Gransnet forums

Chat

The new emergency alert?

(72 Posts)
Mollygo Mon 15-Aug-22 18:29:24

What do you think about the warning about extreme weather conditions that will be sent to smartphones that can receive it?

BigBertha1 Wed 17-Aug-22 12:11:00

Good idea I think.

Theoddbird Wed 17-Aug-22 12:27:39

Damn good idea. I gather that it has been trialled....

homefarm Wed 17-Aug-22 13:03:53

I haven't heard about these but if they are as useful as the rain and thunderstorm warnings I shan't bother.
So far no thunderstorms or floods and only the merest patch of drizzle.
Some other unfortunate soul must be getting my share

Petera Wed 17-Aug-22 13:07:13

watermeadow

Will it also tell us how to suck eggs?

Does anyone actually know how to suck eggs?

HousePlantQueen Wed 17-Aug-22 13:10:03

A good idea I think. I assume that those who are unhappy will not be appearing on local new bulletins next to their flooded out houses moaning because 'nobody warned them'!

Katie59 Wed 17-Aug-22 13:11:25

In the US tornadoes are frequent and very life threatening so warnings are well justified, we do get flood warnings in the UK.
We don’t need SMS warnings of “hot weather”that’s over the top

Nannashirlz Wed 17-Aug-22 13:15:31

I already get flood alerts as I live next to a very big river lol

Saggi Wed 17-Aug-22 13:55:35

Dont we already get enough info from tv and radio ….do we really not know when snow is about to happen …or a heatwave is imminent !? If you can receive this message then you already must have a smart phone ….if you have a smartphone just download the BBC weather app. Never know it to be wrong!

M0nica Wed 17-Aug-22 14:17:39

Saggi You clearly do not live in a flood zone. Flooding can be very localised and sudden. Likewise blizzards, and very high winds.

Weather forecasts are vague and unreliable and my experience is that the BBC is a lot more unreliable than most.

You are also assuming everyone has smart phones. I have dyspraxia - and a smart phone, but dyspraxia makes it difficult for me to make use of the facilties smart phone offers. I have problems with sequencing, plus difficulty using those very tiny symbols. Not helped by being right handed and having 3 fingers of my right hand where the finger tips are numb

The whole point of alerts is that they warn of a near and present danger, and are not vague warnings about heatwaves due this week

AGAA4 Wed 17-Aug-22 14:22:08

I was getting warnings on my phone of extreme heat last week. Obviously I didn't know as I was flaked out in my boiling hot room.
It would be important to people in danger of flooding to be alerted in time.

glammagran Wed 17-Aug-22 14:37:01

Our BBC forecasts are constantly wrong. I often see sunny conditions are forecast for say, 2pm on a certain day and looking out of the window I can see it’s pouring with rain.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 17-Aug-22 15:41:39

Will it work on non. Smart phones, do you receive the message by text? I am thinking of the people who don’t use smart phones, mainly the elderly and some like my late daughter

Happysexagenarian Wed 17-Aug-22 15:42:21

Sounds like a good idea, but I suppose it will only really be worthwhile if people take notice of the warnings and act on them. If warnings are frequent and sometimes prove to be unnecessary people may ignore them.

PollyDolly Wed 17-Aug-22 15:47:31

Heavy rain with possible threat of flooding would be useful but an alert to say that it is going to be very hot???? Rather silly and anyone who needs it........well!!!

PollyDolly Wed 17-Aug-22 15:48:51

Barmeyoldbat

Will it work on non. Smart phones, do you receive the message by text? I am thinking of the people who don’t use smart phones, mainly the elderly and some like my late daughter

Sorry, but my friends and I are all quite elderly........and we all have smartphones

Barmeyoldbat Wed 17-Aug-22 16:03:23

Yes Polly as I do but there are still a very large number who don’t, Mr B for one.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 17-Aug-22 16:05:28

I help out teaching the elderly (I am 75) how to use a computer and most of them don’t have smart phones either.

Jaberwok Wed 17-Aug-22 16:21:16

It may be sucking eggs to some people,but surely it's better to be safe than sorry. We used to live on Exmoor near the river Barle and even in those far off days the river authorities would ring if requested (we did) to warn of the risk of flooding. It never did flood badly enough to threaten our home, but we were always glad to be made aware that it could and to be extra vigilant. A warning of very hot weather can be useful so that again you can take necessary precautions if badly affected, also make sure outdoor animals have adequate water, and cover.

Jaberwok Wed 17-Aug-22 16:23:07

Mr J and I are both in our 80's and we have smart phones and have done so for years. They're not that complicated!!!

Mollygo Wed 17-Aug-22 16:27:07

We were flooded about 6 years ago-totally unheard of in all the time I’ve lived here and so unexpected. We’d have really appreciated a warning.

M0nica Wed 17-Aug-22 17:10:13

Jaberwok No, mobile phones are not complicated, just very difficult to use if you have dyspraxia and your finger tips have no feeling.

Kate1949 Wed 17-Aug-22 18:24:13

My brother said to me recently 'Remember when we used to get weather forecasts? Now we get warnings and alerts'.

Redrobin51 Wed 17-Aug-22 19:02:50

Marvellous if you are one of the 85% of people with a smartphone but I have what I call a basic phone so no apps etc so can't receive these alerts.

annodomini Wed 17-Aug-22 19:07:17

I am perfectly at home with a smart phone so have no objection to receiving a flood warning. However, the kind of flooding I have suffered in the past few years has been caused by heavy rains for which the poorly maintained local surface drains were inadequate. My house wasn't damaged but my garden acquired a new temporary lake and many newly planted flowers and shrubs were lost. Since the last flood, the council claims to have maintained the drains, but I'm not holding my breath and don't think a flood warning will make much difference to my ability to withstand such an inundation.

Mollygo Wed 17-Aug-22 20:55:38

Redrobin51 I’m sure you’re not alone in that, but if people share the alerts they receive that will help.