Gransnet forums

Chat

The new emergency alert?

(72 Posts)
Mollygo Mon 15-Aug-22 18:29:24

What do you think about the warning about extreme weather conditions that will be sent to smartphones that can receive it?

welbeck Wed 17-Aug-22 21:03:37

i think they are sent over all mobile networks in an area, so you don't need a smart phone.

welbeck Wed 17-Aug-22 21:05:37

i remember getting some health alerts during the pandemic, and i don't have a smartphone.

Baggytrazzas Wed 17-Aug-22 22:51:02

Petera

watermeadow

Will it also tell us how to suck eggs?

Does anyone actually know how to suck eggs?

HI, I only know how to blow eggs to empty them. I don't think sucking would work!

Sawsage2 Sat 20-Aug-22 11:30:07

We get enough bad news on tv and newspapers so I do not want further bad news on my phone.

Bijou Sat 20-Aug-22 11:34:46

Have not got an a smart phone.

Nannashirlz Sat 20-Aug-22 11:56:58

I don’t think or worry I just think what a waste of our taxes

katy1950 Sat 20-Aug-22 12:04:40

There are alerts and crisis every day nowadays they become meaningless we have be made into a nanny society full of anxieties

Paperbackwriter Sat 20-Aug-22 12:14:52

Sago

We had a property on a river front, even 10 years ago I got SMS flood alerts.

I live close to the Thames. Years ago, our 'emergency alert' was a police car carrying a chap with a megaphone, coming down to shout that the tide was going to be very high. Usually at 4 am!

Theoddbird Sat 20-Aug-22 12:19:42

Excellent idea...

nipsmum Sat 20-Aug-22 12:46:07

I don't have a mobile phones Matt or otherwise. It won't affect me.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 20-Aug-22 13:52:07

Baggytrazzas I was about to say the same thing about eggs!
I recall getting some sort of alerts on my phone during the pandemic but can't remember what for.
We have family who live in Tewkesbury, who some years back,
went out in the morning and returned home later that day to unexpected flooding and were unable to get into their house - water up to the top of the ground floor so warnings might have helped them salvage their property and rescue their dog if they had been warned. So overall probably a good measure to be introduced.

Gabrielle56 Sat 20-Aug-22 16:16:38

Just great... All the numpties that buy these ridiculous gadget will have one more " app" on it that they either can't work out or don't bother using! And the chattering classes to obsess about like it even matters in the real world.....

M0nica Sat 20-Aug-22 16:35:26

Gabrielle56 Our flood warning from the Environment Agency comes through on our landline and on email.

If you live on the edge of the flood plain (it starts 20 feet away), then to have advance warning when the local stream is likely to flood, is very useful to have.

I do not have it as an app on my smart phone. I assume that is what you mean by 'ridiculous gadget' .

You may have difficulty using them, I do too, but that doesn't mean that I cannot see how useful they are. The satnav app recently enabled me to drive a friend 100 miles to a city I am unfamiliar with to take her to a hospital whose location I did not know, when the police rang her to say her daughter had been an emergency admission to hospital and was unconscious.

Nantotwo Sat 20-Aug-22 18:02:54

Good point....did you warltch Undeclared War on TV?

Hithere Sat 20-Aug-22 18:48:49

In the US, i have been getting them from years - snow, thunderstorms, tornados, extreme weather in general

However, I only get them in the area I am currently located at the moment

I would like to receive them if there is anything going on in my zipcode.

LtEve Sat 20-Aug-22 21:01:28

The warning system does not require an app, ridiculous or not. It will be a very localised warning system which may well save lives and property. I really can’t see why it is something to moan about.

SueDonim Sun 21-Aug-22 00:46:08

Gabrielle56

Just great... All the numpties that buy these ridiculous gadget will have one more " app" on it that they either can't work out or don't bother using! And the chattering classes to obsess about like it even matters in the real world.....

A ridiculous gadget such as the one you must have used to write the above post?

HeavenLeigh Sun 21-Aug-22 10:05:58

Great idea

henetha Sun 21-Aug-22 10:52:23

Those who are so dismissive of this, and so insulting, should at least get their facts right, Gabrielle56.

JaneJudge Sun 21-Aug-22 10:53:49

I've had warnings in the past about rain/flooding off our local authority too

GreyKnitter Sun 21-Aug-22 15:04:15

Sounds like a good idea to me.