Gransnet forums

Chat

What comics did you read as a child?

(173 Posts)
Blossoming Thu 11-Aug-22 22:54:24

Following on from some comments in the ‘Common’ thread, what did you read and enjoy?

As a large family of boys and girls we had a mixture. The Beano (probably everyone’s favourite), Beezer, Topper, Eagle and Rover. Our cousins who lived nearby had Bunty and Dandy so we could read those too. Later on we had ‘Look and Learn’ and I started reading Jackie as a teenager.

harold Mon 15-Aug-22 22:28:51

I think I had a Mickey Mouse comic, then later School Friend, Eagle and Girl - but not all at once. Dan dare was my favourite character and I can see the Mekon now in my mind.

annodomini Mon 15-Aug-22 22:46:49

We weren't allowed to have the Dandy and Beano but I read them in the waiting room before my weekly piano lesson. When Girl came on the scene, that was, somehow more -I hesitate to say - highbrow! I got the very first edition with the little ' gold' badge for my blazer lapel. Then we also had School Friend and I believe there was a similar one called Girls Crystal.

TiggyW Mon 15-Aug-22 22:56:29

TV21 was my favourite - all the Gerry Anderson stories, Thunderbirds, Stingray, etc. and Lady Penelope!
Our local paper shop stocked the imported American superhero mags - Superman was my favourite. ?

GreenGran78 Mon 15-Aug-22 23:12:19

Youngeil. I'm glad you mentioned Film Fun. No one else has, and I was beginning to think that I'd dreamed it up. I'm pretty sure that there was a Radio Fun too.

My parents never bought comics for us, as money was in short supply in our house. A friend gave me a bundle that she had finished with, and I was thrilled. I was avidly reading them, and when my father told me to put them away because it was time for bed I lingered. He scooped the whole lot up and threw them on the fire.

I think that it was a long time before anything devastated me as much as losing those precious comics!

Elrel Mon 15-Aug-22 23:38:02

I remember seeing Film Fun and Radio Fun. There was a strip cartoon in Radio Fun featuring Petula Clark - what a trouper she is.
I had Chicks Own then Sunny Stories then a cowboy comic whose name I forget. I found some of the cowboy stories scary. Later I greatly enjoyed School Friend and Girls Crystal. I remember Girl coming out. I never had Beano or Dandy myself but loved reading them at my neighbours’ house.
Many decades later a (single and childless at the time) friend intrigued her newsagent with her regular order of the Financial Times and Beano!

Poppyjo Tue 16-Aug-22 02:48:39

I had Schoolfruend and Girls crystal every week. I still have some annuals. My favourite story was about the Silent Three an d I remember asking if I could go to boarding school to join them ?. Also likedDilly Dream.
Happy memories

Whiff Tue 16-Aug-22 05:13:22

Bunty then when I was older Jackie. My brother and husband both read Dandy and Beano.

Nantotwo Tue 16-Aug-22 07:55:17

I had the usual as already mentioned above, Dandy, Beano, Bunty etc but not on a regular basis as I didn't have much in the way of regular pocket money. I did start reading a story in one of them where children got carried up in to the sky by a red balloon...just a normal sized balloon, it was mildly sinister and I loved that. I never got to the end of that story to find out what happened to them and it bugs me to this day.

Grammy666 Tue 16-Aug-22 08:12:22

Yes BUNTY .. I loved this comic and especially Moira the Ballerina , who practised ballet in her kitchen holding onto a chair instead of a Barre ... now i do Barre class at my local gym !

Iam64 Tue 16-Aug-22 08:26:47

I had Girl, my younger sister had Bunty. Our boy cousins had Dandy and Beano. They were rather naughty boys and it shocks me to recall, I agreed with mum that those comics didn’t help ?

Vintagejazz Tue 16-Aug-22 08:39:33

The first comic I had was Twinkle, then I moved on to Bunty, Judy and Mandy. As a teenager I rad Jackie, Pink and one called something like Fab 101.
I also loved my brother's Dandy, Beano, Beeper and Whizzer and Chips. Some of them brought out a Summer bumper special.

Vintagejazz Tue 16-Aug-22 08:39:52

Beezer not Beeper.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 16-Aug-22 10:12:31

We had the Dandy, the Beano etc. Then the School Friend and the Girl came out. The Eagle was about that time. I also had a Canadian school friend who sent me the Archie comics which I loved. She also sent Horror comics and they really were horror. In one a man brought his wife back from the dead and as she stretched her loving arms out to him she was a ghastly skeleton ?. Another about a train ride when everyone was dead. In the flats we lived in it was common for kids to knock and ask if you wanted to swap comics. If my younger brother was out I would swop for him. This habit continued until after I had done this for him one day (sitting on the stairs outside) my mother suggested that I was getting too old to be doing that. I was 16. On the other hand I read sooo many books.

Kikibee Tue 16-Aug-22 12:12:46

I remember 2 magazines for children called Treasure and Tell me Why? I loved the facts and lovely stories in these, i wonder if anyone else remembers these? . Also comics I really enjoyed were the Beano and Beezer....

GillJames Tue 16-Aug-22 13:53:35

I also loved Petticoat and Honey when I was older. I also remember one blissful summer holiday devouring a whole pile of back numbers of Bunty from my cousin. I loved th cut-out clothes on th back covers and I even designed several of my own for Bunty.

Elrel Tue 16-Aug-22 14:06:02

A boyfriend once said to me ‘Can I paste you onto firm card and cut you out and keep you?’
A memorably original ‘sweet nothing’ which I still recall with a smile.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 16-Aug-22 14:26:33

We had the beano and dandy and when dad was abroad for a year to work we use to send it to him as he loved it

Claudiaclaws Tue 16-Aug-22 14:35:57

I had Bunty and Judy after a lot of pleading. But before I had them I used to read a friends. I remember one week there was an episode of a serial where a girl, I'm sure she was called Christine was playing a tennis match and passed out at the end but we didn't know whether she had won or not. We would have found out the following week but I never did get to read that episode. I always did wonder.
And, does anyone remember Honey magazine which was for older teenagers and 20s which came out about the late 60s I loved that. There was a shop in Bournemouth called Honey Boutique, and I bought a very short white lace dress from there. Happy days.

Jools22 Tue 16-Aug-22 20:39:07

All the way through the 60s until 73 when I left school was the Valiant was the comic to have. It was always a race between me and my father to get to the letterbox as he loved it as much as I did

JdotJ Tue 16-Aug-22 20:46:04

Twinkle, then Bunty, then Jackie

Granmarderby10 Wed 17-Aug-22 23:09:59

What was the one with the Bash Street Kids . I liked that one

Granmarderby10 Wed 17-Aug-22 23:16:21

Froggyspawn there was nothing comical about Look And Learn. More like Look & Yawn ?- the funny thing I suppose was that my Dad thought I liked it for what seemed like years!