Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's kitchen for kindly, caring folk...

(1001 Posts)
soop Sat 06-Aug-22 09:46:23

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good pals
And jolly good company...

WELCOME brew cupcake wine flowers sunshine smile

Blossoming Sat 06-Aug-22 22:47:31

Good evening lovely Kitcheners. We have just got home after a wonderful afternoon and evening at our cousin’s Golden Wedding celebration. The weather has been perfect, wonderful company and delicious food. I was sitting down so no worries about my balance today, even after 2 small glasses of wine grin. It’s quite a long journey and I’m sleepy now but wanted to visit the new kitchen. I’m sorry to hear the falling bug has bitten you YiaYia, it shakes you up besides any bumps and bruises. Soop I have to admit I haven’t done any cycling today as there wasn’t time. I did manage to practice some Gaelic though.

Goodnight, sleep tight all x

Nannytopsy Sat 06-Aug-22 23:29:53

Evening everyone! We have DGS &DGD here tonight and it’s taken a while to get DGS to sleep.
DD has finally been taken to delivery to have her waters broken. It was to be at 2am but they found an earlier spot at 10pm. She’s been waiting over 24 hours. All the guff about having choice and making your birth plan are just nonsense when there is such a shortage of staff. I expect she will have a caesarean tomorrow some time. Does anyone know of an induction that was successful?
Once they are safely home and have worked out which end is which, we will go and meet him and take their dog home. She is aware something is going on and is very doleful.
There is lasagne in the fridge. Can someone pop it in the oven tomorrow for lunch? Help yourselves!
Night night xx

ShazzaKanazza Sun 07-Aug-22 10:46:39

Good morning lovely Kitcheners.

Blossoming your day yesterday sounded wonderful. Hope your aches from your fall are feeling better.

Nannytopsy I’m just wanting to wish your daughter well today and wondering if her induction worked and she’s had her baby or if she’s still in labour??

Charleygirl5 Sun 07-Aug-22 11:07:21

I love a new kitchen and these days we are on the move frequently.

The electrician is returning on the 20th the day the plasterer/tiler does his work. The electrician thought I could be without my washing machine for nearly a month- actually no so he has set up a Heath Robinson affair which will get me by. I cannot wait for mid September when the new doors have been fitted and the house is my own again. I have had enough of salads already so I may be popping in for a hot meal.

Doodle Sun 07-Aug-22 12:01:52

Hello all in the new kitchen.
DH went and had his antibacterial infusion for Covid yesterday. It seems to be helping as he’s not coughing so much.
Yiayia ouch ? hope you’re ok.
Hope you had a lovely time with your DGC Brook
SueDonim sounds as though you have a lot going on at the moment. Hope your mum is ok.
Nannytopsy hope all goes well for your DD and you get some news soon.
charleygirl you’ve got lots going on too. Hope you are keeping well
Have a good weekend all

Pantglas2 Sun 07-Aug-22 12:29:38

Just spotted my partner-in-crime Doodle sneaking in to Soops lovely new kitchen so thought I’d drop some of my freshly made strawberry ? jam in.

Please help yourselves before norty Doodle scoffs em all (we’re usually up to no good behind the bike shed at Miss Mary-dolls Skool ?‍♀️)

Blossoming Sun 07-Aug-22 12:35:37

Just popping in to see if any news about your daughter NannyTopsy, hoping all goes well today. I’m tired after yesterday’s outing and a late night, but very happy to have been with some of my loved ones for a glorious occasion.

hulahoop Sun 07-Aug-22 12:39:35

NannytopsyI was induced with my son it worked quickly only 7hrs for first not bad I didn't think. We are waiting for gc to arrive they are staying a couple of days.

SueDonim Sun 07-Aug-22 13:17:19

I hope the baby has arrived by now, Nannytopsy. I had two inductions, they certainly worked - the first one, my son was here in four hours! Hardly had time to catch my breath. grin

I realised this morning that it’s going to be interesting when my son is up and my dd comes round for her dinner while her kitchen is being done. We’ve disposed of lots of our furniture as we’ve downsized and we’ll only have four dining chairs. We’ll have to eat in shifts! ??

Have a good day everyone. I’ve got loads of moving admin to do, while Dh mends the toilet seat. Happy days! grin

muse Sun 07-Aug-22 15:33:10

Good afternoon Kitcheners.
New kitchen with fabulous flowers and so many food offerings. ?. The heat has stopped me tending to the veggies especially the squash ! I think I’d better find a market stall
somewhere later this year! I have lots of reading to do instead. I received an email from a build company we’ve been buying some materials from. Building regulations have changed this year. I have my fingers crossed that our new , almost finished, house meets with the changes. Our spring fed stream is very low now so we’ve had to put our 5000 litre tank, that’s eventually for the new house, into action. It has to be filled and then connected first. A friend is helping ?. I wish we could have just a few showers at night. The stream soon tops up. I did an early shop today for bottled drinking water. . First call was to Lidl (none?). Drove on - thankfully I got lots from Aldi. The little water we have in the tanks will be for the veggies and washing.

