Gransnet forums

Chat

What comics did you read as a child?

(173 Posts)
Blossoming Thu 11-Aug-22 22:54:24

Following on from some comments in the ‘Common’ thread, what did you read and enjoy?

As a large family of boys and girls we had a mixture. The Beano (probably everyone’s favourite), Beezer, Topper, Eagle and Rover. Our cousins who lived nearby had Bunty and Dandy so we could read those too. Later on we had ‘Look and Learn’ and I started reading Jackie as a teenager.

SachaMac Fri 12-Aug-22 10:57:21

We used to really look forward to having our comics delivered, I had Princess Tina and my sister had Twinkle. When I went to secondary school I’d buy Jackie on the way home, loved the posters, I had the full length one of Marc Bolan up for years.

GrandmasueUK Fri 12-Aug-22 11:09:48

My mum and dad used to enjoy our comics too. My brother and I used to have Bunty and Dandy on Mondays and then Judy, Schoolfriend (which merged to become June and Schoolfriend) and Beano on Wednesdays. We used to get Beezer, Topper and Whizzer and Chips at the weekends. We always got the annuals at Christmas and the summer specials.
I still collect the annuals and have numerous Bunty, Judy, Schoolfriend and Girls Crystal.

Witzend Fri 12-Aug-22 11:20:28

Between the 4 of us, Dandy, Beano, Schoolfriend, Bunty, Judy.

Later I’d buy Jackie (I think), considered trashy by my mother. I well remember being told to ‘Put that away and look at the beautiful scenery!’ during a monumentally tedious (to me) driving holiday around Scotland.
At 13 or 14 I gave not a toss about scenery! That experience put me off ‘driving’ holidays for life.

HeavenLeigh Fri 12-Aug-22 11:22:19

Beans topper when was very young, and Diana and Jackie as got older

pandapatch Fri 12-Aug-22 11:42:37

Oh I remember Nurse Susan and Dr David (though I didn't remember the name of the comic) I had Bunty then Jackie. Used to put the photos of pop stars up on my wall

rockgran Fri 12-Aug-22 11:44:05

Judy -...... "Sandra of the Secret Ballet" was my favourite. I still remember the prizes for competitions were:-

"A leotard, a hockey holdall or a rolled gold locket and chain."

As a young child I got the Beano and remember once saving it to read on the way to Scotland in the back of a bike and sidecar.
Happy Days!

Mine Fri 12-Aug-22 11:52:18

I bought the Mandy and my sister bought the Judy from our pocket money...Mum would buy us the Bunty between us to read...As I got a bit older I bought the Jackie and a Mars bar every week...I'd go to my bed early that night and munch my Mars bar and read my Jackie....Happy days....grin

FarNorth Fri 12-Aug-22 11:54:51

Aged 5&1/2, I begged my parents to buy me the first issue of Bunty which was to include a ladybird ring.
I must have seen it advertised in the Sunday Post, I think.
I kept asking, and they kept being non-comittal.
On the big day, I came home from school and saw a duster lying flat on the table.
"What's under that duster?"
"Dust!"
Of course, it was Bunty with the ladybird ring which I kept for many years and may still have somewhere.

FarNorth Fri 12-Aug-22 11:59:42

^ I’m pretty sure I used to have one called Playhour^
Thank you. I was trying to remember the name. I loved that comic.

Shel69 Fri 12-Aug-22 12:17:19

Beano and later Mirabelle, now buy the Beano for my grandchildren

twiglet77 Fri 12-Aug-22 12:22:25

I had Diana, Judy, then Jackie, and Valentine, as well as Pony, Riding, and Horse & Hound.

Liaise Fri 12-Aug-22 12:23:48

I had the Girl and the Girls Chrystal at different times. The boy up the road had the Eagle. His parents and mine used to swop them which meant that that the adults were reading childrens comics. I’ve often thought about it but never asked them. Too late now.

fairfraise Fri 12-Aug-22 12:30:31

I had Bunty and Judy for a few years. Were The Four Marys in one of them? My sisters and I loved the free gifts. We had an aunt who would come to see us every Monday and she often brought a copy of Princess. We also had Dandy. Later on I liked Girls' Crystal and Schoolfriend. Jackie came round when my sisters were teenagers and then Petticoat.

Esmay Fri 12-Aug-22 12:47:03

Bunny was my all time favourite because of the cut out doll and clothes I thought that it was marvellous.
I also had Judy .

I read my cousin's Beano Dandy etc and played with the train set that I longed to have !

When I hit adolescence I read Jackie - that was quickly banned for being unsuitable .

Later on , developing skills to have fun and get away with it - I bought Petticoat !

Reubenblue Fri 12-Aug-22 12:50:16

I seem to remember when I was very small having Jack and Jill, but my memory could be playing tricks.

fairfraise Fri 12-Aug-22 12:53:27

There was one called Jack and Jill. Colourful. Might have had Harold the Hare. I'll google now!

fairfraise Fri 12-Aug-22 12:55:11

Yes he was in it!

Calendargirl Fri 12-Aug-22 12:56:19

fairfraise

Yes, The Four Marys were in Bunty.

Mary Simpson, Mary Radleigh, Mary Cotter and Mary Field.

They were in the 3rd Form at St Elmo’s School For Girls.

Miss Creef was their form teacher, and Doctor Gull the head.

(It’s over 60 years ago I started reading about them, is it sad I remember so much? Should I get out more?)

smile

Maggierose Fri 12-Aug-22 12:59:59

I had Girl and Schoolfriend, later Bunty. Girl had lives of famous women on the back page. Schoolfriend had the 4 Mary’s or was that Bunty?

fairfraise Fri 12-Aug-22 13:02:02

I loved The Four Marys. There was one story where Mary Cotter was lying on a train track, injured or saving something, (I can't remember which) and the train went straight over her. She lay in the middle of the rails and survived!!! I always wanted to go to boarding school, they seemed to have such fun.

Sago Fri 12-Aug-22 13:14:00

I wasn’t allowed comics but would get second dibs at my brothers Dandy and Beano.
I remember someone buying me a comic with a free gift it was a Bluebird ring, it turned my finger a funny colour so was confiscated.
For a while though I thought I had the world!

My dream was to read Jackie in the privacy of my own bedroom, it was never meant to be, my mother thought it was the gateway to all debauchery.
So I had to make do with a quick read of friends copies at school.

If there had been comics such as “Mary and the lovely nuns” or
one that allowed you to collect and create your own Rosary beads then I would have had a subscription to each?.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 12-Aug-22 13:47:00

Robin then Swift (my favourite) then Girl. My brother had Eagle. For some reason my mother didn't approve much of Bunty or Judy, but I read them at my friends' houses.

Does anyone remember Morning Rays? We used to get it at Primary Sunday School (CoS).

Hellogirl1 Fri 12-Aug-22 15:47:01

Beano, Dandy and Schoolfriend. My husband`s mother had to keep buying Eagle comic until the last of her brood got married, aged 32!

Grandma70s Fri 12-Aug-22 15:59:22

We weren’t allowed comics. We had to read proper books. Oddly enough I never queried this, although I longed for Schoolfriend.

When I grew up I rebelled by buying the Beano for my son. It didn’t stop him reading proper books.

Patsy70 Fri 12-Aug-22 16:16:27

As a child we had our papers/magazines delivered and the comics my sisters and I had were Tiny Tots’; ‘Topper’ and ‘School Friend’. My friend and I used to act out the stories in ‘School Friend’.