Gransnet forums

Chat

Win a Million Pound House

(34 Posts)
Doodledog Thu 11-Aug-22 12:00:01

What do you make of those draws to win a luxury house, with added cars and cash prizes?

At my age I could sell up and relocate to Cornwall (where the current house is sited) I suppose; but younger families can't just upticks and move to the Lake District, or the Cotswolds or wherever the prize is, and running houses like these as second homes is going to cost a lot of money. I'm not sure that I want to move away from friends and family though - without a job to go to or contacts in the area, starting again would be difficult.

Do you enter the draws, and if so, what would you do if you won? The ads say that you can sell them or rent them out if you don't want to live in them, but that's another responsibility I'm not sure I want. The houses do look lovely though.

Georgesgran Fri 12-Aug-22 16:04:44

The ads are on tv quite often, especially coming to the end of each competition and often feature a ‘celebrity’ comment at the end. I think the current house to win is in Kent and being endorsed by Mylene Klass.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 12-Aug-22 16:11:40

There are some comments on our sister site MN about these - apparently some of the houses are difficult to sell due to past problems like flooding, so not easily mortgageable or difficulties with insurance.

Although it would seem wonderful to win I wonder what would happen if you tried to sell but couldn't find a buyer - could it become a millstone round your neck? I believe the first years living costs are included - but then what?

These things seem great in theory ... but I think I'll stick with my little house. Despite its shortcomings, it's home.

AreWeThereYet Fri 12-Aug-22 16:12:29

I have seen a few of the ads but we record stuff so I'm never quite sure whether ads current or not. They're expensive prizes so I hope the charities see something out of it.

I've always thought I would just sell the house or car and use the proceeds to build the house I want in the place I want.

Georgesgran Sat 13-Aug-22 10:09:20

The ad for the current prize in Kent is coming up on this site. Out of curiosity, I had a look and it seems there’s an additional £50K to help out the winner with household bills/council tax whilst they decide if they want to keep it or sell.

Mapleleaf Sat 13-Aug-22 10:26:47

I’ve seen the ads, but never entered. Such huge, glass fronted houses hold no appeal for me. They look anything but cosy. As Blinko says, all that glass in these high temperatures must be a nightmare unless they are treated in some way? Also, how do you protect your furnishings from fading in the bright sunlight, unless they can be fitted with some sort of blinds, which defeats the purpose of picture windows, I suppose?

Kim19 Sat 13-Aug-22 11:36:28

My plan 'is' to sell immediately!

Shinamae Sat 13-Aug-22 15:25:01

The one I really liked was just outside Ilfracombe in Combe Martin… but still had bloody great Windows!!

oliversnana Sat 13-Aug-22 17:01:07

Someone half an hour away from us has won one.
It's your choice whether you keep it sell it or rent it. Nice dilemma I think