Oh No Yia but pleased your DH and others did the first aid caring bit.

I do so admire how you are coping SueDonim. That’s such a lot of busy business for you. Good luck with the move and keep finding those holiday jobs for your DS2.

Another month Charleygirl and you’ll be all smiles. A washing machine is a big must. When I moved in with MrMuse he didn’t possess one and used the laundrette. There was no room in the cottage for my washing machine so he had to do some water and drainage diversions to install it in an outbuilding. If Doodle reads this, she’ll be wondering when we’re moving into our new home with every bit of luxury I need. The date’s been postponed Doodle. MrM has to recover from his hernia op to then finish the solar thermal installation (some of that is on the roof) and I need a return date from the electrician.

I’ll pop back tonight to see if the baby has arrived.

Baggs Sun 07-Aug-22 15:34:16

Found you! I do like to know where the current Soop Kitchen is. Don't post often but I do drop in quietly to catch up now and then.

Charleygirl5 Sun 07-Aug-22 16:26:44

Pantglas and Doodle I strongly suggest you behave. Marydoll may not be feeling 100% at present so I will take over.

My grass is yellow and non-existent as we have not had a drop of rain here for a few weeks and none on the horizon. I have solar panels but not PV so there is more hot water than I need.
TOYA.

Grandmabatty Sun 07-Aug-22 17:22:05

Afternoon ladies. I've watered my tomatoes and other droopy things. Oo er. We don't have a water ban here but apparently the reservoirs are at 80% what they would normally be at this time of year. I hope Nannytopsy has baby news to report and Blossoming and Yiayia are mending. I have a gammon roasting and the veg is all prepared. A very quiet day for me. Lots of gentle pottering and a lengthy nap so I'm ready for anything! Have a good evening Kitcheners.

Yiayia4 Sun 07-Aug-22 17:55:06

Afternoon everyone.Thanks for your concern.
I feel very sore and achy,DH had to help me dress and comb my hair this morning,that’s a first??but he’s been very good now cooking dinner, I’m very lucky. It’s been very hot again today and I’ve done nothing.Hopeful tomorrow I will get back to normal.
Hope your feeling better Blossoming and Nannytopsy hope you will get news of the baby very soon.
Have a pleasant evening Kitcheners.

SueDonim Sun 07-Aug-22 18:00:52

Oh well, very little has been achieved here. The toilet seat fixings don’t match with the existing loo seat, so a whole new seat is required. That’s two hours we won’t get back.

I haven’t been able to do any of the moving admin stuff because Royal Mail doesn’t recognise its own post code that it’s allocated to our new house and consequently, I can’t do any changes of address. ?‍♀️

Blossoming Sun 07-Aug-22 18:38:21

Good evening lovely Kitcheners. I’m improving thanks, today’s tiredness is the result of a long day and a late night, and nothing whatsoever to do with eating strawberry pavlova, raspberry trifle and lots of cake grin

Today we have eaten bacon rolls for a late brunch and have just enjoyed a slice of chocolate cake which my cousin gave each guest to take home. She really knows how to throw a party and her husband is very good at following directions grin.

I have done my 45 minutes cycling along the road to nowheresville and an hour of Gaelic practice. The Gaelic for cake is cèic and ‘Is toil leam cèic’ means ‘I like cake’. These lessons are most useful!

Will pop back later, TTFN

ShazzaKanazza Sun 07-Aug-22 18:46:40

Good afternoon dear Kitcheners. It’s been one of those lolling sort of days today where you can’t really be bothered.
DS and GS came over. GS was a little joy as ever. He ignored his new den but we don’t really want him in there rather that out and happy which he was today. We spent the rest of the afternoon binge watching Ted Lasso. It’s fabulous.

Yia sorry you ache so much from your fall. It’s good to know your lovely husband is helping you with lots of TLC.
Grandmabatty I don’t think we are far off a ban. No rain forecast this week just hot sunshine. We are going to have to be choosy what we water.

Thankyou for the lovely food in the kitchen and the strawberry jam Pantglas.

