Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you wear at home in this hot weather?

(184 Posts)
Bazza Wed 10-Aug-22 14:23:30

I’m asking what you put on when you know that you’re not going out and no one is coming round! I have four loose midi cotton dresses with thin straps, and that’s it. No underwear, just one garment. A clean one every day, but it’s certainly cut down on the washing. It’s not a pretty sight but I’m as cool as is possible. I also keep a spray bottle in the fridge full of water and some 4711 cologne, remember that? Spray face and arms. Cold shower before bed and no nightie.

yogitree Fri 12-Aug-22 12:07:00

Esspee

Bazza

Esspee, is that all?!

I do have a smile on my face.

I'm sure I would too! In another lifetime we went to a nudist camp in the former Yugoslavia. It certainly was an eye-opener with all these German people sitting at the bar chatting and JOGGING naked lol. I'm so glad I had some crazy adventure in my life.

suzikyoo Fri 12-Aug-22 12:08:57

Always just a smile!

GrauntyHelen Fri 12-Aug-22 12:13:14

As little as possible I've a kimono on today as I had a food shop delivered no underwear I only wear a bra outside the house Even the dog knows I'm going out out when he sees the bra go on lol

Shel69 Fri 12-Aug-22 12:14:05

Loose cotton dress and knickers and sandals,went out like this today, but home for 11am, I have a heart condition so am careful

GrannyBeek Fri 12-Aug-22 12:20:19

So far today I have been wearing bra, pants, socks, long black trousers, long-sleeved shirt, bee suit, wellies and gauntlets. All at the same time. The honey has to be harvested! Now off for a cold shower and a kaftan.

Peaseblossom Fri 12-Aug-22 12:21:55

I have three long thin cotton crinkly Indian skirts. I bought them about 30 years ago in Romford market. They are the type that you roll into a sausage shape and tie in a knot and store them like that to keep the crinkles in. I wear them indoors pulled down to the waist with no underwear on. If I go out the garden I’ll pull them up to under my armpits. If anyone knocks at the door I quickly pop a top on. I would not go out in them, because the slightest breeze and they would be over my head!

TwiceAsNice Fri 12-Aug-22 12:25:21

Vest top and shorts knickers underneath usually a bra but sometimes not. At night a sleeveless nightie. I’m on holiday in Turkey at the moment so inside the villa with the A/C. Other family have gone on a boat trip but I hate boats so having a peaceful day on my own

MissLemonsLoveChild Fri 12-Aug-22 12:27:51

Just bra and panties today - doing some solo housework. They are matching from M&S though....

Bedtime naked.

Lupatria Fri 12-Aug-22 12:28:56

a short bandeau dress - nothing else apart from my perfume and jewellery.

Amalegra Fri 12-Aug-22 12:32:02

Today, floaty midi skirt and camisole top, pants, strapless bra , light sandals as I’m off into town. Later: lovely cool kaftan and tonight a strappy nightdress as grandson staying. Usually in bed it’s nothing in this heat!

HazelEyes Fri 12-Aug-22 12:35:04

I always go out or see people, so shorts and t shirt or summer dress. Summer pjs in bed.

singingnutty Fri 12-Aug-22 12:35:29

Since having Shingles round my ribs on the right side I find it very difficult to wear a bra at the best of times. I have found some old stretchy ones to wear if I am going out, but take bra off if at home and uncomfortable during the day. I have about 3 loose cotton dresses so am alternating those at the moment. I couldn't go without knickers. I never wear shorts as my legs are absolutely awful to look at. This heat is difficult but after 41 degrees here three weeks ago it's bearable. The tomatoes in the greenhouse actually cooked on the vine!

Cossy Fri 12-Aug-22 12:38:56

Very loose midi dresses, curtains shut and lots of water or juice !! Hate this heat ! It’s ok if you have the sea and air con !

krazykat Fri 12-Aug-22 12:41:04

Long loose cotton dress, no bra but I do need pants on to stop my colostomy bag flopping about

Durga Fri 12-Aug-22 12:50:53

Knickers, loose cotton dresses bought in Mexico called huipils

Sharina Fri 12-Aug-22 12:52:03

Thin cotton cropped trousers, loose sleeveless tops. Unfortunately I’m too busty to go without underwear! And too afraid of falling!

Baggs Fri 12-Aug-22 12:52:54

Our house is always cool on hot days. On some days this week I have needed two layers of clothing on my top half, sometimes three.

Currently it is 18º outside but that feels too hot for me in direct sun. I'm doing short blasts of clearing a path and some steps of weeds so that when it does rain (possibly tomorrow) we don't get wet legs walking up to the shed.

Outdoors I'm working in jeans (leg protection while I'm strimming and leg protection from cleg bites; I got several yesterday when I went out in shorts) and swimsuit top which also covers my midriff, and a head and torso covering midge jacket against all the other biting beasties.

It's lovely summer weather.

Cambia Fri 12-Aug-22 12:59:43

Baggy Indian trousers crop top and undies. Espee make sure you have your sun factor on especially in sensitive places!!

Authoress Fri 12-Aug-22 13:14:47

Merino wool dresses. The simplest, coolest garments I've ever come across; much cooler than cotton or linen.

lazysuze Fri 12-Aug-22 13:18:02

Loose cotton vest dress and knickers and stay in the shade after 10am

Mollygo Fri 12-Aug-22 13:21:37

Underwear, shorts or cropped trousers and loose tops always with crocs.

Happysexagenarian Fri 12-Aug-22 13:22:42

Strapless bra (my boobs need all the help they can get whatever the weather!), knickers and a midi length loose cotton sundress from Roman. I have several similar dresses which have hardly been worn until now. On cooler days I wear cropped trousers with loose floaty tops, baggy t-shirts or strappy sun tops.

I'm sitting the the coolest room in our house right now, the living room. I'm only here because I can't get the broadband signal in the shadier part of the garden. Every door and window is open, there's a gentle breeze, and cool air is drifting through. The temperature is 30 in the house and 37 in the garden last time I looked.

As long as I don't have to go anywhere or be too active I'm quite enjoying having some 'proper' summer weather, though I know it will end sometime, probably at the end of the month when our son comes to stay, he always brings rain with him!

mrsgreenfingers56 Fri 12-Aug-22 13:26:12

A huge big dress which would get half of Gransnetters in! Very flowing and light and no knickers! But don't out without nics - honestly!

Glenfinnan Fri 12-Aug-22 13:27:08

A few of you wearing kaftans! Where do you buy them please

Bluemini62 Fri 12-Aug-22 13:36:50

Baggy linen dress , hair pinned up . Sit on the pets cooling gel pad that the cat refuses to sit on !