bed lorry. He uses a tannoy type thing to announce he’s there - a bit like the political party groups did (in cars rather than lorries!) in the run up to voting day to exhort you to vote for their party.
Our postie parks his van on a nearby street and then delivers the mail on foot, pushing a trolley or wearing a type of haversack, depending how much post he has.

Nannan2 Wed 06-Jul-22 12:47:44

My late (ex) husband (then in his mid 20's-when we first married) started up his own window cleaning business many years ago, when jobs were scarce- he carried his extendable ladders & bucket & cloths etc all on his shoulders-and walked. He built up quite a big round in the end-and kept it going a long time.You wouldn't get young 'uns doing that these days.?

Camelotclub Wed 06-Jul-22 12:50:12

A rag and bone man! Used to have them in the 80s when I lived in Hammersmith. Not seen since. (Why bones I wonder?)

Nannan2 Wed 06-Jul-22 12:53:40

We used to get someone in a flatbed van- shouted 'rag bone' but ive not heard him in a while?....we also still seem to hear 2 different ice cream van chimes- who I'm sure no one goes to as its always lunch & teatimes when they come...

Nannan2 Wed 06-Jul-22 12:57:54

Camelotclub- i think in the (very old) past they gave bones in return for the rags- which then folk used as glue & fertiliser.

Treetops05 Wed 06-Jul-22 13:05:19

Our post is delivered by a postie who reverses at speed down our lane, does an emergency stop in our drive, runs to our letter box, then the neighbours and roars off again!

Riggie Wed 06-Jul-22 13:09:59

Ours comes in a van, delivers any larger parcels and then parks centrally and walks round with the letters

nanna8 Wed 06-Jul-22 13:15:11

Most of our parcels in Australia now come from private couriers because the service is better and more reliable. Sad state of affairs. So we have different vans diving around the suburbs.

LovelyLady Wed 06-Jul-22 13:17:20

Knittingnovice
You saw a walking policeman. I think this was when you were asleep or you were watching an old film.
Policemen used to be immaculately dressed. The very few I see now are scruffy looking as if they’d slept in their clothes. I’m reluctant to call it a uniform. Shoes unpolished and look like scruffy boots.
Where are the neat clothes they could wear.
No pride in their ‘uniform’

Usernametaken Wed 06-Jul-22 13:17:56

What you don’t tend to see nowadays are parents asking their children to give up their seat on a bus or train for old people. When I was a child it was a done thing, but parents don’t seem to teach their children manners any more.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 06-Jul-22 13:18:14

I don't think I've seen a postman in long trousers for ages, or a man in a smart suit with a rose in his buttonhole.

A few years back I saw a chap on a building site wearing a checked lumberjack shirt with a bowler hat - he may have been wearing it for a laugh.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 06-Jul-22 13:22:32

I've just remembered that we used to have a man riding round on his bicycle calling out 'footba' post' (Football Post) which was a pink paper hot off the press on late Saturday afternoons. You'd stop him and buy one to check the football results to see if you'd won the pools.

pascal30 Wed 06-Jul-22 14:15:33

My window cleaner uses a bike,and has only recently updated it to an electric bike despite all the hills in Brighton.

TiggyW Wed 06-Jul-22 15:19:00

You don’t see children playing in the street outside their homes. We used to play out until bedtime. ?

glammagran Wed 06-Jul-22 15:26:49

I had no idea Rag and Bone men still operated. I haven’t seen one since I was a young child in the early 60’s. Ours came round on a flatbed pulled by a horse.