Great to see ladies popping in who we haven’t seen in a little while??
Right DH needs my help with dinner he’s cranked up the bbq.
Speak soon. Looking forward to hearing baby news ?
X?

soop Sun 07-Aug-22 19:08:48

Pantglas2 It is very generous of you to share the strawberry jam. Norty Doodle and you are most welcome.

I am way behind today. We've been visiting folk and I have no excuses other than it's my 81st birthday tomorrow...and we are just warming up with the celebrations. Which means that the bike ride to no place is a no go (for today).

Anyways, I haven't forgotten you. I am secretly wishing that Nannytopsy will have further reasons for us lot to celebrate in style.

Sweetie Pie has been and gone for both breakfast and supper. All that we have to show for her visit is an empty dish and five empty pouches that need rinsing for the recycle bin. hmm

I am about to empty the washing machine. It had finished the cycle at least two hours ago. After which, I shall slip into my 'jamas and enjoy a delicious glass of wine. Our friends in the village have given me three bottles as a birthday gift. You know that I would be happy to share with all our pals here in the kitchen. Only trouble is, the wine wouldn't travel well. So I guess that I am going to have to squirrel it away and make it last. wink

Until we meet again sometime tomorrow...hugs in abundance. smile moon

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 07-Aug-22 19:15:28

Happy birthday for tomorrow Soop???
OH and I had a delicious lunch at one of those ancient little country pubs in the middle of nowhere. Cheese soufflé in a bowl of clam chowder; asparagus, roast lamb and all the trimmings, roast beef and all the trimmings. We shared chocolate fondant and raspberry sorbet. We had a little rest when we got home and then spent one and a half hours clearing out the lounge ready for the decorators tomorrow. I have ordered curtains for the kitchen and a batch of samples for new hall and landing curtains. I am drawn towards some bright pink fabric with a pattern of black unicorn/zebras! We’ll see.

Jaxjacky Sun 07-Aug-22 19:37:20

Perhaps musical chairs SueD ?very annoying about the postcodes.
Every day should be better Yia good you have help and I’m very pleased Blossomingyou had such a lovely time yesterday.
Hosepipe ban here Grandmabatty 6 watering cans have sorted the basics, my priority is veg. Then I heard next door out with their hose, mumble, mumble.
We played over 2 hours at bowls this afternoon in 26, about my limit, home, shower, supermarket bbq chicken with veg has been eaten.
I’ll sleep well, especially as MrJ has just refilled my wine glass, enjoy your evening all x

Blossoming Sun 07-Aug-22 19:53:22

Meant to say, take it easy YiaYia, hope you feel better soon x

brook2704 Sun 07-Aug-22 20:11:41

A very Happy Birthday for tomorrow soop ????
I’ve really noticed such a big difference in the grass here in Cambridge charley compared to home in Inverness - in fact most of the grass around here is so parched and dry it’s almost disintegrated into just bits of straw on top of the soil. Not a bit of green grass to be seen anywhere and even some of the trees are badly affected too
We had a lovely day today at the Cambridge Country Show, lots of really interesting things going on and both DGSs loved it. It was way too hot for me, I had to keep going to find some shade and eventually found the cookery show tent where I watched a couple of demonstrations sat down in the shade - perfect. The eldest DGS aged 7 likes the reptiles best and got the chance to hold lots of scary looking animals and the youngest DGS aged 5 loved the dog and duck show most. DD1 and SiL decided to go out with a couple of friends this evening so I’ve just got the boys settled in bed and collapsed on the sofa with a cuppa
Hi to Doodle and pantglas and thanks for the jam, yummy
Im always in awe of you muse and what you’ve achieved with your house build so far, it must be such hard work but you carry on despite any setbacks. It’ll be such a brilliant day when you eventually move in
Hope the postcode is soon sorted Sue what a nuisance

Nannytopsy Sun 07-Aug-22 20:28:43

Finally had the phonecall at 8pm ( after a gentle nudge!)
Fergus arrived at 6.30pm, 7lb 6oz and all doing well.
We can relax now with our glasses of fizz! There’s champers on the table for you lot!

Yiayia4 Sun 07-Aug-22 20:36:48

Yay.Welcome to the world Fergus love the name.
Congratulations to you and your family Nanytopsy. ?????

Dogsmakemesmile Sun 07-Aug-22 20:39:42

Congratulations Nannytopsy. You will thrilled and relieved. Happy for you.
SueD hang on there. Hopefully things will get easier. You sound very busy. Look after yourself.
Yia so sorry you fell. Your confidence will be knocked. Take it easy for a few days.
soop happy birthday for tomorrow.
Haven't been around much as distracted by my sister unwell with Covid but now on the mend. An incredibly stoical person and she battles on with several health issues but was floored. Take care all.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion