Gransnet forums

Chat

SE water shortages and the encouragement of snitching

(32 Posts)
Baggs Wed 10-Aug-22 09:52:13

What do people think of this (not written by me):

South East Water has encouraged customers to grass up neighbours who water their grass. South East Water do say that issuing fines for flouting hosepipe bans is the last thing that they want to do, but customers can nevertheless be fined £1,000.

Yes, this is a long dry spell, and we all need to play our part, but do water boards have to pull the snitching lever? Talk about treating us like The Great Unwashed. How about not peering over the neighbour’s fence and just minding your own business? Or, if you feel you must say something about a lawn or paddling pool misdeamonour , have a polite and direct word with your neighbour yourself.

We’re not running out of water because Mr Jones next door is using the sprinkler. The fact is, we’ve had no new reservoirs for decades to keep up with population demands, and water boards are leaking more than 3 billion litres of mains water every day. We should all be sensible and conserve water during a heatwave, but it is the responsibility of water companies and the government to provide adequate infrastructure to meet the demands of the population.

The problem is that the authorities get carried away by these finger-pointing schemes. Take the recent suggestion by the Behavioural Insights Team - a.k.a. the Nudge Unit - that households should be sent letters comparing neighbourhood energy consumption...

M0nica Thu 11-Aug-22 08:42:50

For no known reason the grass on my front garden is green. The back is as dry and brown as any Mrs Grundy could demand.

Why the front plot remains green, I have no idea, I certainly do not water it. It has been the same during other droughts. My next door neighbour's plot is similarly green.

Baggytrazzas Thu 11-Aug-22 08:50:18

M0nica

For no known reason the grass on my front garden is green. The back is as dry and brown as any Mrs Grundy could demand.

Why the front plot remains green, I have no idea, I certainly do not water it. It has been the same during other droughts. My next door neighbour's plot is similarly green.

M0nica, maybe your neighbour waters yours at the same time. But best watch out or you could be reported by curtain twitchers for having GREEN grass. Lol

Baggytrazzas Thu 11-Aug-22 08:51:27

M0nica just a thought, could the front be artificial grass?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Aug-22 09:39:19

We are Band G, we do not have a water meter, we could possibly save money by having one installed.

We do have a water harvesting tank sunk in the garden which holds 3,500 litres of rain water/run off water. This is used for all garden watering and all toilets can be switched over to use it also.

Our lawn is green and plants are flourishing.

M0nica Thu 11-Aug-22 15:26:08

Baggytrazzas No way, we live in a village, our front garden is not large,but next doors is large, has no fence or barrier and merges into a grass verge. They are non-gardeners and the grass grows for about 6 weeks then they pay someone to cut it.

I suspect it is because we are a spring-line village, sloping gently down into flood plain, the puzzle is why our maain back lawn is so dry, when the grass in the veg patch stays green, aand no, I have not been watering the veg. A combination of weather and ill health means the veg patch is a total loss this year, so I havn't wasted water on it.

Teacheranne Thu 11-Aug-22 15:55:31

My back garden always remains green because it is mainly moss! I love to walk on it in bare feet as it is so soft and springy! My front garden however looks more like straw at the moment but it won’t take long to recover, I think rain is forecast for next week here in Manchester.