Gransnet forums

Chat

What in your view is common ?

(219 Posts)
Floradora9 Thu 11-Aug-22 09:06:23

I was telling a friend about a neighbour who was having a hot tub delivered and her immediate reply was " Oh how common " . I was reading Lady Hales' biography " Spider Woman A Life ." in it she mentioned tht she and her sisters got the Girl comic as the Dandy and Beano were common . She was the president of the Supreme Court who rule Boris out of order for suspending parliament. She also quoted from her teenage diary how she had disliked the catholic chruches in Austria , too ornate. By the way give her book a miss it is so boring and I do not agree with her views.
The only things I do find common are men wearing sleevless vest tops and anyone covered in tatoos.

storynanny Sat 20-Aug-22 13:05:40

Sara, predictably, jelly shoes were the height of summer commonness as ….. they were worn WITHOUT sock! Horrors of horrors!

storynanny Sat 20-Aug-22 13:09:09

Re the pierced ears. I had mine done aged 18 years and 1 day, and never told my mother that aged 45 I had a second piercing!

Witzend Sun 21-Aug-22 10:34:54

Goodness, I don’t recall any such things as jelly shoes when I was a child - some of you must be an awful lot younger than I am! If we had any sort of beach-type shoes, they’d be old plimsolls, or gym shoes, as we called them then.

Callistemon21 Sun 21-Aug-22 10:53:08

Witzend

Goodness, I don’t recall any such things as jelly shoes when I was a child - some of you must be an awful lot younger than I am! If we had any sort of beach-type shoes, they’d be old plimsolls, or gym shoes, as we called them then.

My children had jelly shoes, I certainly didn't.

FannyCornforth Sun 21-Aug-22 10:58:20

Jelly shoes definitely had a moment around 1983. It was when everything was very monochrome, with berets and girls wearing ties.
Jelly shoes added that ‘pop’ of colour!
I had a bright pink pair. Worn with white socks and ankle grazer trousers.
I was clearly having my ‘Million Dollar Moment’ when I was 11 on holiday in Cornwall! ?

FannyCornforth Sun 21-Aug-22 11:03:31

Omg! Look at the price of these!
www.gucci.com/uk/en_gb/pr/women/shoes-for-women/sandals-thongs-for-women/flat-sandals-for-women/womens-sandal-with-double-g-p-676970JFM005305?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQjwr4eYBhDrARIsANPywCi7uhohia10b_3ogfKATAlLg682fHoHp73g9j-VUf170ujNU8Pd6CIaAgwnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

JaneJudge Sun 21-Aug-22 11:04:42

crikey at the price of them. You could buy them in the indoor market!

FannyCornforth Sun 21-Aug-22 11:08:19

Welcome home Jane!?

sandelf Sun 21-Aug-22 11:29:55

At a tangent... A while ago we lived near a 'rough'estate. Used to go to the local shop for the occasional newspaper. Mum (who was VERY down to earth, used to be addressed at 'madam' (very nicely) - I realised it was because they knew she bought a broadsheet newspaper. Tee Hee.

Sara1954 Sun 21-Aug-22 13:44:10

I don’t think they were called jelly shoes, but we certainly had them, this would have been around 1960, and they came from Woolworths.

Sara1954 Sun 21-Aug-22 13:46:11

I remember quite specifically, I had brand new ones and trod in a cow pat, and my granny spent ages scrubbing into every little gap so that my mum wouldn’t know.

biglouis Sun 21-Aug-22 14:12:35

I had my ears pierced when I was 16 and a woman I worked with said it was common. I reminded her that the queen (and many of the senior royals) had pierced ears otherwise she would not have been able to wear some of the heavy antique earrings she inherited. They would have been far too heavy and uncomfortable to convert to clips. That certainly shut her up.

My mother regarded wearing a headscarf tied under the chin as common. Again the queen wore them outdoors for riding and walking and still wears.

storynanny Sun 21-Aug-22 19:08:30

I think they were called plastic sandals when I was little.
One of my sons had a pair of Thomas the tank engine jelly shoes when he was little. Lost one in the sea on our local beach the first time he wore them. I can still remember how upset he was and how inwardly cross I was as we had so little money at the time!

Sara1954 Sun 21-Aug-22 19:57:40

Storynanny
Yes I think you could be right

hollysteers Mon 22-Aug-22 22:58:09

My DH thought my neighbour’s purpose built bar to entertain in the family house was tacky (common?)
He just liked a drinks table.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 23-Aug-22 08:48:26

I agree with him. I saw a house advertised yesterday with its own bar, almost flagged up in neon lights by the estate agent. My first thought - yes, How Common. I always think the same of hot tubs too. A near neighbour where we used to live had one and the other neighbours all thought it was gross so we weren’t alone. It did provide a talking point though!

Callistemon21 Tue 23-Aug-22 09:56:58

We bought a house which had a bar in a corner of the sitting room. It was the first thing that was ripped out!

Doodledog Tue 23-Aug-22 11:56:58

My great aunt had one of those globe ones that opened around the equator to reveal bottles covered in crochet poodles. I thought it was amazing, and vowed to get one just like it when I grew up.

My mum disapproved not only of that, but of her loo-roll covers, the doilies on every surface, the felt cats holding bottles of scent (Sophisticats?) and the ashtray on a pedestal that revolved when you pressed a button on the top. I didn't understand what 'common' meant at that age, but I knew it was much more fun at my aunt's house than at home.