Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this a thing now in impoverished Britain

(140 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Fri 12-Aug-22 11:31:11

I’m sitting on my patio just thinking about how dull the slabs are.
The Times has come to my rescue. Outdoor rugs!! Who knew they were a thing? The one I like is only £640.78. I don’t think it’s big enough though, I’ll have to have 2.

pinkjj27 Mon 15-Aug-22 17:00:39

I have had one for years now as the paving gets hot on my GK feet. Also they like to sit on it and craft. mine is trip and mould proof, I got mine in a sustainable farmers market it was large and about only about £20 but you can buy the anywhere now .

M0nica Mon 15-Aug-22 17:15:38

We need to remember that if houses are too expensive they do not sell.

Round where I live the builders are throwing up houses costing £600,000 and more and they sell like hot cakes, as do the less expensive ones. Cheapest (older) or housing eproperties are around £150,000, but really £200,000 is the starting price unless you buy part of a property and rent the rest. But everything sells, so there are plenty of people who can afford the properties on the market.

We need to remember that in the past a third of the population, those on lowest incomes, looked to the council to provide a decent house and life long tenancy. Many of them would never considered buying a house since they could rely on the council for their housing. The selling ofmcouncil houses for low prices gave some people unrealistic expectations of house ownership, while the reduction in the council housing stock and replacement with Housing Association and rent/buy offers means that people are forced into trying to buy a house, even though their chances of buying one will be low in prosperous areas like the southe east.

win Mon 15-Aug-22 17:46:35

This is a very judgemental forum to say the least. I thought the idea was to support each other. The world over there are rich and people who struggle to buy necessities, are you seriously suggesting they ones who CAN AFFORD TO BUY LUXURIES STOP BUYING. How ludicrous is that, they have earned their money or perhaps inherited it, whichever, it is their's to do what they wish with it. These comments are sheer jealousy.

Norah Mon 15-Aug-22 17:55:11

win

This is a very judgemental forum to say the least. I thought the idea was to support each other. The world over there are rich and people who struggle to buy necessities, are you seriously suggesting they ones who CAN AFFORD TO BUY LUXURIES STOP BUYING. How ludicrous is that, they have earned their money or perhaps inherited it, whichever, it is their's to do what they wish with it. These comments are sheer jealousy.

Indeed.

Caleo Mon 15-Aug-22 18:54:51

Leaving garden upholstery outdoors all winter can work very well. I have a gazebo with a roof on it and extra bamboo screening on three sides. I keep a thin mattress and cushions out there in all weathers. I think the present cushions have been out there for three years. When they do become damp they dry quickly and thoroughly due to the seat made of wooden planks, and the continuous air flow.

Theoddbird Mon 15-Aug-22 19:41:05

I live on a narrow boat. The thought of a carpet on my jetty made me fall off of my chair laughing ?

Callistemon21 Mon 15-Aug-22 19:47:51

We need to remember that in the past a third of the population, those on lowest incomes, looked to the council to provide a decent house and life long tenancy

My DM told me that years ago, pre-WW2, my parents got a mortgage from the Council which helped them to buy their first home.
I'm sure my DB and SIL had a mortgage from their Council too, probably in the 1960s, to buy the house they still live in (since extended and modernised).

It might seem to be a good investment for Councils rather than some of the dodgy investments some Councils have made over the past few years.

Callistemon21 Mon 15-Aug-22 19:49:04

Theoddbird

I live on a narrow boat. The thought of a carpet on my jetty made me fall off of my chair laughing ?

Oh, go on, do it!!
Photos please ?

Callistemon21 Mon 15-Aug-22 19:50:12

win

They keep others in jobs.

grannyrebel7 Mon 15-Aug-22 19:56:04

My neighbours have one and a hot tub, an egg chair and two outdoor seating areas. Whatever happened to grass and flowers?

Nantotwo Tue 16-Aug-22 08:05:30

JenniferEccles

Whatever you do don’t talk about hosing down an outdoor rug or mat or you will get vilified by some as happened on another thread !

I would imagine the more expensive ones would be a better proposition.

Yes, I immediately thought of 'Hosegate' too.

MerylStreep Tue 16-Aug-22 08:16:17

grannyrebel7

My neighbours have one and a hot tub, an egg chair and two outdoor seating areas. Whatever happened to grass and flowers?

If they are anything like my lovely neighbours next door: they simply don’t have the time. She is a full time nurse. Out at 7 home at 5.30.
He goes out at 6.30, home at 6.
2 young children.
Prior to them having their plastic garden they were always apologising for their garden.

Joseanne Tue 16-Aug-22 08:56:46

Hasn't the whole outdoor living thing come about from covid and the al fresco gatherings we were allowed, or not? I remember in 2020 all the garden furniture and accessories flying off the shelves as people tried to find a little oasis outside the realms of their working from home base. Some of the ideas were innovative and just took outdoor living into a new enjoyable phase which has stuck.

janipans Tue 16-Aug-22 09:59:28

Many outdoor rugs, I see, are made from recycled materials so help to reduce landfill. As I see it it's no different to buying garden chairs/furniture or cushions. Gardens are treated as additional living space these days - especially after Covid - and being outdoors is good for us, so if you can afford it, why not make your garden comfortable and pretty? (Makes up for the brown dessert which used to be a lawn!)